------------------------------
  • Number of sites held: 20
  • Site fee: $(see below) per night.
  • Club Member Event fee: $(see below) Per Person
  • Potluck: Yes
  • Potluck date: 8/28/2010
  • Potluck time: 6pm

• Event Leader: Hudson(click to contact)
Additional Info:
The Virginia Chapter will hold their annual rally for 2010 in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley

THE CAMPGROUND IS SMALL (BUT THE SITES ARE LARGE) SO THE RALLY WILL BE LIMITED TO 20 RIGS

The "Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA" is the kind of campground where you truly feel like you are "camping." No two sites are alike. All the sites are close enough to feel like we are together as a group, but large enough that everyone quite clearly has a camp site all to themselves. The campground itself is nestled deep within the forest canopy at the base of the mountains. The altitude and the shade will make this a cool retreat from the August heat. (The owner said she kept her windows open all summer long last year -- day and night -- with no need for A/C). I am hoping to spend the weekend with the windows open. Deer wander through the property even in the daytime. I personally toured all three rally location candidates before choosing this KOA and without a doubt, this campground will be a truly special and intimate place to have our chapter rally.

Campground Amenities (free unless marked "$"):
Heated swimming pool (no lifeguard), mini golf, pool table, horseshoes, playground, ping pong, hiking trails into the G.W. National Forest, fishing pond, hay rides ($?), propane ($)

All sites have fire ring/pits.
Golf carts are not allowed (except for people with handicapped license plates on their tow vehicle -- no hang tags/stickers/decals).

Nearby Attractions:
Caverns (several), historic sites and battlefields, antique shops, Skyline Drive, horseback riding, indoor water park.

Cost:

• $35.55 for 30 Amp Back In [3 left]
  • [SOLD OUT!] $37.58 for 30 Amp Pull Thru
  • $40.50 for 50 Amp Pull Thru [2 left]
All prices are for full hookups (W/E/S -- no cable/TV) for up to two people (children under 12 are free). "Additional persons 12 years and older are an additional $5 per person per night." Prices are per night and do not include tax.

Television Junkies:
There is no cable TV, only two TV stations in range (PBS and ABC), and satellite reception looked improbable. Plan to spend this weekend with your fellow rally-goers, your kids, your spouse, and/or your pets rather than with your TV. Once you see this CG you will forget all about the boob tube anyway.

Rally Registration:
Registration is now open to all owners of Heartland products, including folks who are not members of the HOC. If you aren't a member of the HOC, then leave "HOC#" blank (even though it says required).

To register, fill out the reservation form (attached, below) and email or PM it to me and mail me a $10 deposit. I just realized I shouldn't put my mailing address, etc. in this announcement, so when you email or PM me, I'll send the address to you.
Please do not book a rally site directly through the campground. This is the best way to try to make sure you get the best camp site possible and with far less likelihood of losing your deposit or final payment. The registration form is available in PDF or MS-WORD (.doc) format. You only need to choose one version, whichever one works best for you. The PDF is better for printing or if you don't have MS-WORD.

Register as early as you can. There is a limited number of each kind of site. If the rally fills up early, we can add more if the CG still has sites available.

New: you can stay "extra" nights before or after the rally for the rally rate. Put this in the "Special Requests" section of the form. There's no guarantee you won't need to move, but that's mostly affected by how early you sign up.

Rally Theme:
How many of you came to my first rally ever (Camp Hatteras, 2009)? ... raise your hands ... Okay, so you folks know that if I have themed rally, it will be a wing-ding that will become my full-time job for two months in advance and will be your full-time job for the entire weekend. I had a blast and so did most everyone else (some people thought it was too much work and they are not wrong for feeling that way). As for this rally ...

