Toyota's Torment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Like many of us, I have been watching with interest the problems with Toyota. I have owned a Toyota truck and it was a nice truck that got great gas mileage. I have owned a Nissan SUV and my wife drove a Honda at one time. I currently drive a GMC truck and it has been probably the best truck I have ever owned. I recently ran across this article.

In the article, Roy Exum pointed out that Toyota, the world's largest automotive manufacturer has been ridiculed and debased after recalling 8.5 million automobiles due to a variety of acceleration, transmission and floor mat issues. During this same time, General Motors just recalled 1.3 million cars for steering problems. What? You didn't see that? Where were the TV cameras?

In the last 20 years, there have been 569 recalls of Toyota vehicles. At the same time, there have been 3,498 recalls of General Motors vehicles. Yes, there have also been 2,691 Ford recalls and 2,419 Chrysler recalls, too. Do those numbers tell you anything, particularly if you are a fortune-teller? I think the future is going to be very interesting when all the dust settles.

Toyota has been rumored to be developing a heavy duty pickup. If this comes to fruition, what do you think will happen to the Big 3?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I guess I have never seen or heard of a problem with another car that was killing people and the company was not fixing the problem. Yes Ford had a problem with Firestone Tires. I had a problem with Firestone tires long before the problem with Ford. I stopped using Firestone Tires.

I don't understand, and maybe someone can tell me, but why don't these people just turn off the ignition? If the problem is in the car's computer can the ignition be turned off?

BC

bill40

I just wonder why there has not been any attention paid to the GM steering problem(going on now) other than a small notice in the paper and a joke on Leno. Seems like the last time it was a big deal for a American company was the Ford Pinto. I guess it's all what makes news.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm a 2005 Prius owner. Toyota hasn't been very forthright in their approach to notifying their owners. I got the recall notice on the floor mats last October. They said they would get back to me soon to give me more information. I haven't heard from them since. I called my dealer yesterday to find out if they could give me any information. The service writer said my Prius model year had been removed from the recall list. For some reason I didn't believe him. I checked on the Toyota website and my VIN shows I am still included. I called the dealer back to speak to the Service Manager. Got voice mail. He never called me back. Sent an email to the General Manager. Got an email back late yesterday afternoon said the service manager would contact me, but they had not received any information from Toyota on the floor mat recall. Email from service manager basically said I could check to see if my car was included in the recall by putting my VIN in at the Toyota website. Duh - been there, done that. It's the lack of information and run around that is frustrating Toyota owners.

By the way - many of us do know that we can turn off the car if the accelerator sticks. HOWEVER, in the Hybrids it can take from 3 to 5 seconds for the engine to actually shut off. You can hit a pretty big tree in that time frame. Also, people have always been taught that if you turn off the engine you lose power steering so they are afraid to just cut off the ignition (a mindset thing). The Hybrids work off electric power steering so cutting off the ignition does not affect the power steering, but most owners aren't aware of that.

jbeletti

Gus,

Took my Prius into Toyota for regular maintenance yesterday and any recalls that may be applicable. Got it back today - no recall work done. This afternoon, I looked up my VIN and the Floor Mats recall will apply but the website said the fix is still being developed. That I can wait on. I guess I am not part of the run-away-accelerator recall. Until I am!

Jim

Paul_in_MN

jayc,

Am I missing something here??? Doesn't turning off the ignition on a Toyota also lock the steering?? I'd prefer to put the tranny in Neutral and then try to stop with the brakes while keeping the steering active. I really don't know if the shifting to N has been successful, or is the tranny somehow taken over by whatever is going wrong so that it does not actually disengage.

I do not believe that their floormat fix and the metal shim on the gas pedal are the real answers. Their electronics is suspect, and I think the real answer will be found in some malfunction of one of the car's computers.

I have never owned, driven, or anticipate owning any Toyota car or "truck". I will continue to support the manufacturers within the all American economy, as that is where my career income came from. (And yes, I am fully aware of the offshore sourcing of too many parts, and go out of my way to avoid buying them). Unfortunately (and I HOPE I AM WRONG!!) my daughter's family with 3 beautiful grandsons is betting their lives on the safety of their almost new Toyota.

