Kansas Campgrounds

robnmo

We're going to be making a trek to Colorado springs in a few weeks, any suggestions on campgrounds for an overnight or 2 day stay (going out and coming back) somewhere in the middle of Kansas along I-70 for a holdover place. Also does anyone have any idea about the road from Limon, CO to Colorado springs mainly for low clearances, SR 24? This is probably going to be our 1st long trip pulling the Cyclone along.

skyguy

Hi RobnMo -

No problems at all with US24, although it does get pretty busy from Peyton on to Colo Springs, and only two lane, with passing zones every now and then. No overheads. You might consider taking 40 at Oakley, and CO94 to Colorado Springs. Much less traffic, nice drive. That's the route I would take.

Can't help you with the Kansas campgrounds.

Coming out for the USAFA graduation? Or just picking up a future grad?

Enjoy Colorado! We love it here. If I can offer more help, just let me know!

robnmo

sky

Thanks for the info, I don't see that route on the Atlas, guess I'll revert to a state map (got a few of them around) ;-) and check it out we're looking for the best route to the North gate to Famcamp. Yep we're heading out for our final trip to USAFA, the daughter graduates in May, then we'll have both kids in the Florida panhandle for awhile (altitude adjustment) and her brother is enlisted for 10 yrs so there'll also be an (attitude adjustment) LOL . No argument on COS, it's a beautiful place, and some of the friendliest people we've met anywhere. Thanks again for the info.

robnmo

sky

I got ya now, Oakley in KS through Kit Carson to Aroya then 94 into the Springs. The SO just informed me we've been that way on the last 2 trips, that probably is a good call, thanks..................senior moment, glad she'll be driving. LOL

Two Hands

In September, 2008, we spent the night at High Plains Camping in Oakley, Kansas, and it was nice. The next night we were in the Oak Grove KOA near Kansas City, Missouri. My CEO/Navigator made a notation that it was bad. I think it we didn't like it because it was so close to the interstate making for a lot of traffic noise.

skyguy

Just before you get to US 24 outside Colo Springs, you can take Marksheffel north, up to Woodmen. Woodmen east to Powers. Powers north to SR83... If you turn left on 83, you'll backtrack just a little, then go north on I25 to Northgate Rd, which goes west into the Academy. If you go right on 83, you can turn left on Northgate, and go directly to the Academy. Famcamp's not far from the Northgate. Used to do some Boy Scout Campouts there - as a leader, not a Scout! Before 9-11 USAFA used to sponsor a Freezoree for the Scouts in the area. The cadets did ALL the organizing for the Scouts, and the Scouts had a blast.

Enjoy!

And congratulations to your daughter!!

Al

lwmcguir

We're going to be making a trek to Colorado springs in a few weeks, any suggestions on campgrounds for an overnight or 2 day stay (going out and coming back) somewhere in the middle of Kansas along I-70 for a holdover place. Also does anyone have any idea about the road from Limon, CO to Colorado springs mainly for low clearances, SR 24? This is probably going to be our 1st long trip pulling the Cyclone along.

Be sure you have plenty of fuel when you get off I 70 and head for the springs. The road is OK but not great and no issues with low clearance. Lots of long hills and pretty tough pull that will have your transmission shifting a bit. No fuel or stops for almost 80% of the drive.

mict1341

Try Ellis just West of Hays on I-70 take the Ellis exit go 1/2 mile south and turn left, just past the bridge its on a river, tall cottonwood trees plenty of fishing and never crowded I live 15 miles from this and I spend several outings a year at this location very relaxing!!!

robnmo

Try Ellis just West of Hays on I-70 take the Ellis exit go 1/2 mile south and turn left, just past the bridge its on a river, tall cottonwood trees plenty of fishing and never crowded I live 15 miles from this and I spend several outings a year at this location very relaxing!!!

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

One of the nicest KOA's that we have stayed at is in Wakeeny, Kansas. It is right of I-70. Another is the KOA in Goodland, Kansas. It is a little further off I-70 but not hard to get to. This may be too late for the trip you are talking about but maybe will help in the future.

Larry and Joanna
Our two traveling yorkies - Lizzie and Molly
2010 3055RL Bighorn
2008 Dodge Bighorn diesel

robnmo

One of the nicest KOA's that we have stayed at is in Wakeeny, Kansas. It is right of I-70. Another is the KOA in Goodland, Kansas. It is a little further off I-70 but not hard to get to. This may be too late for the trip you are talking about but maybe will help in the future.

Larry and Joanna
Our two traveling yorkies - Lizzie and Molly
2010 3055RL Bighorn
2008 Dodge Bighorn diesel

Nope not too late, we're rolling out sometime friday, this gives us some more options. Greatly appreciated.