The theme for this rally is "camping" ... you need to bring your RV, a desire to meet people, and a love of nature. Bring wine, beer, cigars, steaks, marshmallows, and your camera if you've got 'em. If your idea of "camping" is grilling 2" thick sirloins over your camp fire, then that's part of the theme. If camping is your excuse to to get tanked up on beer and smoke cigarettes while jawing about the government, then that's part of the theme. If you go camping to spend all day hiking through the forest and ride your bike, then you're part of this theme too. Like to spend an afternoon around the picnic table as people come and go and kids ride by on bikes? Then welcome to the "camping" themed rally. About the only thing that isn't part of this theme is music/noise/hollering after 10pm.

Meals & Pot Lucks:
In keeping with the theme, pot lucks will be, umm, well, "pot luck." Bring what you want to share. There will be a pot luck dinner for sure, maybe two if people want. And my favorite breakfasts of all are pot luck and since I only get those at rallies, I'm calling a pot luck breakfast on Saturday morning for sure.

The campground offers a pancake breakfast on Sunday mornings in the pavilion. More about that later.

This rally happens the weekend before Labor Day weekend. Bet you'll remember it now. ;)

Who's Signed Up (So Far):

1. As of 8/19/2010 with 4 slots still open:
  2. Hudson & Tracy Hendren VA ['11 CY 3950 H.D.]
  3. Gus & Debra Funderburg VA ['09 SD 2900MK]
  4. Roger & Kelly Beasley VA ['09 CY 3912]
  5. John & Debra Goddard WV ['08 BH 3670RL]
  6. Eric & Dorothy van Opstal VA ['09 SD 2900MK]
  7. Ken & Marj Gallimore NC ['09 NT 28BHS]
  8. John & Nancy Latham VA ['11 NT 27RBS]
  9. Paul & Elaine Nelson VA ['08 BH 3670RL]
  10. Eric & Hallie Grubaugh NC ['09 SD 3200ES]
  11. John & Deb Bylinski NJ ['09 BH 3055RL]
  12. Mark & Lucia Burton MD ['09 LM Oakmont]
  13. Jim & Harriet Dahlgren ['09 SD 3300SK]
  14. Dwight Edwards & Leslie Whitener ['11 SD MKS2900]
  15. Roger & Nancy Bloom ['10 NT 21FBS]
  16. Mike & Ann Walker ['09 BC 3250TS]
  17. John & Mary Ann Proto ['11 GS 32RE]
  18. Don & Cindy Massengill
  19. Jim & Cheryl Horst

Attachments

• Rally Registrati&#111.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 64
  • VA2010_regform.doc
    16 KB · Views: 50
  • Agenda.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Woo-Hoo! As Darrel Waltrip (and his other brother Darrel) would say, "Let's Go Camping Boys!"

Last edited:

Hudson

Okay, I put the attachment on that I forgot the first time. At Gus' suggestion I also put an MS-WORD version of the form. (I originally built a beautiful PDF Form using OpenOffice ... but when I actually posted the PDF file I was in Windows and foolishly let MS-WORD touch the file ... Apparently MS-WORD does not do PDF Forms. I was rather surprised to see how ugly it turned out when I examined the actual posted PDF file. So the ugly version is also the .doc file too. And I also found out that the regular (free) PDF reader apparently doesn't allow you to "save" a filled in form, you can only print it. So that's life. I was really looking forward to having the PDF Forms data get automatically sucked into my spreadsheet but I will get by. <sniff>)

And I deleted the other thread since I couldn't think of a good reason to have two threads. In the "other thread" I told everyone I had just posted the rally announcement but didn't know where it would turn up on the forum. Well it turned up right here where it belonged anyway. I also apologized in that other thread about taking this long to post the announcement. My excuse was that I was doing my taxes (all told we're talking more than 50 pages just for the returns themselves so it actually is a bigger deal than it sounds). My other excuse is that I try not to even think about anything RV-related as long as the rig is hopelessly winterized ... it's too frustrating ... and when I come back to the forum I find a new rev of the bbs software. So anyway, boo hoo hoo, right? Fuggetaboutit, I'm getting a new season of RVing started now!

