Trail air "tilting"--is this normal??

aatauses

I need some help/advice. We have a 2010 BH 3670. We just had work completed in Dover, FL. We traveled to Pensacola, FL (500mi) and when I went to install my tire covers I noticed something unusual with the trail air system. The unit appeared to be tilted, this was on both sides. The tires are on the ground and one tire is about 0.5” closer to the frame than the other. It looks like one tire is going over something while the other is not, but both are sitting on the ground. I have not noticed this before as the trail air system always seemed to be straight. Is this normal? What do I need to do if this is not normal?
Currently the file attachement is not working so will add photos when I can, but would be interested in any comments on what you think I need to do if anything.
thanks
al

SmokeyBare

If it's the Center Point System, is there one air fill port or two ports? If one, it fills both air bags at the same time but if there are two each one fills each side separately. Crawl under and take a look about. Looking for anything broken on the suspension system. Look for a plastic tube air line that might have detached from the system. Look for flattened springs on one side or the other. Give us a little more information please.

Good Luck !

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The new file attachment system is a little tricky to use, the photos have to be placed in the website file system first.....I'd sure like to see photos of the Trail-air.

SmokeyBare

If your talking about the King Pin Box. TrailAir "Air Pin" does tilt downward when you take the weight off the truck hitch. If it didn't, it would not have the needed movement to dampen the rough road movement... with the up and down action of the "Air Pin".

Here is the Link to TrailAir : http://www.trailair.com/

All the information for their products should be on that site

Good Luck

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are talking about the tires being not aligned let me explain. When you back up and turn the suspension system is designed so the tires tilt and track differently. In order to straighten them out you will need to pull straight forward and then straight back. That should align everything again. Not something broken, it is designed that way.

aatauses

yes, I am talking about the tires not the king pin. And we do have the equalizer system with two grease fittings that face to the outside. these pictures are from the inside as it shows the "tilt" I am asking about---again the tires are flat on the ground and I have the "tilt" on both sides.
thanks
al

Attachments

• Copy (2) of 002..jpg
    Copy (2) of 002..jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Copy (2) of 001..jpg
    Copy (2) of 001..jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 96

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Be sure you don't leave your trailer parked with the wheels tilted (after backing and turning) as it causes undo stress on the suspension. Just pull forward and back a time or two to get them straight.

RollingHome

Looking at your photo/s I see rub marks in the shape of a bowtie just below the upper most rusted nut and black metal tab. Below the bowtie mark I see black powder residue (metal powder) from this rubbing. I'd say this device is doing what it was designed to do, move. It will park in a position where the moments of force dictate when you stop, lopsided or equal. I'll bet that little gizmo does the same dance while you drive down the highway. Of course this is my opinion. I would contact Trailaire for more info if you are still concerned.

lwmcguir

Take a look at your equalizers from front to back. This is where you might see problems. They look correct from the side view and as the other posters stated they are equalizing. The light weight center bracket can bend and you may have one tire closer to the shocks. Check your torque on the spring u bolts and the parallel alignment of the springs to the frame. Just to be sure you are good.

lwmcguir

Might add here if you are talking about the rotation of the equalizer this is 100% normal. If you are talking about the equalizer tilting away from perpendicular to the hanger and frame then that isn't good. It will most likely pull your axles closer together on one side and bring one of the tires very close to the shocks.

aatauses

Thanks everyone, I have also sent a few of the pictures to HL and they stated to pull forward and it should straighten out. I have done this and they still appear to be tilted, still perpendicular to the frame just tilted forward. HL is reviewing my second set of pictures I took after pulling forward and the "tilt" still present.
al