Mice/rats trying to eat my truck!

watchthebox

Anyone else have problems with rodents messing with their trucks? Those dang critters have been getting up into the engine compartment of my F250 and chewing up things. I'm seeing evidence of wires been gnawed on. Then, a month ago my check filter light came on. I thought that was odd since I had just had it replaced a couple months ago. Finally I took it to the dealer, who found, while I was watching, the part of the filter compartment right before the filter itself packed with chewed up insulation (I wonder where from?) and a dead rat (not a sewer rat, but I think what we have out here are called Kangaroo rats or something like that).

I've tried poison, traps, etc., but the rodents are winning the war due to overwhelming numbers. I'm getting ready to build a garage. In the interim, since I only drive the truck a couple times a month, I thought I'd try to keep them out by putting up galvanized sheet metal around the wheels. I wonder if the sheet metal will be tall enough to keep them from jumping up onto the tires. What do you think?
Truck Wheel Defen.jpg

Update 4/13/10:
After the initial success on my truck, I've added these to the wheels on my Cyclone, and I haven't seen any evidence of mouse activity (where previously I had). I put out treats like sunflower seeds and corn kernels where they had been, so I could make sure to know whether these defenses were working. So far so good!
Cyclone Wheel Def.jpg

Last edited:

wdk450

How about a vehicle cover and lots of cheap 99 cent store dryer sheets in the wheel holes and under the truck? People seem to swear by those for inside the rigs. It would be great if the cover is too long for the truck and you could secure down the sides/ends with boards and bricks.

watchthebox

I hadn't thought to use dryer sheets. Do those repel rodents?

I have a cover for my truck, but it only comes to just below the level of the body of the truck, so it doesn't help.

Thanks for the ideas!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
watchthebox, yes dryer sheets do work. I use Bounce brand in the coach. As for the dirty, stinking, no good vermine that like to eat the truck, here is my nest. I found that I cannot leave it parked too long. If it sits idle, they move in. Red squirrels in my case......I think. Another solution is more camping more often. :)

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Nest ..JPG
    Nest ..JPG
    597.1 KB · Views: 87

trvlrerik

My wife has Bengal cats (a leopard cat hybrid). After the cats, we do not have any mice, rats, squirrrels or even insects around anymore. On the downside songbirds are pretty thin around here too.

watchthebox

Dave, that's a HUGE nest in your truck! I wouldn't want to run into the beast(s) that made that.

Erik, cat's are a great idea, but we have so many coyotes around here, I don't think the cats would last too long.

BruteForce

Fortunately, I don't have this issue while parked at home, but we have had the nesting issue almost every time when dry camping in the woods.

In one day, squirrels or rodents would move into the engine compartment and build a nest at the rear of the intake manifold.

Found out the first time because we could smell the nest smoldering, pulled over to inspect and found it.

Now, we pop the hood and inspect before we depart every time.

Rmcgrath53

I live in the middle of the woods and have had that problem. I had a rag and a bunch of leaves on top of the engine below the fuel filter in that carved out area where the carburator manifold would go.They had an elaborate bed and nest. They tore out a couple sensors and chewed on my air intake insulation. It was a mess. I think what ever was doing that taught there young to do it also because I had the problem for a couple years. My new dualley I keep just outside the woods and havent noticed a problem this year yet. But I havent looked either.

wdk450

If the problem is bad enough, and you don't use the truck frequently, maybe you could use a cheap large blue tarp over your truck cover and the dryer sheets. I know it will be a PITA to uncover the truck to use it, but maybe that trumps the safety issues and hassles of cleaning up after the rodents.

I hadn't thought to use dryer sheets. Do those repel rodents?

I have a cover for my truck, but it only comes to just below the level of the body of the truck, so it doesn't help.

Thanks for the ideas!