Day Night Blinds

BluegrassMan

Hi Gang:

I have a easy question for ya'll. How do you adjust the tension of the blinds ? I have one at the tall narrow windows in the LR, that doesn't want to stay up. I've never had this problem before:confused: . Is it how tight the strings are on the post at the bottom screw in the wall? Usually, the blinds are real tight to pull up and down. Wuz Up wit dat ?

jbeletti

Denny,

I too have a lazy shade but I've been even lazier than the shade and havenot adjusted it. Factory told me that yes, it's the tension of the cord wrapped around that screw/button on the wall below the shade. Let us know if that works for you. Maybe your success will incent me to do mine :)

jpmorgan37

Hi Gentlemen;
I've had to adjust several of mine. If you wrap the tension string in a clockwise direction around the little spool at the bottom, pull the string tight and then tighten the screw, it will hold. Be careful not to strip the screw hole (I did) but it works good.
John

svd

I had the same problem with one of the shades, did as John suggested, and all is well. I first thought something was broken! It is an easy adjustment.

jpmorgan37

Hi PK;
When I was tightening the screw that holds the little spool that the cord wraps around, it stripped the threads in the wallboard and the screw wouldn't tighten up. I had to make a new hole and patched the hole where the screw had been. It wasn't the first one. Some of the spools had several holes that the original installers had done the same thing. I just patched them all.

John

Tom of Ypsi

I had the same problem but corrected if differenty. I unscrewed the spool from the wall, tied another knot farther up the string on both sides to make it tighter then screwed the spool back in. I had tried the other way but some of my blinds had the string wound around the spool 5 or 6 times making it impossible to tighten the spool enough to hold the string.

jpmorgan37

I found that by winding the string clockwise around the spool, that they would tighten and stay. If you wind counterclockwise, they come loose again. Now, does anybody have a solution for tight windows? I've got several that my bride can't open and it's all I can do to open them. I have sprayed them with silicone spray and that helped but it's not enough. I'm tempted to take them out completely and remount them.
John

ct0218

John, I have one like that also. The window was installed slightly torqued (out of square) and causes it to bind. I have seen other RV windows that were unmounted and it is easy to warp the frame , esp. when installing. The only wat I see to correct it is to remove and replace. It's a hassle but not complicated.

jpmorgan37

Thanks Clark;

That's what I thought. I might loosen the screws in the frame and try a porta power on one of them and see what that does. Or, when the DW calls, open it for her.

John

dennylm

String completely out

Hey fellow Heartlanders!

I haven't had a lick of trouble with my blinds until the large one in the livingrooom suddenly slid down below the screw device on one side. Upon examination, I've discovered that the strings are no longer coming out of the hole on that end of the tube. This is a wide blind and the other wide ones in our 3055 have two strings instead of one coming out of the flat tube on each end and down through the screwed device. Anyone have any idea how I can retrieve the string(s) and pull them back out the end so I can reattach them?

Denny (on the road in Jacksonville, FL!)

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
Broke the strings

:eek: I just broke the strings on both sides of one of my blinds on a smaller window. Has anybody done that kind of repair?

SmokeyBare

Princess Kathleen,

I've had success by driving in a Small plastic Molly that is made for mounting things on a drywall Wall. Chose a small one and tap it in the over sized screw hole... then screw into the Molly with the same screw.

On other items I've mounted that requires more strength such as towel bars I have used a metal molly that when the screw is tightened... squeezes the back side tight to the wall surface... Ones I have used takes a 1/4 inch hole drilled into the walls... These really grip well... but do leave a permantly attached molly in the hole... should you ever want to remove the item you've used it for.

Bsnider,

I have broken a string on a Day/Night shade... these are a Pain to repair... BUT Do-able.... If You take it down you should see how it attached to each end... the top side has a spring attached to the string which aids the tension part of the shade. I used a wire to help slip the new string down through the fabric of the shade.

I know this is not a very clear answer... but I feel you need to look at the method they attach to the top and bottom parts of the shade to see better how to re-thread the Day/Night shade. Your going to need to find the right type of nylon thread to do this project. I also discovered on the old shades I did ( which were on a 1998 Challenger 5er) That there was a small plastic gromet that the thread goes through on the top and bottom metal bars. When I was repairing those shades... those plastic gromets were cut by the pressure of the thread passing through them. GOOD LUCK !!