Stringing 50 Amp Service on my lot - Electical help please.

gpshemi

I need some help. All my units have been 30 amps. This one I have coming is 50amps.

So I'm going to need to string new line opbviously, and change the outlet for our lot on the lake. It's about a 75' run from the box.

What am I looking to pick up exactly?

jbeletti

Here ya go:

FirefoxScreenSna&#112.jpg

Get one of these at most any dealer with a camping supply store in it.

While this will not get you 50 amps of power from a 30 amp circuit, it will be a "must have" item in your RV for when you run into other CGs that only have 30 amp receptacles.

To do a proper and permanent fix on your lot, you'd need a position in the electrical panel the feeds your lot for a 50 amp breaker, you'll need that 50 amp breaker, 4 conductor cable of the right size (4 ga most likely - others will give you that or a link to a table with it - here's one), a 50 amp RV receptacle that is mounted in an exterior grade box that can be mounted to a post and associated misc., connectors and such.

FirefoxScreenSna&#112.jpg

Jim

gpshemi

Yeah I planned on the converter for short term usage. However, that's not the right long term solution.

The 50amp socket on the pole I figured on already. The only thing really in question I guess was the breaker and the wire gauge.
I googled, but obviously didn't come up with the right links. I'll check yours out.

Thanks.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
gpshemi
If you just want to use the existing wiring, the adapter JimB shows above will work great. However if you want to use both A/C's in your trailer and such at home you will have to change out the plug, replace the wire and the breaker.
You need to see this web site http://www.myrv.us/electric/ . You will need to rerun a 4-cdr with ground #4 and make the connections as shown on the website. You will need to get a NEMA 14-50 Plug and an NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

Edit:
Corrected the plug and receptacle to 14-50 which is the correct ones.
Sorry. Copied the wrong data.

Last edited:

gpshemi

This is for a power pole on my lot. Not the house. So it will ALL need to change. I won't go into details on what's there now, but suffice to say it won't work for the Cyclone.
There's a chance I may run two A/C's at a time in the future, but regardless, I only want to do this once. So I'll plan for the max. The unit will already come with the 50amp plug. So I only need the receptacle for the box on the pole.

I got the legs down now. I can see that. Looks straight forward actually. Looks like 4awg is what I'll need for 100'. Do they make a 4 strand 4 awg (4/4awg)?
I'll prolly end up having to run 4 separate wires. Hmmm...

jbeletti

You can get stranded 4ga wire, 4-conductors all in one over-molded jacket. Any electrical supply house and nearly all building centers. I added a 30 amp RV circuit and outlet at my Mom's house and got all the stuff at Menards. The only building store in that small town.

Sounds like you have a plan :)

Jim

gpshemi

OK cool. I'll check home depot near me. Otherwise there is an electrical supply store down the road I believe.

I think I'm in good shape.

jddugan

The Nema 5-50 plug and receptacle listed above is not correct for this use. It is a 120 volt only combo. The Nema 14-50 combo is correct for your application for 50-amp RV use.

gpshemi

Yeah I caught that off the link too.
I was looking at a box I found on eBay for $42.
That's a GREAT find at Lowes for $24. Wow. Thanks.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Be sure to leave your 30 amp service in place if possible. After I ran a new 50 amp for the BH, I used the 30 amp for friends visiting with their campers. I also use an adapter to plug in a 120v cord or tools from the 30amp. Like Jim said you can buy 4 conductor 4 ga in a single jacket. I used buried cable and it was very expensive so measure carefully.

rideblue

PowerPost.JPG
This is what I installed. Takes the 50 amps you wire up and splits it into the appropriate amps according to the plug being used.

gpshemi

That's cool, but kinda rich. The cheapest 50 amp is $155.
I can get the box and receptacle at Lowes for $24. On my current post I just mounted it on a 4x4 and used plastic conduit up the side protects the wire. Looks fine and works great. The other 30 amp post is on the other side of the lot. I'll leave it there for visitors. Good thinking though.