2010 Tacoma as tow vehicle

ltravels

I am thinking of using a 4.0 liter V6 toyota tacoma with tow package (6500 lbs.) for my tow vehicle on a NT 24RBS. Does anyone have any experience? What sort of gas milage?

Thanks, Larry

Saildogs

We've ordered a 24 rbs that will be towed with a Ford Expedition with a max tow capacity of 8600#. The 24rbs has a max weight of 6900 so your Tacoma tow capacity may not be enough to tow this TT.

irvin56

http://heartlandrvs.com/product.htm...il&type=Travel+Trailer&section=specifications

Here's a link to specs.
NOW unloaded is around 4,900lbs. With propane battery etc.
That leaves you around 1,6000 lbs to play with for added weight you can add.
GVWR for trailer is max weight, but does not mean you have to load it to max.

Trailer gvwr are rated because of axles 2- 3500lb axles =6,900 lbs for trailer
so all trailer with those axles will be same GVWR, so you should go by that for max load,
but use dry(unloaded) for factor of towing + added stuff from you.

If you carry water to dry camp, or carry water and waste back with you. YOU NEED to add that to weight factor also.
Think about what you take camping and how many people you take. also area of travel, flat, hills mountains etc.
that all adds to tow factor.

If you load everything but kitchen sink(max gvwr) and hope to tow. no way will you be safe amd truck will have problems in long run.

If your answers to this is taking to much stuff, mountains and that then you should look at a nother line of units.

http://heartlandrvs.com/product.html?id=18&name=Focus&type=Ultra+Lightweights&section=specifications

http://heartlandrvs.com/product.html?id=12&name=EDGE&type=Ultra+Lightweights&section=specifications

Have fun with what ever the trailer you buy.
And welcome to the forum. loads of info on all lines they make.

Check out other lines on the forum and investagate the two I just linked to

I am maxed with my unit and truck, but I also do not carry fresh water or waste (black, grey).
I load water and dump water and waste at CG's before I hit the road

Brad

I used to tow my 21FBS with a Tacoma. It did fine on the flats, but got maxed out fairly easily with a headwind up moderate grades. There were times on I-40 between Albuquerque and Flagstaff when I had it floored in 5th (6 speed manual) just to maintain 60mph (should be in 6th by 50mph when not towing). My leg was fatigued from pressing on the accelerator so much. The Tacoma did great on the return trip without the headwind, but it was a tad shy of a carefree towing experience. It was 95% of what I wanted it to be. I now drive a Tundra 5.7 but haven't towed yet (hoping to this weekend!).
Looks like the 24RBS only weighs a couple hundred pounds more, so it should be similar.

That being said, I see you're in Colorado. I think after an outing or two you will be shopping for a bigger engine!

Stability was not an issue whatsoever. That trailer was SOLID behind the Tacoma.

Brad

I should also mention my towing was with minimal additional weight. 15 gallons of water, extra battery, 150lb me, and 120lb wife in truck; battery, propane, bedding, clothes, food, and lightweight cookware/dinnerware in trailer.

signguy

I have a 2010 Tacoma with tow package. I added a Prodigy brake controller, and use an Equilizer brand WD hitch. My truck has had the TSB done to replace the rear springs with 4 leaf HD ones - this is a must have to tow a heavy load so I would strongly suggest you get it done before your trailer arrives.

I'm super conservative and did not want to be doing white-knuckle towing so I "under bought" my trailer, giving up some amenities and space to keep the weight down. We tow a 2011 Edge 22M that weighs about 4000 lbs dry, and a bit less than 5000 lbs fully loaded and wet.

I'm perfectly content with this match-up and would not hesitate to recommend it to you. We have great stability, no sway, and the truck can pull this load as fast as you want on level ground and at a pretty decent clip up hill (although it is working hard on a steep grade). However, I'm really glad I did not max out and do a 6500 lb trailer - based on my experiences with 4500 - 5000 lbs, it would be a loud, slow ride pulling this much weight. My take is that the truck could totally do it, but it would be at high RPM and thus not be fun or without some strain.

ltravels

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to go with a lighter weight trailer. I am getting a focus fx 21. I looked at the edge, but wanted enclosed and heated holding tanks. I also had some concerns about the duriability of the edge windows.

