Southco Keyless Entry system issues

Ernest-T

We are having trouble with our keyless entry. We put a new battery in and it worked for a while but now won't work at all. This has happened twice now. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

jbeletti

Re: keyless entry

Ernest,

The name of the lock manufacturer is Southco. I don't have the paper now, but we include a single page set of product details and instructions with each RV that is equipped with the system. Did you get this sheet with in your blue packet?

I suggest you phone Heartland Customer Service today at 877-262-8032 to discuss the issue.

Jim

thanks jim i'll give them a call.
We also are having same issue with keyless 3 on dealer lot doing same thing battery last 2 days quit working the dealer had southco and heartland on phone southco was not very giving he said . I think they have issue as the model that is in 2011 keypad sounds as if it is not available now my question is still what are they going to do about it.:mad:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

We also are having same issue with keyless 3 on dealer lot doing same thing battery last 2 days quit working the dealer had southco and heartland on phone southco was not very giving he said . I think they have issue as the model that is in 2011 keypad sounds as if it is not available now my question is still what are they going to do about it.:mad:
watersmark, remain calm but persistent with your dealer and Heartland. Call Heartland Customer Service directly if you don't get any satisfaction from your dealer.

Willym

As discussed in some other posts, make sure that the keypad battery is making good contact in it's holder. Mine wasn't, but since I fixed it, it has worked flawlessly.

danemayer

Mine stopped working because of dirty contacts on the door - the spring loaded contacts near the door hinge.

sdagro

Took my keypad apart as per my instructions by Lippert and was told to check battery. Upon removal of cover and rubber boot I found corrosion all over the circuit board. Another pad was sent to my dealer and I will be there 1st thing tomorrow morning to have it installed and reset. Hope this fixes the problem for good. Steve A. Dagro

Did your dealer require you to take your fifth wheel to them for inspection? Mine does, otherwise we'll have to pay.

chris4905

There is also some Owner's Manual documentation on this Owners Forum site.

Go to to tab at the top of this Owners Forum labeled Tools............

Tools/Heatland Owner's Manuals/Exterior/Doors/Southco(s)

The owner's manual give's some informatin you would not know without the Manual.

TomD

I had the dead battery syndrome this spring and after replacing the battery (you need jeweler type phillips screw driver). After about 3 days of working it quit again. I checked the contacts on the lower hinge side of the door and sure enough the two male contacts were almost black. After using emery cloth to clean them, the door now locks and unlocks with a loud snap.

TomD

Dave49

I have the keyless entry also. But i have never used it as I have a problem with the fact if it doesn't unlock when you get back, how to heck you going to get in. If the battery is dead it wont work. Maybe there is more to this than I know. I just fail to use it.

Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Dave, we use our keyless entry all the time. I think it's great. Of course if it does fail I will use my holdout key. No problem.

Peace
Dave

Westcoast

Where the heck is the battery located, apparently I need to replace mine and have no idea where to find it.
Cheers

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

Where the heck is the battery located, apparently I need to replace mine and have no idea where to find it.
Cheers

The battery is in the keypad. You have to remove the pad carefully and using a jewelers screwdriver remove the screws. It uses a 2032 battery. I bought some 3M outdoor double sided tape to re-mount it. Cheap enough since it has to be done about every 4-6 months. No it's not a great design. But it does work good when it works.

JJOren

Folks are comparing this to the 'wireless' fob for unlocking the car. I really don't know how many cars I've had with keyless unlocking. NEVER lost a battery and some of them ran for years. The idea of having to replace the battery in months is ludicrous. This is obviously a faulty design!

MaryandSteve

Past Indiana Chapter Leader (Founding)

Im glad ours came with the key fob instead of the key pad after all that I have read on this forum.