Brake Drum Grease Caps

svd

I thought it would be a good idea to remove the access cover from the wheel center trim caps to give the wheel bearing a pump or two of wheel bearing grease. To my surprise, I found one wheel that did not have a grease cap installed!

There is no way it could have come off, the wheel was installed without it. Fortunately the wheel fits tightly to the drum and probably kept dirt out. I have contacted the dealer for a replacement.

I will remove and clean the bearing anyway before installing the cap. I think I will also check the bearing preload and brake shoe settings as others have suggested while I am at it.

K

Ken Washington

Steve, What type of grease are you going to use? There has been alot said on this fourm about using the right type and not mixing types of grease in the bearings. Also where did you buy the grease?
Ken

jpmorgan37

Here is one thread where it was discussed. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=962&highlight=wheel+bearing+grease

svd

Ken,
I use Amsoil high temp synthetic wheel bearing grease. You can buy it on line, and you can get it in a tube. I bought a seperate gun for only this use. It seems to me that Amsoil tech told me that compatibility was not a problem, but I will check again after looking at the Lippert link (thanks RV-Ramblers). I thought my axles were manufactured by Al Ko, maybe they are the same as Lippert. I don't see why it makes a difference anyway.

Since the wheels need to come off to check bearing preload, I may just remove all the old grease anyway. With a missing dust cap, I am concerned about whether the preload was set properly.