Still another plumbing question

patrick1945

To start with all 3 tanks read full on the monitor.

WASTE(BLACK) WATER TANK= I pull the drain handle and the tank drains but very slowly. The monitor reading drops from full to 2/3..

GRAY 1 (SHOWER)= iT DRAINS FAST AND READS EMPTY.

GRAY 2= DRAINS FAST BUT ALWAYS READS FULL

Question 1- All pull handles feel the same but is there a possibility that handles/cables need to be replaced?

Question 2- I don't know but does all this have to be such a pain? Is it possible that there is debris in the tanks and the cables aren't properly connected? You'd think I would not have to guess when I spent twice as much for this FW as I did for my first house.

frustrated and should be thinking about something else..

Jellystone

Patrick1945, your tanks are probably draining (??) ok, there may be debris stuck on the sensors. A waste tank on an RV will drain slow if it is not very full at time of dumping. The "black" tank is notorious for giving false sensor readings for obvious reasons. Have you traveled w/your trailer since dumping them and then checked sensors (shaken it up)? And have you gotten a clear fitting to visually monitor flow rates? After a few times of dumping tanks you will get a better handle on when its dumping alright or when there may be blockage. Just my thoughts.

wdk450

Patrick:
These tanks and tank monitors have been a pain to most ALL RVers.

An easy fix that gives you an idea of how clean your tank is, is the clear elbow you attach to the sewage outlet fitting. Then you can SEE flow rates and how clean you have flushed out your black tank.
Here is a link: http://tweetys.com/bayonethoseclearviewadapter45deg.aspx

For the bad tank readings, these new generation tank sensors are a direct replacement to the ones already in place.
http://www.rvprobes.com/howitworks.html

To start with all 3 tanks read full on the monitor.

WASTE(BLACK) WATER TANK= I pull the drain handle and the tank drains but very slowly. The monitor reading drops from full to 2/3..

GRAY 1 (SHOWER)= iT DRAINS FAST AND READS EMPTY.

GRAY 2= DRAINS FAST BUT ALWAYS READS FULL

Question 1- All pull handles feel the same but is there a possibility that handles/cables need to be replaced?

Question 2- I don't know but does all this have to be such a pain? Is it possible that there is debris in the tanks and the cables aren't properly connected? You'd think I would not have to guess when I spent twice as much for this FW as I did for my first house.

frustrated and should be thinking about something else..

lhetsler

When my monitor seems screwy, I use dawn dish washing liquid in the tanks. I works very well to clean the contacts. If you can, put some in while traveling to clean really well, but I have had success with just putting it in while still. Let the tanks fill up all the way or as close as possible, then empty, works for me everytime. Once a season I also use water softener in the tanks with laundry detergent.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've pretty much given up on the sensors being right. Even with our previous TT that got hauled around regularly, the sensors never were accurate. As to the black tank on your 5'er being slow, it is very possible that something is jamming up the tank outlet. Maybe construction debris, but more likely a wad of TP and waste. The stuff does not fall into the tank and instantly dissolve, so if the toilet has recently been used and you go to dump, it's quite likely that the most recent deposits are sitting there (it doesn't all float, either). Use the clear extension, as recommended, along with a backflush adapter. The tank rinser will not move the jam as easily as the backflush will.

Iver

After reading about this subject over and over again I got a product called "Flush-King". It works great and allows one to back flush the tanks and see when the flow is clear. I think it is a great investment.
Good luck

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yup, if that double bean burrito El Grande is sitting sideways across the tank drain opening it's either C-4 down the commode or a backflush up the pipe to get it out of there.

One thing I've noticed about my black tank drain. When it's working, it's REALLY working. Nothing slow or wussie about it.