PDI by Dealer

Wharton

We asked our dealer what his PDI is composed of. We were impressed and were wondering if this was just our dealer or a Heartland requirement?

He pressure tests all lines, runs the A/C and heat for several hours. Fills up all gray and black tanks till the water backs and lets it sit for several hours. Checks all lights and switches: both on 12v and 110v. Opens all closets and drawers for smooth operation.

He obviously tries to pick up the little things(an maybe some big) before delivery which we really appreciate.

Once the trailer is delivered he takes another 4 days or so for his PDI.

We have also given him our wish list of extra electrical/coax and propane lines(catalytic heater) we needed run. No problem on his part and no additional charge. He is also installing our solar system bought from RV Solar.

He is a discount dealer and we are getting a super price from him plus he is local.

BruteForce

We asked our dealer what his PDI is composed of. We were impressed and were wondering if this was just our dealer or a Heartland requirement?

Did you have to pay for your PDI? If so, how much? We had to pay (it was a requirement and not optional) ~$900 for this service.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Our dealer (Chesapeake RV Solutions) had our Sundance prepared for us just as you described in your post when we showed up for our pdi. This was a normal procedure for him, and did not charge any extra fee for this service. He is able to catch many of the small problems (read leaks) with this process before you drive off his lot, not to mention your own feeling of security that all systems are working as they should. It would be very beneficial to Heartland if they could encourage their dealers to prepare all of their sales for pdi in this same manner, insuring a fully working unit for use by its new owner.

rvn4fun

We bought ours on a Thursday and couldn't pick it up until the next Wednesday as it had just came in and they told us they always fill with water and propane and check everything for a couple of days to make sure everything works. When we showed up with our trade in rv on Wednesday we went into our nice heated new rv, as the furnance was running on a cold Texas day. We had the shop technician and ourselves go through everything we could think of. We were happy and did miss a few things probably because I was busy looking and not listening as close as I should. We had no seperate charge for the pdi, if there would have been they could have kept it as I am sure they made good money on us. I would never pay for a pdi, that is part of there job.

Wharton

The other interesting item in dealing with Chesapeake is his cooperation to adding items to be installed without charging us for every little item. We have added items(mostly extra wires and one switch) that he is just doing. So far we are only paying extra to have installed water cutoff valves at each faucet and the Solar system which we are supplying. Just such a pleasure to deal with............

First I would never do business with a dealer that charged for the PDI. That should be done to protect both the buyer and the dealer. I would also report that dealer to Heartland. Our dealer not only did the PDI and went over everything with us but had us stay on their lot with hook ups including cable and 50 amp the first night in order for us to try the unit out; you know actually use the rig in real life situation, before heading down the road and gave us two nights at a nice campground closeby in case anything went wrong we would be close by. We were very impressed with how detailed his PDI was. Great dealers are hard to find; but when you do you need to let them know it and pass their name along. Our Dealer is Rv's for less in Knoxville TN and I would tell everyone to check them out before making a purchase. You will be glad you did.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Paying for a PDI this is first for me. I would never pay for one since it is a part of the purchase. You had already paid for it when you signed the papers on the rig.