Any news about the Census?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I just received my latest issue of mail and did not receive a census form.

Has any of you that fulltime received your Census Form? It is due to be returned by April 1st. I was thinking it is getting a wee bit short on time. Just wondering if anyone has received theirs yet.

Here is their 2010 web page. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/

I have been reading posts on another forum about the Census.

What is your thoughts?

BC

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
We just got the pre letter stating we should receive the Censius in the next week or so. It's our government at work, why not just send it out the first time, and not have to pay postage twice.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I got a letter today that said I will recieve the Census form next week.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been doing my family's Genealogy for a number of years and it is always a hunt to find information about our family and where they use to live. Can you see what my family in the future will have to do to see what we were doing.

This Census has 10 questions and some will get the American Community Survey which gets more detailed. 14 Pages !!!

The one thing I read about the American Community Survey is that you can be fined for not filling it out ???

From a Glen Beck show http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526264,00.html
BECK: OK. So, if you don't want to fill this out, what happens to you? Do you rot in jail forever and ever?
CLYNE: Well, no, you don't rot in jail forever and ever. The — extensively, the fine could go up to $5,000. But when I called, the woman also said, we would never go after you because it is just a waste of time and money. So, it's up to you whether you want to play roulette with the Census Bureau and risk not turning it in.

Now I am not trying to get into a political debate. Do not go there. I am interested in the surveys and what you may have heard about not filling out the forms because if I get the Community Survey I don't think I would want to give all that information.

What have you heard. What do you think you would do. Can you be fined if you don't fill it out? Don't become political please, keep to the facts so we know what to expect.

BC

BruteForce

We've not yet received ours (or the pre-letter) yet.

Fully one-quarter of the space on this year's form is taken up with questions of race and ethnicity, which are clearly illegitimate and none of the government's business (despite the New York Times' assurances to the contrary on yesterday's (3.8.10) editorial page). So until we succeed in building the needed wall of separation between race and state, I have a proposal. Question 9 on the census form asks "What is Person 1's race?" (and so on, for other members of the household). One's initial impulse might be to misidentify one's race so as to throw a monkey wrench into the statistics; but lying in this constitutionally mandated process is wrong. Don't do it.
Instead, we should answer Question 9 by checking the last option — "Some other race" — and writing in "American." It's a truthful answer but at the same time is a way for ordinary citizens to express their rejection of unconstitutional racial classification schemes. In fact, "American" was the plurality ancestry selection for respondents to the 2000 census in four states and several hundred counties.
So remember: Question 9 — "Some other race" — "American". Pass it on.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Re: Any news about the Census? - Update

Well I found the part about being fined..

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/SBasics/What/What1.htm
The American Community Survey is conducted under the authority of Title 13, United States Code, Sections 141 and 193, and response is mandatory. According to Section 221, persons who do not respond shall be fined not more than $100. Title 18 U.S.C. Section 3571 and Section 3559, in effect amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221 by changing the fine for anyone over 18 years old who refuses or willfully neglects to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers from a fine of not more than $100 to not more than $5,000. The U.S. Census Bureau may use this information only for statistical purposes. We can assure you that your confidentiality is protected. Title 13 requires the Census Bureau to keep all information about you and all other respondents strictly confidential. Any Census Bureau employee who violates these provisions is subject to a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison sentence of up to five years, or both.

One place on here says not more than $100 to not more than $5,000 is incorrect and should be not less than $100 to not more than $5,000.

They should read their own publications..

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
BruteForce
I agree with your intent. But American is a Nationality not a Race. Not sure if you would get away with it.

Also note you are intentionally falsifying an official document. Would you be fined?

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you were born in the USA aren't you a native American? Seems to me you are.

BruteForce

BruteForce
I agree with your intent. But American is a Nationality not a Race. Not sure if you would get away with it.

Also note you are intentionally falsifying an official document. Would you be fined?

BC

Understood. I guess I'm just tired of "African-American", "Chinese-American", etc -v- Caucasian as Race indicators and/or monikers, especially since most of us (of varying skin colors) were born in the US.

SmokeyBare

The Newsletter from our mail forwarding company addressed the 2010 Census topic.

MY HOME ADDRESS

The article stated the following : According to the South Dakota regional census office, you Will be counted in the census according to where your mailing address and your physical address is located. Some people who do not physically live in a permanent residence will be visited in campgrounds by a census worker between March 22 and April 16. If you are not counted through your mailing address or in a campground, then you may call the South Dakota local office at " (605) 221 - 1210 South Dakota Phone Number " and be directed to a "Be Counted Site" where you may pick up a form.

I've not yet got our pre-notice in the mail package we just received.

Netem

The last time I filled one of these out I checked other and put German American for me and Irish American for the DW as I don't think we should all be lumped together if everyone else isn't. Never heard anything back.

porthole

Retired
The last time I filled one of these out I checked other and put German American for me and Irish American for the DE as I don't think we should all be lumped together if everyone else isn't. Never heard anything back.

We could do that here too - maybe even add the Scottish thing if I go back far enough.

But I've always considered it should be American German, American Italian, American Irish etc .

For me, I'm part of the human race and as an American at the top of the mountain.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been reading a number of Escapees Threads about the Census. It seems that the Census is not allowing the forms to be sent to those of us that use mail forwarding addresses. We will be accounted for in a campground or by filling out a form we can pick up locally. This means that we will not be accounted for in our districts.

I can see some of my family years from now trying to find me in the US Census. Good Luck. I say this because I am trying to keep the Geneology for my family and looking back to my ancesters is quite a task. Seeing how we are much more mobile than our ancestors it will be quite a task. My ancestry was largely in Crawford County Arkansas, then moved to around Shawnee Oklahoma. I only know that they came to Georgia from Ireland many years ago.

Will be intresting to look back and see what will happen.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And then some of us would just have to put "MONGREL" down if we're going to use ethnic backgrounds instead of race.