Which Size to replace China Bombs

red4re

Ok - I am about to replace my Mission tires. They are less than two years old - and one is starting to bulge outward. So I feel I have gambled long enough.

My question is on what size to replace them with. My Missions are 235/80r16. Michelin XPS Ribs come in 235/85 and 245/75. The 235/85s would be a little less than an inch taller - which I think works with my Sundance - however, it would make the two tires pretty close to each other. My Missions have 2 1/2 inches between them. The 235/85s would make that 1 1/2 inches between them approximately.

The 245/75s would be 1 cm wider and about 4mm shorter. The max load range on both are the same. I am leaning toward the 245/75s because the distance between the two tires would be about the same or wider by just a few mm. I need to look and see if I have clearance for the extra cm in width, but I think I do.

Has anyone used the 245/75s? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Red

Rmcgrath53

Well I had the china bombs on my Sundance for 2 years and on my last trip all 4 tires were failing with bulges on the side walls. I replaced them all with a Japan LT tire 235/85r16 Landairs.They seem to do good. I may have to cut the lip off on the fender because they are a tad wider because the tire is taller and the wider part is closer to the fender.. There is now just over an inch between tires. I watched them as I made sharp manuvers and every thing seems to be ok.
Ron

Lazydaze

I have a 2009 3200ES and replaced the china bombs with Goodrich commercial TA 235/85R16s. The distance between the tires was reduced to about 1 3/4". No problem with towing or space between tires and shocks. The wider tire may have a problem with tire / shock clearance. I did have to replace my BAL tire locking chock because it wouldn't compress enough with the newer BAL X locking chock that compresses to 1 3/8".

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Ok - I am about to replace my Mission tires. They are less than two years old - and one is starting to bulge outward. So I feel I have gambled long enough.

My question is on what size to replace them with. My Missions are 235/80r16. Michelin XPS Ribs come in 235/85 and 245/75. The 235/85s would be a little less than an inch taller - which I think works with my Sundance - however, it would make the two tires pretty close to each other. My Missions have 2 1/2 inches between them. The 235/85s would make that 1 1/2 inches between them approximately.

The 245/75s would be 1 cm wider and about 4mm shorter. The max load range on both are the same. I am leaning toward the 245/75s because the distance between the two tires would be about the same or wider by just a few mm. I need to look and see if I have clearance for the extra cm in width, but I think I do.

Has anyone used the 245/75s? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Red
I would think the 245/75's will be too wide for your wheel making the tread slightly rounded in contact with the road.
Maxxis has the exact replacement size for your trailer.
I had a long chat with the Texas Tire hwyway I40 interstate mobile repair man months ago requesting the best tire.
He has seen hundreds of tire failures and said Maxxis is the best tire for the money. I bought a set but not from them.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would suggest the Michelin XP Rib. I put the LT23585R16E on my trailer. I had them installed by Discount Tire the day I took ownership of the trailer.
I have not had one problem with this tire and strongly suggest them. I think there are many others on this forum have done the same. They are expensive but the extra you spend you are making an investment in a better tire to reduce the chance of tearing up the side of your trailer.
You have two places for clearance. Above the tire between the trailer and then between the tires. If the tire is 1" larger in diameter you only have a ½" reduction above the tire. While you will loose the 1" between the tires.

FWIW
BC

Netem

Here's what I have found, 235x80-16 tire width 9.2 dia. 30.7 245x75-16 tire width 9.6 dia. 30.6 235x85-16 tire width 9.7 dia. 32 It looks to me like the 245x75 would be a closer match in size than the 235x85. I will be talking to a tire dealer to see what they think.

red4re

I got the XPS Ribs 235/85s. I get them put on on Tuesday. I'll post back with results. $1500 for five. I guess no lunch for the kids for the rest of the school year!

Red

red4re

OK - I had them put on today. I am really not comfortable with the distance between the tires. There is 1 inch between them. After seeing underneath when they had it jacked up, I think the 245/75s would have been better. I had to trim a little of the fender skirt on the backside. We will see how they do on the road this weekend.

red

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Look at how the Sundance's springs work....the tires can get closer together under various loads and 1" clearance is......yikes. TxBob may want them for his Bighorn?

jnbhobe

I got the XPS Ribs 235/85s. I get them put on on Tuesday. I'll post back with results. $1500 for five. I guess no lunch for the kids for the rest of the school year!

Red
Well if I spent that much money on five tires I would either use them or try to return them for the 245-75-R16's JON

red4re

Well - the 245/75s were $20 per tire higher, so another $100. Plus they were not in range for Discount Tire to get them quickly. I was pretty uncomfortable with the China tires being 2 1/4 inches apart. Actually, on my last trip when I noticed one of the old tires was bulging outward on the tread, it made those tires one inch apart. Well - I guess the good news is as the tread goes down, the distance will slowly increase - right? :)

I really think the Sundance was designed to have 15 inch wheels and tires and then when they started using the 16 inch stuff, they did not make the axles farther apart.

I'll try these out this weekend and if they do not perform well, I may have 5 tires for sale.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I did a experiment on my Sundance and you can try this on yours to decide whats best.

The axles get closer together as the weight on the springs increases. Mine axles measure 34.5" apart with no load: 33.5" apart with a load.
I have 3.5" clearance between the tires with my new tires 235/80/16 3040 E rated Maxxis. I don't scare easily but 1" gap scares me because that distance can change and be dangerious to you and me. I can't beleive Discount Tire allowed someone to buy such a set-up and say its safe to drive.

red4re

Mine is currently loaded. My 235/80s were 2 1/4 inches apart. Yours are 3 1/2. That is what makes me think the factory is not consistent on axle spacing. I think my Sundance was made for 15 inch tires and the factory maybe added the 6000 lb axles and 16 inch tires and left the axle spacing the same??? I dunno.

You would think the factory would know we all get rid of these China tires and everyone seems to go with what I did. Others on the board are running them too with close clearance. There are not many options for 235/80s. Seems they would design the spacing to fit the tires everyone changes to or at least design for common tire sizes.

Will have someone riding beside me this weekend to see how they look going down the road and if necessary - will change them to something else next week. Think I will measure for the 245/75s and see if they will work. The shocks and everything behind the tires are pretty close too, so I don't know what to do. Go back to Chinese? The 245/75s would be 5mm closer to the shocks.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Red

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Mine came from the factory with 5200lb axles and 15" wheels( 6" between the tires) so that may why mine measure differiant from yours.

red4re

Okay - The report is in.

Did our weekend trip to San Marcus. Tires were no problem. It looks like the distance is 1 3/8 - 1 1/2 inches between the tires. I guess it was cocked in my driveway and made the distance closer when I first parked it. Another guy followed beside me for quite a ways and said they never got any closer together with bumps and all. Even going over the speed bumps at the campground was ok. Looked at a few others at the campground and saw a couple that were as close as mine. None closer. So I think I am at the limit, but will keep them on.

Red