Refrige - can it operate while I drive down the road?

I am trying to get a grip on the Fridge.... can it run off electric power while I pull down the road - my guess is yes, why not? It would run off the the DC power which would be being charged from my truck through the electical connection, right?

also, do most fridges come with the capability of running off of elec and propane depending on availability?

thnxx for your comments~

Lin

rvn4fun

Most refrigerators now just run off of ac or propane, when you are hooked up at the campground you will be on AC, when you unplug you will be on propane if you have your control button set to auto. If you turn your fridge to off on the front panel, it will be off. Our model does not have any dc on it.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Lin ,

Most Owners run there fridge as they travel down the road . We've owned 5 rv's and with out fail the fridge has been on when traveling . So It would be using propane & DC for controls . The good news is if you have a problem with AC in most cases you can convert back to the other !!

truknutt

Committed Member
Most refrigerators now just run off of ac or propane, when you are hooked up at the campground you will be on AC, when you unplug you will be on propane if you have your control button set to auto. If you turn your fridge to off on the front panel, it will be off. Our model does not have any dc on it.

...and have your propane turned on. Ask me how we found out! Had it set to AUTO and plugged into a receptacle off my Dad's garage. We went back home for a couple days due to an emegency. Did I mention that Dad is a little frugal and turned the breaker off in the house that fed the garage main? Meat no good, ice cream no good and ice returned to liquid state. Forgot the LP. :eek:

oh deary ~ sounds like a BIG MESS! I am curious if if you have a dedicated 30 amp / 50 amp outlet installed at your Dads for your RV when you are home to visit? My daughter is building on to her stick and brick, and we are wondering if I should have a BIG RIG dedicated outlet installed for use when I vist my little grandbabies..... thoughts?

makes perfect sense.... thnxx so much - my heart is smiling knowing this... we had a motor home prior - it was a bounder - and this was quite a few years ago... and we were lucky to get the darn fridge to work even when perfectly level, sitting still, plugged in bla bla bla.... thnx so much for your response~

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Most refrigerators Do Not work on AC only.....they are 12 volt DC or Propane. They will work on AC power only if your 120 VAC to 12 VDC Converter is in working order. I had my converter go out and the fridg, furnace, ect will not work with AC power.

jbeletti

oh deary ~ sounds like a BIG MESS! I am curious if if you have a dedicated 30 amp / 50 amp outlet installed at your Dads for your RV when you are home to visit? My daughter is building on to her stick and brick, and we are wondering if I should have a BIG RIG dedicated outlet installed for use when I vist my little grandbabies..... thoughts?

The last time I visited my Mom, I had my RV backed into her driveway and up against the garage, for the first time. I added a dedicated 30 amp circuit to her breaker panel and a 30 amp RV outlet outside the garage. Very handy to have! Do it for sure :) 30 amp or 50 amp - your choice. If you have 2 air conditioners and may be camping there and need both, go for the 50 amp circuit.

Jim

Riverman

We added a 50 amp plug last year when we built our new garage in consideration of inlaws huge 5er.....never thought at the time we would have something to plug in there ourselves. Really glad we did now!

thnxxx Jim..... I have read that you cannot plug in to house power without doing damage to the rv electricals.... but that being said, I am sure that not everyone adds a specific outlet for the occasional visit.. hmm.. interesting question...

jgallego

We have a 50 amp rv outlet on our driveway. That way when we have it over to load it we can run everything.

Jaime

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have a dedicated 50amp at the end of our driveway. Keep the Landmark plugged in when home. Has come in handy several times also. It is a must have (imho) if you are keeping your RV at home.

truknutt

Committed Member

Yes we have both a 30 and 50 amp up there. I have only a 30 amp at my house but have the 50 amp receptacle waiting to be wired up. I have the Cyclone plugged in most of the time...it makes a great Man Cave when needed.

wdk450

Westxsrt10:
Most modern RV ammonia adsorbsion refrigerators work on 110 volts AC and Propane with 12 volts DC being required for the heating source switchover circuitry, which also controls the propane gas flow and causes the spark to light the gas flame. No 12 volts DC, no refrigerator operation in EITHER heating mode.
If the convertor goes out, eventually the battery dies, and the refrigerator is shut off by the inoperative logic circuitry. During normal operation down the road, the battery supplies the voltage for the logic board, and there is a small amount of recharging from the +12 volt connection from the truck's umbilical cable.
Some RV refrigerators work on 12 Volt DC, 110 Volt AC and propane. These have a 12 volt electrical heating element to duplicate the 110 volt AC heating element, along with the propane flame.

Most refrigerators Do Not work on AC only.....they are 12 volt DC or Propane. They will work on AC power only if your 120 VAC to 12 VDC Converter is in working order. I had my converter go out and the fridg, furnace, ect will not work with AC power.