Generator Decisions

jbeletti

Hi all,

Nancy and I will not be full-timing anytime soon, but we will be storing our Heartland at a storage facility with no available power and we may be able to squeeze her into a few prime spots in state parks.

That said, I want a generator but not a unit built-into the trailer.

All my research thus far led me to conclude that for my purposes, a Honda EU2000i inverter-style unit (2000 watts surge / 1800 watts continuous) was best. Cost is about $900 delivered (from Mayberry's).

This is one sweet unit. Decent amount of power, quiet, affordable and lightweight.

Problem is that you just can't safely pull the load of a 15,000 BTU air conditioner with it. So for much of the time, it's my perfect unit but for a few weekends a year, we may be in a situation where we cannot run the AC if we do not have 30 amp shore power.

Enter, the Honda EU3000is and the Yamaha EU3000iSE. Both units are inverter-style, 3000 watts surge, 2800 watts continuous and have electric starters. They are both around $1800 delivered. The Yamaha does come with wheels. This is a $90 option for the Honda.

Good news for these units is that they will power my entire trailer (I have a single AC) pretty well. Bad news is they weigh about 150 pounds. Loading and unloading these from the trailer basement or the truck is a 2 person operation or some tricky ramp work. I have no plans to ask Nancy assist with this.

So for me, I think what I will be doing is ordering a single Honda EU2000i. Then, if Nancy or I need/want more power, I will buy another EU2000i and a parallel kit. It's a $200 to $300 premium to do the 2 gennys and the parallel kit but for me, that is preferred over trying to lug a 150 pound generator.

So that's my story and I am sticking with it! So what y'all doin' for your gennys?

Jim

nemo45

I have a Yamaha 2800. It is an inverter type generator like the Yamaha 3000 but not enclosed. It is also very quiet and has a setting where it is even quieter when not under a full load. You can't use this setting when the A/C is on. It weighs less than 100 lbs. I have run my 15000 A/C and my microwave at he same time and it did fine. Not sure how it would do if I had the microwave on and then started the A/C. It cost $1200 delivered. The cool thing about the inverter type generators is you can run any type of electronic equipment even computers and not worry about damage to them. I believe all those you listed are the inverter type.

Don :)

nemo45

Yup, that's the one. I'm pretty sure that the weight of 64# is without the gas in it. If its full you'll have more than 20# more weight. But, I really was impressed with the quietness of this generator.

Jim, I have 2 Honda 2000 and my son made me a parallel kit for about $20 and it works great .
When we go Elk hunting we run 2 gens and hook up 3 5ers and have no problems what so ever.
When Donna and I are camping and not hooking up to anyone else we can run the A/C and everything in the 5er and haven't had a problem yet.
Been doing this for 2 years and just got out new BH and it works well with it also.
The 3000 Honda is just to heavy for me to lug around.

boatdoc

Jim, I have or have tried several. I had a Honda 2000, good unit but as you describe won't pull the AC, that's why it's gone. I went for the Kipor 3000ti when they first showed up and boy, did I buy that on the cheap. It is a wonderful unit, never a problem and talk about quiet. About 130 pounds but very nice. Well then the Boliy came about, it really got me thinking about my back. At about 70 pounds, it's easy to move as compared with the Kipor. I bit and got one of the first of those also.
With a couple of small mods it has been very nice too and runs the air just fine. It is not as quiet as the Kipor but it is in no way too loud. I along with several others took some heat for trying these SOB's but so far both have worked out just fine and I have no complaint about either.
Next up is the Kipor 1000. For our yearly 8-10 week stay down South we are at a park with full hook-up's except for 5 days at the Vegas Nascar race and that's a bit to long for no added power so I watched for the best deal on a Kipor 1000 to just charge the battery's and stole one of those also. It goes with us when we boondock and don't need the air or M/V. With it's weight savings I can stack more gin in the trailer for the trip.
Remember guys, we live on the last frontier out here on the South Oregon Coast and winter power outages are just as popular as the rain so these genny's come in handy for the house, mom's house, BIL's house and freinds house so they all get used a lot more than just for the RV.
Best buddy has the Honda twinns and they work well for him. I made him up the parallel deal from the directions on the trailer life forums. Those twinns can really get to hummin when their trailer needs a lot of power!!!
Boatdoc

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
Jim I have a Honda 3000. Yes it is heavy but it runs everything. I plan on putting it on a slider tray on the street side. I'm going to put a back board behind the genny to keep the basement enclosed.
when you pullit out all you will see is the generator.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim
I have two Honda 2k's and a parallel kit. Something to think about. Each honda has a fuel tank that holds about 1 gal of gasoline. That will not run all night. Here is some options.

Tank for Single Generator:
Single Generator Tank

Tank for Dual Generators:
Dual Generator Tank

RV.net Forum Discussion
RV.net URL

I built a dual feed from a 6 gal tank and that will run all night. I set the tank on a step stool to keep it elevated above the generators. Helps with the feed. The gens will draw the gas from the tank as it uses it so the lines must be sealed.

I have used the generators only a couple of times. They are one of my hurried get ready to travel purchase when I purchased my first 5th wheel. While fulltiming, I have not used the generators.

Northern Virginia
A 15000 btu AC draws around 14.5 amps (1740 watts). You should be able to run the AC (safely) on the Honda EU2000i but that would be the only appliance you could use. While it would be a PITA, you could turn off the AC if you needed to use another appliance (microwave, for example).

Shadowchek

On our last trip I had a chance to hear the honda 2000 and the yamaha 2400 side and there was no comparison sound wise. The yamaha is a lot quieter has more power and a longer run time. It weighs a little more but has 2 handles to help out, costs a little more But I am sold on the yamaha. I have seen it for a little under 1200 including shipping I believe you can parallel connect those also but I think you could probably get by with one for the most part.The yamaha 2800 is a little bigger a little heavier has a little more power longer run time and twice as loud But still relatively quiet and a nice unit. For me I figure If I don't have hook ups and it is hot enough to run the A/C I will pick another time of year to go. So All I really need is to run the Microwave,blow drier,tv's and charge my batteries. The 2400 Yamaha should run the a/c in a pinch also. On a related subject you can also put a start assist kit on your a/c. It adds a high power capacitor to your compressor circuit that only ingages on start up. It basically stores some energy that is released on start up reducing the power required to start your a/c. I put these on residential units quite often to reduce the stress of starting your compressor. Reduces problems with dimming lights ect.

Greg