Ohio to Vancouver

argyll1st

OMG, what have I got myself into here !!!!!!
I thought it looked like a good idea to buy my new 5th wheel on the internet and while I was there I would buy a truck as well, So here goes, we fly into Springfiel MO and collect our F350 and head 600 miles north and collect our new sundance from Sylvania OH, then the fun begins, I need to get the whole rig to vancouver BC, when your sitting at home in Scotland it only looks like a couple of thousand miles :(
but in actual fact it nearer 3K. How would you guys recomend crossing to the west coast ? up to Winnipeg and over to calgary or head sraight across to Seattle and up into Canada ? This is a bit of a vacation so it would be nice to see some stuff one route. Thanks all

jimtoo

All I can say is "YOU ARE ONE BRAVE PERSON". To come to the forum, buy a vehicle and toy hauler, and make all the arrangements on the internet or phone. Then fly over here and pickup your new toys and still need to add all the necessary things to be able to camp and use the unit and then drive to another country some 3000 miles. Yep... you are some kind of person that has faith in other people to stand by their word.

I hope everything goes great for you and you don't hit any bumps in the road on your adventure. If you ever get to Texas, be sure and look us up. Also any chance you can make the Heartland National Rally in July in Tennessee? Jim B is putting a great rally together and you can meet lots of other Heartland owners and have a great time.

Jim M

argyll1st

Ah yes I have heard that before, although when most people say brave they normaly mean "Stupid" I beleave that life is an adventure and the easy thing dont give you any challenges, the really tough stuff is the seceret to keep pushing yourself and keeping you young at heart, As I say to the wife " Whatever doesnt kill you makes you stronger" and my last words on gods green earth may be "Whats the worst that could happen"........................................Please dont send any sugestions. We are only going to be on your side of the pond for 4 weeks this year and then the rig will be packed away in storage until 2011, the wife is expecting our first child in September so there will be no more trans-atlantic flying this year after this trip but we should make a rally sometime next season

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I know the guy you are getting the F-350 from and he should know the highways west. Maybe check with him for some ideas.
That said, the U.S. has so much to see. I would recomend I-90 west and take in the Black Hills area of South Dakota and Yellowstone Nationl Park in Wyoming.
I don't know what time of year you will be here or what your likes are, but the Rocky Mountain area is awsome.

Peace
Dave

argyll1st

Our problem will be weather, We arrive next wednesday so I think Yellowstone is snowed in ? Its still pretty much winter there right ? I am glad I bought the FX4 package now.

Dave012

Weather forecast for the next week looks pretty good for the Cdn prairies (MB, SK, and AB). When I say good, I mean it should be above freezing during the day, but below 0 degrees celcius at night. Not exactly great in a non-winterized unit. Who knows what the following week could be like, but it wouldn't be much fun pulling a 5th wheel through a snow storm. March is unpredictable.

The prairies can get a bit tiring when you're driving a long distance. Flat land, more flat land, river valley, flat land, flat land, see a coyote or a deer, more flat land. Can also be absolutely beautiful. There may be a warmer way through the US, although from other threads, even Texas has been cold.

DXprowler

Go west to the Badlands in SD, then the Black Hills, then over to Cody and into Yellowstone then north to Fairmount Hot Springs, then a bit east to Banff and Lake Louise, back west to Revelstoke and onto Vancouver. The RV route of a lifetime!

Just noticed the time of your trip... yes you will be snowed in! Best to go south!

Two Hands

We have friends who were in Yellowstone in May of last year and there was still lots of snow on the ground. You may want to consider taking a southern route which should include camping at the Grand Canyon. It is beautiful any time of the year, and especially in the spring. Make your way over to Yosemite, the most beautiful place on earth, then head north on the 99 till you hit Interstate 5 which will take you right to Vancouver. Welcome the the United States!

argyll1st

Ok guys , we did the bad lands, wall drug, rushmore , devils tower, now we are in Gillete and heading west on the I90, only 1200 miles to Vancouver Wow Hoo, 30 at night so its not been too cold ..yet !

argyll1st

OK boys and girls you can all un-cross your fingers WE MADE IT we got all the way to Vancouver Island with no major drama, appart from a puncture & overheating problem in Montana but for a 7 day 3600mile trip I think that the Ford F350 did herself proud, I think we managed 8.8MPG on the indash lie-o-meter and by the time we hit the Island I was very pleased to see the end of our marathon gas stop trips (Twice a day) we have pitched up at the Sealbay RV park up in the Comox valley and its raining real & I mean real hard ...................................