Getting ready to pick up 3612 tomorrow, found a problem

gpshemi

Well...looks like there's a problem. Dealer called and said they saw a spot in the carpet and tried to clean it with a steam cleaner, and it's a flaw in the carpet. Looks to me like they bleached a spot out if you ask me. Heartland's agreed to warranty it, but I'm wondering what I should do. I see no incentive so far to take it as it is. That's just a hassle. However, we have a trip planned soon and we're going to need it.

Do I:

1) Take it, live with it.
2) Not take it, and likely ruin our trip.
3) Take it, get it fixed down the road under warranty.
4) Take it, ask for concessions, plus get it fixed down the road under warranty.
5) Run cause it'll never be right again.

Hmmm....thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0003 (Small)..JPG
    IMG_0003 (Small)..JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0001 (Small)..JPG
    IMG_0001 (Small)..JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0002 (Small)..JPG
    IMG_0002 (Small)..JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 74

jimtoo

Hi gpshemi,

As long as your dealer and Heartland have agreed to replace the carpet later, why spoil your trip. Get it in writing from your dealer and enjoy your new unit. Besides, you might find some things that will need to be checked when you start using it.

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I agree with Jim. Take it out with the understanding that you'll be returning it for carpet replacement. Great opportunity to look for any other issues that may need warranty and/or dealer support.

Manke3010

Yep, what everyone else has said. As long as it's not a super long trip to the dealer that'd be fixing this, I guarantee you will have other things that will pop up that need fixing or replacing. It just comes with buying a new rig most of the time.
Take it, and let them know they'll be hearing from you whenever it's convenient for you to drop it off to fix said item, along with anything else....
Enjoy the new rig!

gpshemi

OK. I think I can agree with that. What about something a little special for having to bring it back period. Yes? No?
The dealer is a few hours away. So figure 5-6 round trip...and have to make it twice....diesel $2.80 a gallon...blah blah.
Doesn't seem fair with a unit they've known I was taking for 3 weeks now.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Never hurts to try, but I suspect they'll draw the line and say they will fix, but not cover travel, etc.

Yianni

After owning and retiring from a carpet cleaning business for over 20 years, I'd say that was not caused by a steam cleaner. The carpet had a chemical reaction to whatever spotter they tried to use.
Things happen. Do as Jim suggested and go on your trip and make a list of the little things, have fun and enjoy your new trailer. Replacing the carpet is no big deal unless of course your hoping to find that green shag like your parents had.

gpshemi

Well spoke to the dealer (National RV Detriot) again and it is going to be a big deal. The slide will have to be removed in order to replace the carpet. We had a real bad experience with taking a slide out on a previous unit and the unit never seemed right again in our opinion. The dealer isn't really willing to give any concessions on the deal either. They have a unit with a problem, are just expecting us to take it, and turn it into our problem. The sister dealerships, Lakeshore, and Gillettes, don't have one like it to swap out either.

Now that I know the slide has to come out to fix it, I'm not interested in fixing it. I either need to live with it or not take it.

I did some quick bargining tonight and called Holman's in Ohio. They seem to have another one in the same color, same options. I've asked them to work the same numbers. It's ALOT farther away, but it shouldn't need to be torn half apart to make right either. I suspect we can have it next weekend and still make our trip.

Hate to pay this kind of money for a unit and start off with fairly substantial issues.
We're pretty bummed about this.

Yianni

Sorry to hear about it becoming a big deal. To be honest, I would be a little hesitant too if it was a new trailer and the slide had to come out. On a positive note, I drove from California to Holman's to pick up my 3010. They were absolutely a pleasure to do business with. They had the 3010 all set up for me with heat on and plugged in so I could spend the night and try things out and make a list before the pdi. The pdi was great and I was on my way back to California 15 mins. after the pdi. Just a few storage latches needed adjusting.
If you can do the extra drive, I think you'll be happy you did. They are a good dealer.

Rickhansen

Gpshemi,
I'm no expert, but I would not believe that a slide room would have to be removed for carpet replacement. Your dealer doesn't appear to be willing to bend at all, despite Heartland and your efforts to resolve. Make the extra drive to Ohio and consider it an added opportunity for a shakedown cruise. It might be fun to watch National RV squirm when you tell them that your taking your business somewhere else.

gpshemi

Thanks everyone for the support. this forum is great. I love the suggestions and the fact there are knowledgable people on here.