Larry

wilsoac

We have just picked up our 2011 Edge M22 and currently tow the a 2008 SR5 Tacoma with a 5000 lb towing capacity. We have added the brake controller and a Equilizer hitch. (dry weight of just shy of 3700 lbs, so loaded with food and supplies likely 4500 lbs)

I agree - it pulls perfectly on the flats/highway. (Eat the gas - we only got 300km per tank.)

Our thoughts are that if we are just planning on hauling a couple of hours from home on flats or rolling terrain, we would be fine, BUT if we want to take a long haul trip or do some mountain passes we aren't sure if it would be too taxing on the truck. (We certainly don't want to be on vacation with a break down!)

We looked at upgrading to the TRD Tacoma with the extra 1500 lb towing capacity but the dealer recommended we consider the Tundra (as we also haul a horse trailer every week). We are not heavy packers and plan on always hauling dry. With our family of four and a dog, we are upgrading to the Tundra Crewcab to give us some extra room/power.

We love our Tacoma. It is a wonderful truck. Never a problem with it - only routine maintenance.

It is a hard decision to make but ultimately, who wants to have such a beautiful trailer and be restricted to a two hour drive of home? We can now go to AZ, FL, and take the kids to the Rockies, PEI - I cant wait for summer 2011!

PeternLiane

I have a 2010 Tacoma with tow package. I added a Prodigy brake controller, and use an Equilizer brand WD hitch. My truck has had the TSB done to replace the rear springs with 4 leaf HD ones - this is a must have to tow a heavy load so I would strongly suggest you get it done before your trailer arrives.

I'm super conservative and did not want to be doing white-knuckle towing so I "under bought" my trailer, giving up some amenities and space to keep the weight down. We tow a 2011 Edge 22M that weighs about 4000 lbs dry, and a bit less than 5000 lbs fully loaded and wet.

I'm perfectly content with this match-up and would not hesitate to recommend it to you. We have great stability, no sway, and the truck can pull this load as fast as you want on level ground and at a pretty decent clip up hill (although it is working hard on a steep grade). However, I'm really glad I did not max out and do a 6500 lb trailer - based on my experiences with 4500 - 5000 lbs, it would be a loud, slow ride pulling this much weight. My take is that the truck could totally do it, but it would be at high RPM and thus not be fun or without some strain.

What do you mean by saying that you've had TSB done? What is that?

jimtoo

Hi PeternLiane,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully some day to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

A "TSB" is an automotive abbreviation for Technical Service Bulletins. A Technical Service Bulletin is something usually issued by the Manufacture of the vehicle to repair a known defect or improve something somewhere.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

PeternLiane

After a lot of research, we finally bought a North Trail22fbs on November 3rd 2011. Our tow vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with the tow package. Our Tacoma towed that trailer like a champion. The trailer pulled very well even better then I was told. Our first trip was over the 4[SUP]th[/SUP]and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Awesome is all I can say. We towed it back and both vehicles did awesome again. I can’t wait till next camping season.

9-larry

the wife and i just bought a north trail 26brss. we pull it with a 4.7 tundra and halled it from texas to quincy illinois and back it pulled great,tundra is a great texas built truck.

PeternLiane

Our American made Tacoma did great too. We bought the NT 22fbs for the now and the future. So when the budget allows it we'll be getting an American made Tundra too. These are some great trucks.

frano

We tow our 2012 Edge M21 with our 2011 Tacoma DC V6 with factory tow package with a 6500 # rating. Here in New England it's hilly and the Tacoma does fine. We did a 5 hour tow this Fall (300 miles) and the truck was very capable and very comfortable. The only drawback is mileage--21.5 without the trailer but only 10 MPG towing the fully loaded M21. Would I consider another tow vechile--no way--the Tacoma's too dependable, durable, and fun to drive.

zeus7625

2009 Tacoma with the tow package, a brake controller and a WDH, took off to Gatlinburg, TN and North Alabama. The Tacoma did great with our 21FBS.