Class 3 hitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

creeper

Is it possible to mount a class 3 hitch on the rear of a Bighorn 3400. I'm looking at the possibility of mounting a juice box generator on the rear.

Thanks.

Scott

Hitch

I am going to suggest that you look up all posts with the word "hitch" in them to see what others have done.

ST

dieselengineer

Charter Member
creeper
I have fab one out of channel Iron and tube steel. The only issue is that the distance between the frame rails is very long. A standard truck hitch is way to short. This long distance you will need to use some heavy iron. The one I have fab works good, have not had an issue with loads I have connected. However I try not to load heavy on the back and effect the balance.

creeper

Scott said:
I am going to suggest that you look up all posts with the word "hitch" in them to see what others have done.

ST

Not a great answer. What others are doing is not always right. Does the factory have a recommendation or not?

I don't want to void a warranty, because "others" are doing it. Lots of people ran into voided Ford 6.0 warranties because "others" were doing it.

GaryB

Agree with Creeper

I hate to stick my nose in, but I too am disappointed in the very "short" and abrupt answer by "ST". I know Scott is a very busy guy, but then again so are we (other than maybe the retired folks;) ). The point is - if he is the designated factory rep to answer questions on this website, then he owes the person asking the question a useful response. Many people (such as me) are lurking around behind the scenes and will make our decision about whether or not to buy Heartland based upon how helpful and concerned the factory appears to be.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
In Scotts' defense, there are alot of threads already on this subject and he is correct, a search for hitch will get you everything discussed on these forums and more. As I remember it, Heartland is not interested in providing a hitch as it would open up liability issues for them. I understand their stand but still have had our dealer add a hitch to our Bighorn for our bike rack. Works very well by the way.

Try this link //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=315&highlight=hitch

here's another //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=922&highlight=hitch

andanother //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=805&highlight=hitch

Scott

Hitches

First of all, I'm sorry if my answer seemed abrupt - it wasn't meant to be.
I'm just on here to ADD TO this forum - not necessary BE the forum.

Actually, you're right GARYB, it is very time consuming trying to keep up with the questions on this forum and I just wouldn't be able to do a very good job of it if I had to repeat the same discussions over and over.

THANK YOU!! Marc for your posting of the various threads where this has been discussed.

ST

creeper

Scott said:
First of all, I'm sorry if my answer seemed abrupt - it wasn't meant to be.
I'm just on here to ADD TO this forum - not necessary BE the forum.

Actually, you're right GARYB, it is very time consuming trying to keep up with the questions on this forum and I just wouldn't be able to do a very good job of it if I had to repeat the same discussions over and over.

THANK YOU!! Marc for your posting of the various threads where this has been discussed.

ST

Just posting whether the factory does or does not endorse it for warranty purposes would have been much shorter than what you posted.

Jeez......:rolleyes:

OR

Sorry, the factory doesn't recommend a hitch.

Which is shorter?

BTW, this is ask the FACTORY. So, you are this particular forum.

creeper

mrcomer said:
As I remember it, Heartland is not interested in providing a hitch as it would open up liability issues for them.

That would have been the answer I was looking for. Not for what "others" are doing.

jbeletti

Thread closed by Admin

This thread is turning a bit malicious for my taste. As such, I am closing it.

For anyone who would like it dig further into why certain responses are given one way vs. another etc., the number to the Heartland factory is 574.262.5992.

Thank you,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.