Bicycle Rack

Lazydaze

I'm having a small delima finding a way to carry 2 cruiser style bicycles on my Sundance. My first choice was purchasing folding bicycles and put them in the back of the truck. That worked for a short while but for longer rides was uncomfortable for my 6'2" frame. Guess I will sell those. Second choice was installing a front receiver on the F250. I decided that I didn't want to remove the fog lamps or look at the wabbeling bikes while driving down the road. UPS made out on that receiver purchase and return. I now have the Sundance at a welding/fabrication shop to re-inforce the the Sundance rear bumper and install the bike rack that I currently have. If this doesn't work out would you mind picking up my bicycles and rear bumper when you see them on the road.:)

Razorback

Lazydaze, I have the front receiver on my F250 and did not have to remove the foglights. I carry 4 bikes up front and the only mod I had to make was cut about 5 inches out of the vertical tube of the bike carrier so the bikes would mostly be lower than the hood. I notice very little vibration or movement. I did the behind the trailer route, and lost one bike, but didn't know it till the next fuel stop. Also damaged one in a steep driveway dip.

aatauses

Hi,
We also had those same discussions and decided to put our bikes on the roof of our Tv. We bought Yakama roof bike racks and have been very happy. We do not have to move them form RV to TV and back when we stop.
al

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
As a new parent, and non bike owner, I am sure we will head down this road soon enough.

Good info, thanks for sharing.

caissiel

I have been carrying my bikes on the back of the trailer for the past 15 years and over 100K miles and never had any issues. The rack can be removed and installed on the 2" truck receiver.

I have made the rack myself with 1.25" steel square tubing, and only hold the bikes in place with small bungies.

I had a 2" receiver on the front of the last 2500 GM and I felt to much vibration in the steering so I never realy used it there.

In addition I even carried an additional tandom bike on this rack for many years.

Attachments

• Bikes on Rack.jpg
    Bikes on Rack.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 69
  • Bikes on Rack Side.jpg
    Bikes on Rack Side.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Bike Held With Bungiies.jpg
    Bike Held With Bungiies.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 61

DXprowler

I've ordered a pin box bike rack from Top Pop Rails for my MTB and touring bike. http://www.toppoprails.com/ I made a pin box rack before but it won't fit this trailer. I've also installed a fork mount and made room to store my carbon fiber bike in the basement. Out of the weather, sight and mind! Love the basement storage but isn't really the garage? http://www.toppoprails.com/

buckeyebob

i have a curt brand hitch that straddles the rear bumper on my 2009 2900mk sundance.it has a 2 inch receiver and seems to be very solid.they cost around 55-70 dollars.350 hitch weight rating.it is attathed by 2 u bolts no holes!! buckeyebob