Thetford Black Streak and Bug Remover

2010augusta

Well today I decided it was finally time to clean some of the out side of the trailer. Lately we have had a Robin attacking our rear window and crapping all over the ladder and rear cap. I used household all-purpose cleaner and got the back looking real good, so I ventured to the front and started to clean the front cap too.

I know I should have done this WAY sooner, but this was the first time I have really tried to clean the front cap. I have sprayed it off at truck washes a couple other times, but never really scrubbed the front cap.

We have traveled about 15,000 miles total and over 7,000 since the last cleaning. So needless to say we had a lot of bugs stuck to the front end and some have been baked on by the 100*+ heat of a South Texas summer last year.

I climbed in to the bed of the truck and started wiping down the house hold cleaner and was making very little progress.

I had to go do some other shopping and picked up a spray bottle of Thetford Black Streak and Bug remover.

I got back to the RV and climbed back into the truck bed, sprayed some on and wipe it with a damp micro-fiber towel, and I was amazed.

All the bugs and the black streaks that have formed from all the rain lately just wiped off with very little effort.

In all I spent about 15 minutes to clean the entire front cap and now it looks like new.:D

If any one is needed an easy way to get even old baked on bugs off the front caps I have to highly recommend this stuff.

Jim-n-Leslie

I have been looking at my front cap and the much-needed cleaning with considerable trepidation due to (a) the jeavily encrusted dead bugs and (b) the general height of the front cap. I do not have a ladder that is adequately high amd I fear scratching the surface while leaniNg a ladder. I never thought about standing on the truck bed... That and a six foot ladder should be perfect :-O I will say -

have done my part reducing the bug population this year between Virgina & North Carolina. I will definately try the Thetford cleaner - thanks!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A great thing to put on the front cap is a product called REJEX. It goes on like a liquid wax, bonds to the polymer and lasts several months. It makes it easy to clean off the bugs and gives a lasting protection to the finish. You can buy it online (no cheap) but you get what you pay for.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I bought my Rejex at a boat store. I don't think I've ever seen it at Wally's.

aatauses

Alan,
Concerning the black streak remover---did it remove your wax? Did you put it over your decals??--any issues/concerns?
IN VT we saw an 5 year old rv that looked like new--the owner used only Nu-Finish which is not a wax. I tried it on my pu and happy with results, but it does not do too well with black streaks so looking for something to supplement to remove the streaks before I apply nu-finish
thanks
al

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
I'll give kudos for the Thetford product too. Started using it on our previous SOB and it worked great! I found it worked best when I sprayed it on, let it "work" for bit and washed with nice warm/hot water. Really softened those nasty MN bugs up so they're easier to get off!

2010augusta

Alan,
Concerning the black streak remover---did it remove your wax? Did you put it over your decals??--any issues/concerns?
IN VT we saw an 5 year old rv that looked like new--the owner used only Nu-Finish which is not a wax. I tried it on my pu and happy with results, but it does not do too well with black streaks so looking for something to supplement to remove the streaks before I apply nu-finish
thanks
al

Wax? what wax? don't know if it removed the wax cause I have not waxed any of the trailer. I did use it on the graphics on the front cap, with no ill effects.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well for some time I have been using Bounce to clean the bugs off of the trailer and bugs and tar off the TV. If your patient it works very well. Just be sure to wet the Bounce befroe using. You will need to rinse the part you clean with the bounce.

I might give the Thetford a try.

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well for some time I have been using Bounce to clean the bugs off of the trailer and bugs and tar off the TV. If your patient it works very well. Just be sure to wet the Bounce befroe using. You will need to rinse the part you clean with the bounce.

I might give the Thetford a try.

BC

The Bounce does okay but it takes off the wax too. At least it did when I used it.