Paul_in_MN

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
jayc,
Am I missing something here??? Doesn't turning off the ignition on a Toyota also lock the steering?? I'd prefer to put the tranny in Neutral and then try to stop with the brakes while keeping the steering active. I really don't know if the shifting to N has been successful, or is the tranny somehow taken over by whatever is going wrong so that it does not actually disengage.

I do not believe that their floormat fix and the metal shim on the gas pedal are the real answers. Their electronics is suspect, and I think the real answer will be found in some malfunction of one of the car's computers.
Paul_in_MN
I agree with Paul. Slip it onto neutral or put the clutch on the floor and use the brakes. I'd rather take a chance on smoking an engine as opposed to a serious crash or killing someone. It's sad to hear of Boat to 5er's dilema with dealers too. I guess RV dealers aren't the only one's giving their customers some level of grief.

currituck0209

I have owned 8 toyotas over the past years, as well as almost every other make. None of my toyotas have ever been in the shop for repairs, outside maint. I want comment on some of the others. Also if you turn the key off one click, the engine goes off & you can still steer, along with all acc. work . I would just about give anything to fine out who is behind all of the publicity. At this time, almost every type of vehicle has one or more under recall. Love them TOYOTAs

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just to clear up the GM recall issue. It was on national TV. But as usual everybody jumps on the band wagon and starts spreading false rumors. The GM recall is about loosing the power steering assist...you do not loose the steering. I need to state that I was a GM tech for over 45 years. They have had recalls ..yes..but I dont remember them having a car that would accelerate and could not shut it off. GM has had the fly-by-wire since 1999 and none of their cars have done this. The only incident that I can remember was the old pick up truck that got hit broadside at 60+ MPH. It caught fire and someone did die. Let me see, if I hit a Toyota broadside at 60+ MPH with my 2500 truck someone is going to die. Im sorry about being a little cras about this but I will keep buying my Chevy's. Pat and had 1 foreign car and it was the worse car we ever had. Got rid of it and bought a Suburban. It was 2 times the vehicle and got better gas mileage. IMHO, we will keep buying all this foreign crap and wonder where all our jobs went. Its our fault that we dont have any pride in what we produce. We as a people can build anything better than a foreign country can. We just don't want too. All we want is a big pay check and to do nothing for it. This not a rant...it is fact. Most of the people my age understand what I'm talking about. I was proud of what I did and made sure the vehicle was properly repaired before it left the dealership. Now you guys can beat me up about my post. "Its my story and I'm sticking to it" MY 2cts Bob:D

jnbhobe

Well Bob I was sitting here trying to figure out what to say and how to say it about this thread, But I don't think I could say it any better. We try to buy as many items as we can that are made in the U.S.A. Our cars and trucks are also made by companys who are headquatered in the U.S.A. My 2cts also. JON :D

truknutt

Committed Member
I just wonder why there has not been any attention paid to the GM steering problem(going on now) other than a small notice in the paper and a joke on Leno. Seems like the last time it was a big deal for a American company was the Ford Pinto. I guess it's all what makes news.

Could it be because it's Government Motors now? Ooooooo, conspiracy theorists where are you!!! Oh BTW, the last biggie for an American company had something to do with a Ford Explorer, and then with Ford Cruise Controls and then...well you get it, But I'm still a FORD Truck Guy!!

Netem

After reading these posts I can see why America is in the ditch. Lets keep supporting these other countries and when our roads fall apart, bridges fall down and the schools close maybe we can get a boat ride to one of their countries.

Tom of Ypsi

TORMENT??? come on now 69 years ago was torment by them to the good ole USofA. All of this foreign crap is their way of getting back at the US for a good old down home A** Whipping they took. Remember no matter where it is manufactured the money goes back to their country.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I made the decision to close this thread because it got away from the intent of our Forum. RV's! Politics not needed! I understand the feelings and frustrations but this isn't the place for it. Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.