Truck & RV Insurance

argyll1st

Hi all, I have been trying to get insurance for our truck and fifth wheel, I tried the VIP offer from the good sam but they wanted $2000. I think I need to speak with a broker rather than a direct insurer, Can you guys recomend any good brokers ?

POCOHORSE

Troy & Tracy Chaddon
The best deal we found for our TT was with GMAC. We have the truck insured with USAA. Hope this helps.

Tracy

argyll1st

I have a Quotation from them and its $2400 per year for 2005 F350 & 2010 Sundance 3300RLB I thought that was a bit high ?

Jim-n-Leslie

I have all of my vehicles insured through USAA, but evidently they have partnered with Progressive for campers, so our 5th wheel is insured through Progressive. They have very good coverage for the cost.
Jim

2010augusta

Give Farmers / Foremost insurance, We are very happy with the rates and they offer true full-timers coverage, with money to help if you are dis-place while the rig is in a shop.

lhetsler

My 07 dodge 3500 and Bighorn 3670 is 600 yr. I am not fulltime. Insurance is Progressive for Bighorn (300 yr) 21 Century (AIG) for truck 300 yr.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We have Progressive for the Trailer and all of my vehicles through The Hartford/AARP. Good rates and good coverage.
Fred

beasleyrl

When we bought our Cyclone, we traded a Cougar. With the Cougar, we had Virginia Farm Bureau Ins and it was about $250 per year. They wanted almost $500 for the Cyclone so we switched to AON Recreation (now Poliseek). They wrote a Progressive policy for about $275 with better coverage than we had through VFB and the value of the trailer was nearly 3 times that of the Cougar. We have since switched all our coverage to Progressive and have save about $1000/year over what we were paying for VFB. That would be 2 cars, truck, trailer, moped, and house...

sgtbigb

My vehicles are insured with ARRP Hartford. They was half the price as progressive. GMAC recently insured my BigHorn for $529.00 a year compared to $969.00 a year Progressive was charging.

Wharton

Be careful that you are not all talking about apples and oranges. My understanding is that "normal" insurance from a company is not the same as the insurance from an RV specialty company.

I don't remember specifics on this but perhaps someone else can.

wdk450

My "Apples and Oranges" question is: Are these quotes for full replacement comprehensive coverage as well as legally required liability??
It would also be nice to hear some California owners quotes, as geographic location can make a BIG difference in rates. This is one of the factors fulltimers look at when setting up an official home state.

Wharton

More apples and oranges----

Also, declining deductible and is the trailer insured when not connected to the truck????

Rrloren

I suggest you check your local phone book for Insurance Brokers and find a couple of them who handle several Ins. companies and let them see what they can do for you. The more companies the Broker carries the better.

Dave012

I suspect it may depend on where you are actually living/residing now. If its Britisch Columbia, then you may need to go through ICBC, the government insurance for basic insurance. I don't reside in B.C. so I'm not familiar with all of the rules, but someone else may be.

If you're going to eventually register the truck and 5th wheel there you probably have to look into it then.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We contacted our State Farm agent, whom we've done business with for many years. He contacted the company and said they could continue to cover us as full timersfor both the truck and trailer.

SmokeyBare

There is a difference with insurance for those who still have their own home and those who are living full time in their RV. Those who still own a home that is insured are protected with liability insurance. That liability insurance from your home owners policy often can be used to cover liability issues when using your RV. Those with out a home or home owners insurance should make sure they get liability insurance coverage for their RV. For one visitor to tumble down the steps leaving your RV could really cause injury to the person and injury to the RV owners wallet... with out insurance to cover the costs of that injury.

We selected a company called RV America Insurance when we decided to go full time.

Link: http://www.rv-insurance-coverage.com/fifth-wheel_coverage.asp

We have our Bighorn covered with this company but not the truck. The Truck insurance is with State Farm Insurance, we've had that company for most of my driving years.

RV America Insurance is only a broker who puts together a policy needed for your requirements. (As I Understand it) They also provide coverage for Medium duty trucks.

Below is copied from their web page...

RV America represents six top-rated companies. Through these companies we’re able to provide fifth-wheel, camper trailer insurance and travel trailer insurance on more risks than a typical agency or direct writer. Because we represent these six companies, we can usually offer lower premiums and better coverage. All of this incredible coverage comes from companies rated A, Excellent, or higher. The coverage provided by these companies is far superior to the modest coverage you’ll get with a typical auto carrier.

Total loss replacement
24/7 roadside assistance
Accessories coverage
Emergency expenses
Full-timer coverage
Fire, flood, and theft
Collision coverage
Low-Branch Collision
Personal items replacement, and more

Good Luck with your search for affordable Insurance.

I asked for a quote from USAA and was referred to Progressive. That is who USAA has sub-contracted for their RV policies. An annual quote from Progressive was $524.00 a year. I am not new to RVing but it has been awhile since I had one. What concerned me was that my 42 years with USAA was not taken into consideration. I went with Geico at $216.00 a year.

I had to reply as I caught your info and saw the Retired (CW4). I also am a retired CW4 (1989).

Jay

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have Progressive for the car, truck, RV and home. They handled an RV collision claim last year, an RV roadside assistance call, and are dealing with our RV wind damage claim now. I've been very happy with them!