Slam door locks

DXprowler

Tried a search but didn't come up with an answer. When we where given the new keys to our new BH 3410 yesterday, I noticed the slam door lock keys looked generic! I was under the impression that the locks where individually keyed per coach but now I'm not so sure. Are these keys generic in that myself or someone else could open any Heartland slam door?

brunsje

My key will open ANY RV compartment. (Jayco, Coachmen,etc.) Not sure about the slam door models. I was told you need to have a locksmith change the locks if you don't want the geneic one!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I replaced my locks with the round key type... they are a little harder to use because they can not be left unlocked.

Attachments

• mvc-474584..jpg
    mvc-474584..jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 9

ralphpam

We just had our slam doors replaced (we had the ones that rubbed) and our original key works the new slam door locks. Not much different than the motorhome we had - one key would open almost any basement door on any motorhome - and those were slam doors!

jnbhobe

I replaced my locks with the round key type... they are a little harder to use because they can not be left unlocked.

Its really easy to make the round key so it will come out in any position. Just file the little tit off the end of the key. I use registered Ace locks on my doors that are not slam doors. JON

DXprowler

I wonder if a locksmith could re-key the locks on the slam doors? I was hoping to get away from the CH 751 syndrome but guess not!

jimtoo

Yes, a lock smith can rekey your locks, but probably less expensive to go to Lowes, HomeDepot or Ace Hardware store and if they don't have enough keyed alike, they can order them for you. You need to know the length of the barrel as they come in several different lengths. I changed mine out on the previous trailer, but this one I left the same.. if a thief wants in, all it takes is a screwdriver and the door can be popped open. Then you have to replace the door also, or trim around it that was damaged.

Jim M

DXprowler

True it wouldn't take much to go through but these aluminum slam doors (and frame) are far more secure than the laminated Styrofoam/fiberglass doors with the plastic frame and the CL751 locks. I've changed out all the locks on my previous trailers but the locks on the slam doors are different in that the lock prevents the handle from pulling open. Perhaps a bar could easily change that but having locks that are keyed differently would provide me a little more peace of mind!