more electrical problems.... some help please

boydk2001

So I had the battery checked and it had a dead cell. so i bought a new one. the problem is i didnt pay attention to which post is what when i disconnected. Now i have always been told red is positive.. does that hold true in the rv?? I have hooked it up that way but now the radio does not work. I have checked the fuse in the main box for the radio and it looks good but I dont know. Any ideas from you guys who have been doing this longer than me?

PUG

Pug
Red cable is positive, black is negative. The battery will have a plus + for positive and a - for negative. My radio is 12 volt which I believe all cars and rv's are. Hook batteries up and try lights etc. If they work alright then probably a fuse on the radio.

mlburst1

Our Sundance radio is 12 volt - as Pug suggested, hook up your battery correctly and see if your interior lights are working. If so, the radio fuse is probably blown.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
BOYD, ALWAYS CONNECT THE POSITIVE CABLE 1ST. THEN THE NEGITIVE CABLE. YOU DON'T WANT ARCING AND SPARKING GOING ON. BLOWS FUSES AND CAN SMOKE OTHER COMPONETS. YOU MIGHT EVEN LET ALL THE SMOKE OUT OF SOME WIRES. JMHO Bob

boydk2001

Guys, thanks for the replys. I had the battery hooked up correctly... now seems that the converter has been fried. Whatever fried the converter has also done a number on the radio and potentially the refrig also. Dropped the unit off at the repair shop yesterday. Now waiting to hear what they find. Just goes to show.... you cant have toys without having to fixem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
boydk2001, if during your little indecision on what goes where, if you happened to hook the wires to the terminals incorectly, even for a second, you will have blown the fuses on the converter. You may not have a fried converter. I believe there are three thirty amp fuses there.
Let us know what your repair shop says.

Peace
Dave

Elevatorman

I did a midnight battery change and hooked mine up backwards once, just a touch. I blew all three fuses in the converter and blew the radio fuse also. I also had to reset the GFCI's too. Thanks to the members here I was able to find the converter. Try the fuses first before taking it to a repair shop.

boydk2001

Ok I should know better than run my trailer to the shop before checking in with all of ya'll. Just got a call from the repair facitlity. Seems I did cross the wires when i went to hook up the battery. Blown fuses in the converter and blown fuses behind the radio. Could have fixed it myself. Thanks for all the help. I will check with ya'll before i do anything else...... so, where should i go next???

Rmcgrath53

Ok I should know better than run my trailer to the shop before checking in with all of ya'll. Just got a call from the repair facitlity. Seems I did cross the wires when i went to hook up the battery. Blown fuses in the converter and blown fuses behind the radio. Could have fixed it myself. Thanks for all the help. I will check with ya'll before i do anything else...... so, where should i go next???

camping of course

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Guys, thanks for the replys. I had the battery hooked up correctly... now seems that the converter has been fried. Whatever fried the converter has also done a number on the radio and potentially the refrig also. Dropped the unit off at the repair shop yesterday. Now waiting to hear what they find. Just goes to show.... you cant have toys without having to fixem.

Sounds like you have had a power surge. That happened to us also and it fried the converter, tv, central vac etc. You need to get a surge protector to plug your RV into to protect it. Progressive Dynamics makes an excellent one.