Shock Absorbers

T

tgboyd

What has everyone's experience been with factory shocks? How many miles do they normally last? What is ballpark mileage to change them out? I had a Minnie Winnie before I bought my fifth wheel and it only had 19,000 miles on it when I changed to Bilstein shocks and it rode a ton better after that. I have a 2005 2500HD CC Diesel 4x4 with air bags.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Tom

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
If your asking about the 5th, we've got approx. 25,000 on our 97 Jayco Designer, so far so good. Won't be many more as it is being traded in for a Big Horn. Had approx. 60,000 on our 2000 Ram 2500 and no problems, that also got traded.../Doug

T

tgboyd

Doug,

Thanks. I probably wasn't clear-- I was asking about the shocks on the pickup and what has been folk's experience on how many miles the OEM shocks can be expected to last before needing to be replaced. I know it depends on how the truck is driven and how many miles are off-road etc. but was just looking for ballpark numbers from folks with experience towing. I have about 30,000 miles on the truck now. I am tempted to go with new shocks just because I know they work so much better especially towing a heavy load like the Cyclone.

Tom

svd

Tom,
I have an F-350 that I changed the shocks on at around 40,000 miles. After much reading, I installed a set of Bilsteins. As you probably know, they have a lifetime warranty. I did have one fail around 75,000 and didn't have any problem getting it replaced from the factory.

I called them, they charge you for the new shock, ship it, and then give a credit for the cost once they receive your old shock determine it didn't fail from abuse.

T

tgboyd

Steve,

Thanks. We go to Oregon from Texas every October Chukar hunting and we have bird dogs, a Kawasaki Mule (weighs around 1200 lbs.) and hunting gear with 4 people in the truck and I wanted to be as safe as possible so my thoughts were changing out the shocks before the trip. Appreciate your input.

Tom

kognito

most truck manufactures are notorious for using "inexpensive" shocks. Shock replacement is one of the easiest improvements you can make to your tow vehicle. My F350 has only about 6K miles on it, and I will be replacing the shocks soon, and I'm also adding the Mor ryde RL system to the leaf springs at the same time.

svd

Kognito, I actually bought the Morryde for my 350, but haven't installed it yet. I have an after market exhaust, so it looks like things will be tight on the right side. I am looking forward to the difference it will make. If it is as dramatic as the change to the 5ver when I put the Morryde pin box on, I will be happy!

jpmorgan37

I put the MorRyde pin box on my Grand Canyon in June and am pleased with the difference it made in absorbing the "chucking" action. It didn't do much for the up and down movement on the hitch but the air suspension on the truck took care of that. In my opinion, the Trail Aire does a better job absorbing the up and down shock, where the MorRyde takes a lot more of the front to back and side to side shock. Air bags and the MorRide hitch has been a good combination for us.

John

tgboyd,
I have an 04.5 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins 600, I changed out my shocks to Bilstein when I got 15,000 miles. The OEM shocks were fine. As a mater of fact I still have them in case I trade the truck for another. The Bilstein made a dramatic difference, I am very please with them. :)

kognito

svd said:
Kognito, I actually bought the Morryde for my 350, but haven't installed it yet. I have an after market exhaust, so it looks like things will be tight on the right side. I am looking forward to the difference it will make. If it is as dramatic as the change to the 5ver when I put the Morryde pin box on, I will be happy!

Once you install the RL, I'd like to know what your impressions are. (and how hard it was to install!!;) )

Doug