Waiting for a call from Holman's before we decide to go down to National RV. No sense in going when we're on the fence.

We'll keep you posted.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Rickhansen. I'm sitting here looking at my slide and carpet and I see no reason why the slide would have to be removed. And like him, I'm no expert.
Maybe give Heartland Customer Service a call on Monday and see what they have to say about that type of repair.

Peace
Dave

gpshemi

Well while calling around to find another unit, the "sister" company said this is silly. They said this can be solved pretty quick. There's no reason for the slide to come out. They can unhook it at the bottom, tilt the slide up, and install under it. Lakeshore refused my efforts to try and work a deal on a different unit, but instead made a called on my behalf to get it fixed this week. I can go review it, and pick it up next weekend. If the repair is correct our satisfaction, then we'll do the PDI, and wrap this up.

As a side note, Lakeshore points out they are NOT a sister but rather a competitor that's owned by the same entity. I think they were annoyed by the concept. They added that this should have been handled in advance, they would not have done things this way, and that's the reason they are the #1 Cyclone dealer.

Buying a new rig shouldn't be this much effort...

We'll update next week sounds like.

Rickhansen

Gpshemi,
That's great news. We purchased our Bighorn 3670 in late '07 from Lakeshore RV. They gave us a really good price. John was our sales rep. We did the deal via phone/email and the unit delivered to us in North Carolina. Everything went fine, and we would consider doing it that way again. The only complaint we had is that once they had the paperwork signed (and the check), almost all communication stopped and it was difficult to get return phone calls.

Congrats on finding a solution to your situation.

Wharton

How big of a spot is this? Why can't they get a piece of carpet and have a carpet man cut out the bleached piece and replace it with new carpet? If you have a good carpet man you will never notice the patch........

Yianni

Unfortunately, with this small an area and a flat carpet you will see the patch. This will be the first thing the eye is drawn to.
A carpet with a little more pile is easier to hide the patch, and in a larger room it's not as noticeable.
The best bet is to replace the whole piece since it's such a small area.

gpshemi

Yeah I thought of that too, but I think with this flat of pile you'll see it as much as the spot.

I actually patched two large spots in my living room like that and you can't see them at all, but they're in california berber too.

gpshemi

Update:

After Lakeshore (John) called National on my behalf, National RV called me right back. Said the unit would be repaired and that the carpet was already on order. Told the dealer I'd like to be kept in the loop this week. He agreed to do that.

Friday (1 week after). Never heard from dealer again. Emailed Thursday night to see how we stood for Saturday pickup. No reply. Called Cell phone Friday morning. No answer. Called main line and was told no one has seen him today and to call his cell. I said I already did that and he didn't answer. They said "well that's not real good for a sales guy eh?" Yeah you got that right bud. Eventually I asked for a service department guy named Brian. Nice enough. Was told that they got the carpet in appearently begining of the week. They unrolled it, and it's a different "shade". Not to my surprise really, it's a different die lot I'd guess. I was told the color that came in is Mocha, and mine is Fawn. Fawn has been discontinued. Keep in mind this is a brand new unit. Told the color shift was very slight. So I suggested swapping out the slide area too so that it would match and the break in color would be at the stairs. They said they called the factory and that was the suggestion as well. So they order the slide carpet too since it has a seam sewn around the outer edge. That supposedly shipped Wednesday and should have been there today (Friday), but frankly I'm loosing my faith in the dealer.

I'm starting to wonder...is this dealer and camper the one for us? One that's been all torn up and recarpeted? Or...is this a sign from God that we should go elsewhere. Once again, I called and emailed Lakeshore to see what else they've got for me. It's just all hard to swallow.

Original Purchase was at the Novi Show Feb 12th....
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Yianni

We bought our 3010 from Jamie at Holman's. All calls were returned and the level of customer service once I got there was excellent.
You shouldn't have to deal with the nonsense you are going through when making a purchase like this.
Good luck!

gpshemi

I called Holmans lasrt Friday when I found out there was an issue with the trailer. We spoke for quite a while. I gave him the exact numbers.
Camper Jim said he'd call me the next morning. He called later then he said, but also said he wasn't willing to match the deal....and of course Ohio is a ways for me.
So I'm left with paying more if I want to go there. Good thought though.