Hauling toys without the toy hauler

LKW

We have a new 3/4 ton Chev. ,selling a motorhome, looking at the North Trail NT 26 RLSS. We have two 150 Scooters. Originally, looking for a toy hauler, can't seem to find what we like and is feasible for us to tow. My question, do you think it would work to haul one scooter on the back rack of the NT 26 RLSS and one in the truck?? I really like this trailer, and I don't like the look of most toy haulers. I don't want to camp in a box.:confused:

jimtoo

Hi LKW,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help and share.

Heartland has some mighty nice toy haulers. Some one will jump in soon and give their thoughts on the scooters. You might give us an idea of the weight of the scooters also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

truknutt

Committed Member
LKW,

Is that a 26 LRss travel trailer? Why not put both scooters in the truck; 150cc, right? I personally wouldn't want one hanging out there without being able to see it. Items hung on the back seem to get bounced & whipped around a good bit. I know many do it but, that's just my 2 cents worth.

LKW

I think the scooters are around 300 lbs each but I am not sure. Someone told my husband that it would be too much weight on the truck to have two scooters in the truck and haul a 28-30 ft travel trailer. Do you think it would?

LKW

Yes we are looking at the 26 LRSS travel trailer. We didn't know if the weight of two 300 lb scooters in the back of the truck and haul a 28 to 30ft would be too much for the truck. I really appreciate the responses and help. I don't know much about hauling and so I started reading this site. You all sound so friendly and helpful. Thank you so much for your assistance.

jimtoo

Personally, I would much rather have the scooters in the bed of the truck instead of one on the back of the trailer. Way to much bounce and leverage on the back of the trailer frame. Your 3/4 ton Chev will not even know they are in the bed. I think 300 lbs is a little heavy for the scooters, don't know what kind you have but, from looking at a couple of different sites, the scooters weight less than 200# each.

Also I would assume you are going to use an equalizer type hitch for the trailer, much better and comfortable towing.

Jim M

rjfrider

We haul a 26 ft travel trailer, and many times have 3 - 250-300# Dirt bikes in the bed of the truck along with the loading ramp, bike gas, tools, generator and riding gear. The tow vehicle (was) a 3/4 ton Chevy. No problems with weight/handling, etc. Agree with the above that in the bed is better than on the back of the trailer.

With a decent loading ramp, you should be able to easily get the scooters into the bed. I use a motorcycle stand as a step up while loading the bikes into the bed because of the height of the bed and the height of the bars while pushing the bike up the ramp. Also, it helps to put the rear wheels of the truck next to the curb or in the gutter pan while loading from a sloped driveway.

Two scooters in the back should be no problem IMO. hope this helps. rider

Last edited: