Maxx Fan or FanTastic Fan?

LookN4Ward

I want to replace my bathroom vent fan with a premium fan that has a thermostat and variable speeds. The reason is that my travel trailer will be left in the extreme heat of south Texas and I want to have a fan that can expel some of the heat build up inside the trailer. If you have any advice on the use of premium vent fans to control heat build up I would appreciate it.

I'm considering buying a solar panel so the vent fan would run off the battery rather than electricity. Is it too much to expect a deep cycle battery to meet the demands of a premium vent fan?

porthole

Retired
D30_4750.JPG

I replaced my bath vent with a Fantastic fan. I am using this model for the bath:http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/model_6000/model_6000.html

I picked this one because:

Multi speed
reversible
automatic mode (thermostat)
rain sensor
can turn fan off and leave vent open
all controls are on the fan and since it is in the bathroom very easy to reach.

The only issue I have had was a "feature" of the fan.

One night I left the fan off but the vent open. Several times through the night dew would build up on the sensor and close the lid, as it dried out the vent would re-open.Not a problem for me but my wife wanted to know what that whirring sound was she kept hearing :)

Another benefit over the stock fan. Besides moving more air it is also about half the noise level, maybe more.

LookN4Ward

View attachment 7149

I replaced my bath vent with a Fantastic fan. I am using this model for the bath:http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/model_6000/model_6000.html

I decided to buy the Maxx Air 1200T with thermostat. It has a three speed fan and works as an intake and exhaust fan. On high speed it uses four amps and 1.5 on low speed. The installation is simpler than the fantastic model, but I heard nothing bad about the fantastic models.

I talked to someone that had the auto open and close fantastic model. His problem was when it was warm and would rain the vent would close making the fan useless for cooling done the trailer. With the model I bought the vent stays open, but rain can 't enter because of the housing.

I found an inexpensive 1.5 amp electric battery charger that is made to keep deep cycle batteries charged. It was a whole lot cheaper than any solar battery charger.

I bought the Maxx Air louvered window cover to let air in an open window. It should help circulate the air by pulling in cooler air and expelling the hot air.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our 3670 came with the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen area. I put the large MaxxAir cover over it so that it would be able to function, rain or shine. I leave the thermostat set for 85 degrees, whether we're in residence or not (Michigan summer) at the seasonal site and it cycles as needed.

LookN4Ward

The MaxxAir installation instructions are decent. It pays to review them before you start. Getting the fan unit installed over the existing vent requires patience, but goes fine if you get the unit centered and the hole marks in the existing vent marked correctly. I found it was necessary to use the supplied screws to anchor the brackets not only to the side of the vent frame, but to the base of the vent. Much sturdier.

My biggest problem came when I unwired the factory fan and wired the MaxxAir. I had to pull the supply and ground wires to reach the thermostatic control. Evidently that quick tug was enough to pull the ground wire loose from the fan switch. After removing the switch from the wall I was able to find and repair the broken connector and attach the wire to the fan switch. The quality of the wired connections to switches could be better. A volt tester sure helped to back track through the wiring.

Alas the job is done and the fan is quiet and moves air.