use of amsoil

fljlcw

Hi ALL just some questions how many have experience with their oil and bi pass filters how many miles on oil how often do you change filters do you use any additives Thanks Fred

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I use to be a Amsoil dealer, their products and good but overpriced.

I never liked oil by-pass filters because most of them cause your main engine oil pressure and volumes to drop below factory levels.

Rmcgrath53

I just started using Amsoil last summer. I have about 7500 miles on this batch. I replaced the filter at 5,ooo miles. I am going to have the oil anylized soon. I bought the test kit with the oil. They claim to get 25,000 miles on an oil change. If the test comes back still good I will then purchase another oil filter and buy another test kit . If i can get 20,000 miles on the oil it will be worth the extra money. The motor sounds great. It does blue smoke in the winter , for a few minutes until it warms up.

ricatic

You do not mention what truck you have. Some vehicles can go much further on oil changes with the synthetics. That maybe a good reason for a bypass filter. My experience is with the Ford 6.0. No lectures or criticisms needed. This engine will not benefit from an oil bypass filter. Extended oil change intervals beyond 7500 miles are a no/no. The high pressure oil punp that fires the injectors shears the oil down to 30 weight by then. Many guys that have bypass systems have done before and after Blackstone analysis on their engine oil. The results have shown no statistically significant changes in pre by-pass to post by-pass samples. The 6.4 engine shoes similar results. The 7.3 does not seem to shear the oil as fast. The synthetics certainly make winter time running, especially cold starting, much smoother.

fljlcw

Thanks guys for the input , and sorry for the lack of info. We have A 2000 Freightliner with A 300 HP Cat and allison auto Fred

bill40

I have tried using Amsoil and found the test came back no better(although very good) than the synthetic I was using. With the additional cost per qt and the cost of there filter I went back to my old brand. Just another 2 cents worth.

wdk450

Has anyone use Amsoil Extended Life gear oil in their rear differentail? They claim something like 500,000 miles between changes.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
By-pass is nothing new, been around for many many years! I have long hauls with over 100,000 on the oils. I have a 7.3 PSD (year 2000) with 85,000 miles on the same oil, sampled at 10,000 miles and bypass filter and standard changed at 20,000. Dropping of pressure is a new one to me, never heard of such a thing. Pressure tests show absolutley no differance with the bypass ( it only filters 17qts in 2.5 hours ). Engines we have are racked at 100,000 and not one single problem. Oil does not break down only the additives in it do.

NewCyclone

I am an AMSOIL dealer and would be more than happy to help anyone with their questions about the product. AMSOIL does guarantee their diesel synthetic oil will provide protection to 3x OEM recommended drain intervals and the EO line of AMSOIL filters are guaranteed to 25,000 miles. However, if you have a 2007 or newer diesel engine with the DPF filter, AMSOIL recommends changing per OEM recommendations unless you conduct oil analysis.

My thoughts, I obvisously use AMSOIL and love the product, hence the reason I became a dealer. I have changed all my fluids to AMSOIL and have actually seen a slight increase in MPG. AMSOIL Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel Oil has lower volatility (burn-off) than conventional petroleum oils. Because less oil vapor passes into the combustion chamber, oil consumption and emissions are reduced. Lower volatility helps AMSOIL Premium Diesel Oil retain its viscosity after high-temperature service for continued dependable protection.

I just completed an oil analysis on my 15w-40 oil after 5,000 miles and it came back clean and approved for continued use. Many of you talk about the cost of AMSOIL, but if you look at the cost you spend changing your oil every 3-5,000 miles versus the cost of an oil sampling kit. I will take the sampling kit any day and if it says for me to change my oil, well then I will spend that money. I'd rather not change it if I don't need to. Additionally, the oil sampling is going to tell you what else is going on in your engine, potentially alerting you to engine failure in the future.

As for the bypass filter and pressure drops, that is the first I have heard of that. The AMSOIL EaO filters already filter 98.7% at 15 microns and are guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year. As for the bypass filters they have an effeciency of 98.7% at 2 microns. The bypass filter is usually used in a dual filter configuration with a AMSOIL EaO filter. The bypass filter, or EaBP filter as they are called, is recommended for change every other full-flow change or 60,000 miles. With the bypass system the increased fluid system capacity and filtration life provides improved oil cooling and ensures that equipment constantly runs on clean oil. Engine efficiency is increased, providing extended engine life.

Like I said, if anyone has questions about these products feel free to contact me and I will be happy to answer them.

I use AmsOil in my vehicles and love it. The bypass filters seem to be something for the "long-haulers" in order for it to be beneficial. I don't even put the 25,000 on my truck in a year, so I just change my oil once per year either way. The wife was driving over 100 miles per day with her old job. It got old real quick keeping up on conventional oil changes every month! As far as the prices, I just like the fact that AmsOil is a big well-known manufacturer and it don't seem bad. I'm sure there are cheaper full synthetics out there, but it seems as if when I look they are around the same price per quart if not more than AmsOil anyway. I also use the SevereGear diff. fluid. In my opinion, why go semi-synthetic when you can go full for more mileage, or at least better protection. Between ALL vehicles on using AmsOil, I have personally experienced approximately 130,000 miles of hauling mixed with daily driving without problems. I have a small group of friends that get together once per year to put in an order for AmsOil and it's been working out great for us so far. I don't think it really matters which product you ultimately go with, just be sure to get a full-synthetic in order to reap the benefits. One guy I know changes his oil religiously every 3000 miles with Mobil 1, in my opinion it's a waste of money.

Jim-n-Leslie

After going through the many forums, to include Heartland Owners and many Diesel truck owner forums, it is clear that there are as many opinions about "the best synthetic" or "dino" oil as there are vehicle owners. I do not have the list readily available, but there is a list of synthetics ranked by performance floating out there, and although AmsOil ranks high, Shell Rotella T is the highest rated full synthetic out there. Last fall Shell started distributing Rotella T6. Again, I am on travel, so I do not have the stat sheet readily available. That said, it is available online, and if you can swallow the company produced fish-wrapper on the street, Rotella T6 looks very good. T6 just started showing up on the shelves of WalMart, so last fall I opted to by 15 qts of the Rotella T. My F350has been humming along quite well on Rotella T, so I will probably go with what is readily available at Wally-World and switch to Shell Rotella T6 as (supposedly) a better synthetic than last-year's brand.

As far as time between changes, this was my first change. My expectation is that I will probably change oil once a year. I track my miles and do not commute with my truck (as much as I would like to). Although annual mileage is low, pulling the tonnage of a Bighorn warrants changing the oil no less often than annually. More often if I consider it warranted. I have no experience with bypass filters. I do not use any additives in my oil. Some of my thoughts on oil.

Jim

mgdg

Newcyclone the rep from Chrysler Kokomo plant told me to change my tranny fluid with Ams oil synthetic tranny fluid on my 2003 Dodge 5.9td when I first got it after the first 25-30,000kms.(15-20,000 miles)I did at a cost of around $125 filter included and I had the smoothest shift and slight increase in mpg`s Now I have the 2008 Dodge 6.7td and 68re tranny should i do the same with this one?? I have about 35,000kms(21,000 miles) on her. Being retired now I don`t see the Rep anymore.