A/C Temps

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
I know that a/c has been visited several times, but I was wandering if you can give me any idea of what it should keep the inside of the trailer with an outside temp of 90-95. Its in a 2006 3055RL. My air is cold coming out of the quick-cool, but is just not keeping up during the day at all. I just got back from a trip, and it was 84-85 outside and 79-81 inside. 4-5 degree difference seems sub-standard to me. I went with the 3055 because I felt sure that one A/C should keep me cold regardless of temp. outside. Any feedback appreciated.

v92c

Texan
The famous Tent in a Vent mod by Timk might help you out. I did it to mine and increased the airflow from the vents by 75%. But here in Texas I still need the second AC.

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
a/c temp

I saw the tent thing. I have not done that yet. I am gonna let the dealer play with it some first. The other trailer I had before this one was 33ft fifth wheel with slides and it would freeze you to death. I mean 20-25 degree difference regardless of outside temp. "I like it cold." I just figured one more foot would not hurt me that bad if at all. I was in SC this weekend with only 85 degree temps and low humidity. Inside temp got up to 80 everyday. I feel this is not adequate. Thanks for the reply. I will keep stuff posted.

jbeletti

Shane and Tammy,

Sounds like your AC is definately not working correctly. I think Scott Tuttle recently posted that a 20-25 degree difference between outside and inside as measured at the chill grate is what the AC should do. Time to call your dealer or Dometic. Dometic has a toll-free number and is semi-reachable.

Let us know what it ended up being.

Jim

Scott

A/c

Actually, what Dometic says is an 18-22 degree difference between the temperature of the air going into the air intake (inside the coach) and the air coming out. This can usually be tested by portable thermometers.
Suggestion: if the unit has been closed up for a period of time in the sun, there is actually a chance that it feel warmer inside than out when you first arrive at the unit. In this instance, you would want to do your best to "air the coach out" by opening the windows and getting some air flow in there in order to get some of the hot, stagnant air out of the coach and give the air conditioner a "running start" if you will with much cooler air to start with in it's efforts to cool the air down in the coach.
Try the "tent" and if that doesn't work, we will assume that there is some obstruction in the vent ducting that needs to be taken care of. Either way, we can get it flowing better for you.
ST

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
A/c

Scott and others. Thanks for the quick replies. I am not talking about the air being hot when I first get to somewhere. My problem is days into camping when the air has been running non-stop. One day it was 69 degrees in the unit when I woke up. I went ahead and flipped the air to High and by lunch it was 80 degrees outside temp and 77 inside. This is why I think I have a problem. I was getting 50 degree air coming out of the quick cool by just using a hand held thermometer. That should keep my unit cool at any outside temp, I think. Thanks again for all the help.

ChopperBill

If you have 50 degree air coming out you must have an air flow problem. Like Scott said a crushed vent or some other obstruction. The "tent in the vent" will help enormously no matter what other problems you find. One look inside the grill and you will see the air has no chance of making it easily to the ducts. I am guessing ALL makes of RVs can be helped with that simple mod.

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
A/c

I am definitely going to make me a vent tent. I just took it back to the dealer this morning to let them have a go at it first. Sounds like I am very lucky in one aspect that my dealer is 3 miles away. Yep I said 3 miles. In reading some other posts where dealers are hours and hours away, its very easy for me to run back and forth. Not fun all the time, but easy. Thanks again for the input.

tinkers

Full timers
Check all the posts under this section.....we have several regarding this problem. We had the same problem, put in a 2nd unit (factory told us this was the only solution last year), but the thing that did the trick was cutting 3 more vents, 1 in the kitchen, and 2 more in line with the back 2 in the rear, about 4' forward of them.....then added tent in the vent, and voila! finally have acceptable air. Lost the whole summer last year with our dealer trying hard to fix this problem.....factory finally sent someone along with a guy from Dometic, and cutting the vents was what they came prepared to do.....I know that the factory says you don't need them, but TRUST ME,it will suddenly be wonderful to feel all that air!! Our dealer, Colman Campers has been wonderful at solving all these problems from the factory....can't say enough nice things about them. Apparently we are very lucky to have such a caring dealer from what some of you are posting.

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
A/c

I did mention to my dealer about maybe there wasnt enough vents. So far I have been lucky as well. My dealer has been great to work with me on everything. I also have read some of the dealer horror stories. Hope mine doesnt get that way. Thanks.

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
Here is something that I did out of desparation a few weeks ago on vacation. I turned on the Fantastic fan sucking out the hot air at the ceiling while the AC was on wide open throttle. It seemed to help get the temp down when you first stop for the evening. My Sea Breeze 37ft remained much cooler than my GC. My remote thermostat doesn't jibe with a real thermometer. I have to set it at 62 to get 75-76. DUH !!!!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
One thing to watch out for is ice build up on the evap coil. If the discharge temperature is real low, say in the low 50s or high 40s, the evap coil (which will be much colder) will start to freeze. The little ice drops will block the air flow and develop more ice. After time there will no real cooling effect and the coach will just heat up. Another place to look is on the roof. The condensor maybe blocked or damaged from a tree branch. If the condensor is blocked the compressor will cycle off due to high head pressure.

ChopperBill

If all else fails hitch the rig up and head to Colorado! I will show you some spots where the camping is outstanding and the A/C will be nothing but additional weight! ;)

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
A/c

I check all the coils and stuff. No freeze up. No damage. Good condensation running off the top as well. I think the unit is working fine, just need some more flow somehow. Colorado sounds great too. Pretty fur piece from NC for a weekend trip though. (HAHA). Thanks again to all who have helped.

By the way. I printed this entire forum on A/C and gave it to my dealer. They seemed to be very receptive to the idea especially since the factory does have a link on here. Its not just some run of the mill bash the crap out of something type forum.

GaryB

Can somebody please explain what the "tent in vent" is? I'm brnad new to this forum.

Thanks
Gary

K

Ken Washington

GaryB,
Please go to the Search Pull Down and type "tent in th vent" and you will find the answer. This will best answer your question!
Ken