Couple of newbe questions

olcoon

We are expecting delivery of our new Elk Ridge very soon, and I've been trying to gleen as much info as possible off here and other places . I've learned quite a bit, and have even been able to pass on a couple things to a friend who has been RVing for a few years. He was kind of shocked that an RV dummie like me knew a few things. Didn't tell him that I cheated!

Current question is that I've seen here, and on other forums that some people use the child proof items on their cabinet doors & kitchen drawers to keep them comming open while going down the road. It seems that I've seen/heard somewhere that because of Heartland's design, etc. These aren't needed. Just wondering if in "real life" this is something we should invest in?

Also, another "gee whiz" question is that I've got a Hitch Haul that I can put on my truck receiver. I just kind of wondered if that it possibly be used while pulling the 5r? Not knowing any more about these things than I do, and never having a 5r hooked up to my truck it seemed that possibly there would be enough room to use it in case some time in the future we might need/want to use it to haul more junk. I'm thinking that possibly when turning there may not be enough clearance.

Thanks!

Cimriver

Can't answer your question about the child guards. You won't enough clearance to use your Hitch Haul while towing the fifth-wheel. I have seen where folks have added a hitch reciever on the back of their fifth-wheel for this purpose. Before I did that I would check real close on what that might do to your warranty however.

Last edited:

SmokeyBare

We use stretch type hair bands to attach cabinet handles that are next to each other. On our (SOB) Old Fifth Wheel I did install the magnetic release type child locks to keep a few cabinet doors from popping open. Our BigHorn is an " 2007 " so if they are using something since ours was built, I have not seen what it might be.

I have had a few things JUMP out of the cabinets. Placement of what's inside is kind of important. That's a learning curve thing once your traveling.

Good Luck with your new Elk Ridge !!

2010augusta

x2 with the hair bands. we only put them on the doors that could open behind a slide and cause a problem. So far none of the doors have ever opened while on the road, but the bands provide some more peace of mind.

NO room for any thing bigger that a a few inches behind the bumper of the truck.

Two Hands

We have one cabinet door in our 2007 Big Horn 3055RL that keeps popping open. I just bought a magnetic child proof lock and will install it soon. We use hair bands and little bungie cords on all our other cabinet doors.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
another way to keep the cabinet doors closed is to put a velcro strip on the back side of the cabinet door and the mating velcro strip on the mating side of the cabinet face. When you close the door they lock together keeping the door closed. Works on drawers too. That is what we have done and keeps them closed without have to use other methods.

On our BH 3600RE we use heavy duty rubber bands and small bungee cords. Don't forget that refrig door either. On our first long trip we failed to secure the refrig door. When we got to our destination we had made omlets in the floor from a broken dozen of eggs... Good Luck..

THe only dors that we put little bungee cords on are the pantry in our 3610RE THat was due to the dealer reccommending it because of the slide. HE said that he had heard of the door coming open when traveling and while not being seen when opening the slide and messing up the either the door or the slide molding. As someone else said. I think placement has a lot to do with it. Of course better safe than sorry is the way we roll.

Sundance_kid

With my Sundance you could do a hitch haul, I carried a 3000 Honda, but cut the hitch haul down just wide enough to fit the Honda.. The width is what will stop sharp turns, I had about 18" to 22" from the Honda to the 5er. Got tired of the humping the Honda and went with 2 EU 2000.

Northern Virginia
Like others have said, the hitch haul behind the truck won't work.. You could have a receiver welded to the back of the 5ver and put the hitch haul back there for you generator or other gear.

Cheers- John