Dometic fridge problem

rideblue

My refrigerator quit working on gas. I can't hear the ignitor anymore but hear the gas valve open up like it should. Definitely have 12 volts to the circuit board and the unit works fine on AC. Anyone ever have to replace the circuit board for this problem before? For all the troubleshooting I have done, I figure it HAS to be the board. I live in the boonies, no RV service center within 200 miles. Board replacement is $120, just want to be as sure as I can before I order it.

wdk450

Re: Dometic frige problem

Rideblue:
You MUST be in the boonies. I thought that the remote areas of California would have RV service, since that is where the RVers want to escape to. Are there any independent mobile RV servicers you could use for warranty repairs?
Regarding the fridge: Is the spark gap narrow enough? I would guess about 3/8 of an inch. You might try substitiuting another piece of wire from the board to the spark gap to see if the cable is bad. Observing the system in darkness might show you if the spark is jumping to ground before the gap. Make sure the cable is away from any grounded metal.
Good luck!!!

Good luck

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired

A Mud Wasp got to our past refrigerator . The little bugger filled our gas vent tube solid near where you get your spark !! Just a thought !!!!

rideblue

Rideblue:
You MUST be in the boonies. I thought that the remote areas of California would have RV service, since that is where the RVers want to escape to. Are there any independent mobile RV servicers you could use for warranty repairs?
Regarding the fridge: Is the spark gap narrow enough? I would guess about 3/8 of an inch. You might try substitiuting another piece of wire from the board to the spark gap to see if the cable is bad. Observing the system in darkness might show you if the spark is jumping to ground before the gap. Make sure the cable is away from any grounded metal.
Good luck!!!

Good luck
There are no mobile RV service guy either. I am unable to see the spark gap because the tip of the ignitor is inside a vertical tube, it actually gets screwed into this tube. I checked the ignitor wire for continuity and it was good. I think if it might be jumping to ground before the "tube", I would still hear it like normal. Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Rickhansen

Definitely pursue a warranty repair, if appropriate. If you outside of your warranty, there are third-party manufacturers of replacement boards. I replaced a Dometic refrigerator board years ago with a board made by Dinosaur. They were a fraction of the price, with a better warranty, and actually had features that the Dometic board did not. It had an adjustable base setpoint for the refrigerator temperature, whereas the Dometic was not adjustable except through the "brow" warmer-cooler pushbuttons.

rideblue

I have become familiar with the Dinosaur board through my online research. They definitely sound better. With the photos of said board, I cannot see a place for the ignitor to plug into. Did yours have this? I doubt I am still in warranty as the unit is 3-4 years old.

wdk450

Why don't you contact Dinosaur Electronics directly? Here is the phone # I got off of their website: For technical questions concerning our products, call : (541) 994-4344 M-F, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm PST

rideblue

I called Dometic and they said I needed to replace the circuit board, then gave me a replacement part # that didn't match the one I have. I then called Dinosaur electronics and they have the exact replacement board #. I ordered the board from Dinosaur. We'll see how it works. Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.