Battery Charger ????

boatdoc

Hi folks. I need to replace my PD9260C, it gave up the ghost and I'm wondering if it needs to be replaced with the same size amp output. The PD9245C is much less expensive and being we don't boondock much at all, do we really need the 60 amp or will the 45 amp work just as well, just slower charge rate?
It's 3 months out of warranty so the bill is on me. Thanks

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Seems odd to have converters going out so soon. Our 09 model went out last trip.
Bought a new one from 'World Friendship Co.' Model WF-8955 55 amp at $168 wasnt to bad. This new unit seems better as the lights don't dim now and its totally quiet.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Well, we all rant and rave about everything being built in China, but if your willing to go that way, here is one that will do the job, and its 65A.

ChopperBill

Call the Inteli-power folks. I had one in our old truck camper that I thought was going bad. The had exchanges for about $100 then.

Northern Virginia
Boatdoc,

If your converter is a Progressive Dynamics, you should call the factory. My transfer switch was out of warranty. When I called and explained that it wasn't working correctly, they offered to send a replacement at no charge. I was very impressed with their customer service.

John

lhetsler

I would imagine that your converter was matched to the maximum usage required for your Rv when everything was on, so I inclined to think you need the same amperes

PUG

Pug
I had an Intelli power and the first year it pooped. I called them and they sent me a new one with no problem. They may cut you a deal on a new one. This one has been working for two years now and no problem. I also purchased a little charging flashing diode light from them that plugs right into the charger and lets me know what it is doing. Stay with the same size.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I have posted this before but still find it valid.
Our rig came with a 9100 series PD unit, with the charge wizard, which is the back up for the new unit.
I went to a Xantrex inverter / charger with a 100A charge rate.
We dry camp, mostly, and find the dual purpose unit really handy.
Our rig has 4 T-105'a for a 450AH bank with a 12v 175AH backup slaved to a 4 position selector / disconnect.
The common belief is that the charge rate should be aprox 10% of the AH reserve, mostly as a safety concern.
I called Trojan before setting up my system and the tech told me that a 25% charge rate was optimum, for what it is worth.
If we used primarily used hook-ups I would not have changed anything.
Here is a link to the unit I purchased, refurbished, for about 1/2 the MSRP.
One other note, the installation, with controls, will cost as much as the unit.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/49/p/155/pt/9/product.asp

navyAZ1

Call the Inteli-power folks. I had one in our old truck camper that I thought was going bad. The had exchanges for about $100 then.

Ours quit last summer called the mfg. they offered a replacement of a "factory refurbished" unit for $100 exchange.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I had an Intelli power and the first year it pooped. I called them and they sent me a new one with no problem. They may cut you a deal on a new one. This one has been working for two years now and no problem. I also purchased a little charging flashing diode light from them that plugs right into the charger and lets me know what it is doing. Stay with the same size.

Hey
Is the Intelli power the charger? I was into the basement yesterday (first time just got the LM) and saw that, I thought htat it was the auto switch for the genset and shore power, my stupid.

Willym

Most converters have an internal cartridge fuse which is sometimes the cause of a dead converter. You may have to drill out rivets to get inside some converters though. Worth a try for the cost of a fuse.

Dave42

So, if I am dry camping with my 1000 watt Honda generator, should I use a battery charger or just plug the big cable into the Honda? In my previous campers, the built-in charger was so slow, I had to use an external battery charger. Thanks

Duramax1

I have a battery isolation switch. When recharging, I isolate my two batteries and use an external charger.

The reason for going this route is because the battery charger indicates the % state of charge and will shut off when the batteries are fully charged. With this information I know when the charging process is complete and that I can turn off the generator because the batteries are fully charge.

That information is not available to you when you plug your generator into the trailer power cord. As a result, you never know how long to leave the generator running to recharge your batteries.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm not sure a 1000 watt Honda has enough power to operate your 60 amp output factory converter properly. I learned its a good idea to have a spare charger from our last trip. ( main converter went out) You may be better off with an smaller external charger like a 10 amp.