Generator BS...again!

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Well, the saga continues on the generator. My 2010 3950 gennie has not worked right since day one, always hard to start and when it did start it would run for 15 secs and shut down. I thought that I had found the problem last fall, gelled up fuel (**** ethanol in our fuel). Drained the tank and filled with high test Sunoco 94, cleaned the carb etc, etc. Ran great, added some Stabil to tank and exercised the gennie well with varied loads before storing the RV for the winter.

Well, it is a nice weekend and I thought, let's exercise the gennie. No start.......this time t would not pump any fuel? Took the whole fuel pump off this time and finally found the issue. The in-line fuel filter, small silver metal filter located just ahead of the pump. On inspection, of course "MADE IN CHINA"......and it appears that the filter is part of the pump housing...come on! The filter was completely plugged with black sludge, almost like a rubber. Solved the problem by drilling out the filter and adding a nice larger in-line filter from Autozone at the cost of $2, also "MADE in the USA"

As a secondary measure, I also put another filter , one of the smaller plastic "see through" filters just ahead of the carb. Primed it up, runs like a top!!!!!!!!!!!!

When are we all going to wake up and revolt against this Chinese crap..........

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You will have better performance if 87 octane is used, the 94 burns slower than 87 and is for higher compression engines. Using 94 will leave un burnt fuel deposits throughout your intake system and oil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern Virginia
X2 on the 87 octane. Also, use Sta-Bil year 'round to help deal with the ethanol in the gasoline. I understand that even in a little as a couple of weeks, untreated gas with ethanol in it can ruin your carburetor.

John

philgrg

Try "Sea Foam" http://www.seafoamsales.com/ You can find it at Wal Mart or most auto parts stores. It works like Sta-Bil to preserve the gas and removes carbon deposits, varnish, etc. from your engine. I may hear of the first tomorrow, but I've yet to hear of anyone who's tried it that didn't like it.