Downsizing, etc.

Iver

Need some advice: 1. We are downsizing on the way to retiring. Our idea is to move into a rented appartment or condo in the area here while we travel in the trailer to find the area we want to retire to (probably the Carson City, Reno area of NV). We have a house full of life long accumulation. Many of the things we love but know that we will not have room in the future. There are quite a few things we can give to family and friends but still there will be much left over. What have others done? Is there a national organization that does estate sales, etc?
2. We own a retail business and I think, with the outstanding young manger we now have, we can maintain ownership and provide guidance from afar. My reasoning is that if we could sell it (and that is not certain) the proceeds, conservatively invested, would earn X$ a year at today's rates, with the capital untouched. If we kept ownership of the business I feel we could take at least 2X$ a year out of it. There are obvious risk with maintaining ownership but I feel that the risk is worth the return. Even if the business did not continue to grow this income would still be reasonable. I also feel that if the structure and marketing plans are continued as we have set them the business will increase in value and make the selling, some time in the future (perhaps ten years), even better.

I do know that if you want to make God laugh all you have to do is tell him YOUR plans ... in any case what do you think?

Last edited:

SmokeyBare

Iver,

Our solution was not for everyone but it worked well enough for us. We also needed to downsize from our house into our Full Time Lifestyle in a Fifth Wheel RV. We did several garage sales, yard sales, even made a couple trips to a local flea market. Much of what was left we offered to a local Church who had annual rummage sales. We were told what didn't sell would be put in storage for the next years sale. It's not an easy task, giving up things which hold so many fond memories. With the loss of my parents, and the resulting auction to dispose of their household goods... It only takes a few hours time to witness a life time to be disposed. I felt good knowing those items may be recycled into new family treasures and cherished possessions.

I would take full advantage of family and friends when parting with your loving possessions. The most troubling part of this whole process is making "Decisions" of what you can and what you can't get rid of. Good Luck with this !!

I did a search and in fact found one company that claims to be a Nationwide Estate Sale Service. I know nothing about them except that they are located in Mastic Beach NY.

Here is their Web page Link: http://www.estatesales123.com/

Here is another: http://www.estatesales.net/

I would look for someone local if your area could provide that type of service. Call Auction Services, they too may know or have suggestions.

Good Luck !!

aatauses

We first listed on paper the items we wanted to keep. Next came items we could go either way. Then came items that were up for sale. We had a few yard sales and whatever was left at the end of the day did not go back into the garage, but went directly to Good Will. Then we took the items we wanted to keep into a rented storage space, if there was any room left we then took the so/so items and filled up the space, BUT DID NOT go to a bigger storage unit.
al