Last edited:

happycampernc

Love the theme. Couldn't get any better than that one. I've been ready to go camping since Jan. the weather wasn't making it possible.

camperjohn08

Nancy and I want to attend this event... BUT I have one question... Can we arrive early and leave after the event, and still get these rates???? Since it's a good distance from our house, we would like to stay there at least 4 to 5 days.. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We need to know in the next couple of days SO.. we can decide on this event..
Thanks
John & Nancy

Hudson

Nancy and I want to attend this event... BUT I have one question... Can we arrive early and leave after the event, and still get these rates???? Since it's a good distance from our house, we would like to stay there at least 4 to 5 days.. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We need to know in the next couple of days SO.. we can decide on this event..
Thanks
John & Nancy

I assumed people would only want to make it a weekend since it was so close to Labor Day. I'm checking with the KOA about this. I want to make sure nobody has to change sites.

It's taking a little longer because I've got a cold right now and can't talk on the phone. (I haven't been online for 3 days ... if you know me, you know that means I don't feel too good.) I will let you know as soon as I know.

In the mean time, if you want to secure your position on the list, just put in your reg form and under "special requests" put what extra days you want and indicate if its your "preference" or a "requirement". If it's a "requirement" then don't send your check in right away, until after I get a final deal worked out with the KOA and announce that here.

Hudson

Okay, as I expected, the KOA is willing to extend the rally rate for a "reasonable" number of extra nights to people who are also staying both of the "official" rally nights. KOA said they cannot guarantee that nobody will have to move, but I'm guessing we can probably work it all out. The most important thing is to be highest on the sign-up list as possible. As far as money goes, we'll stick with the $10 deposit even if you have extra nights, and you'll pay your entire balance for all your nights when you pay your rally nights final balance. Nice and easy.

So, therefore, if you want to arrive early or stay late please write that under "Special Requests." Let me know which nights you want to add. If you're flexible about which extra nights, mention that. If you're flexible or inflexible about wanting to move sites, put that down. If your extra nights are really important to you or are just a whimsy, mention that. Remember, it's not a computer reading these things (like it was for Hatteras) ... it's just me and I'll email you if I don't understand what you want.

camperjohn08

Nancy and I are planning to attend. Our dates as requested are as follows: Arrive 25 August (Wed) and depart 30 August (Monday). Hopefully everything will work out and we won't have to move from one space to another.. We also prefer a 30 amp pull thru.. I kinda don't like backing-up if I don't have to. And oh yes, the check is in the mail. : o ))
John & Nancy Latham

Hudson

Now open to all HOC members

The HOC Virginia Chapter 2010 rally is now open to all HOC members from all chapters and states.

We have 8 rigs signed up so far and two more rigs are in the process of signing up so we're halfway there!

Hudson

This rally is now open to all Heartland owners

The rally is now open to all owners of Heartland products. I just updated the announcement at the top of this thread.

If you aren't a member of the Heartland Owners Club (HOC), then leave the HOC# blank. (The form says HOC# is required because it was required for early registration. Now it is only required *if you are a member*. If you aren't a member, it isn't required.)

Hudson

List of rally attendees

I'm going to amend the announcement to post the names of people who are signed up for the rally already. If you do not want your name posted, email me or PM me and I'll leave your name off (or use your forum name if that's okay instead).

Re: List of rally attendees

I officially sent my form to Hudson. John and I will be attending the Virginia Rally. I can't wait. By the way, can I please sit next to Eric during the Rally-holics meeting?

Re: List of rally attendees

I already forwarded this message to Hudson, But for everyone else, we sold our 21FBS and now have a North Trail 27RBS being built by Heartland.. Hopefully we will have it in plenty of time for the Rally in August.. We decided to get a larger unit, while we can still enjoy it and pay for it..
See you all at the Rally..
John & Nancy Latham

Guess where I am?

Sorry if I haven't been responsive this week (or next week).

I am right at this moment in Elkhart, IN
... after having A.J. give us a tour of the factory yesterday
... and after spending the last two days in Goshen, IN
... at Lippert Components and at the TrailAir Service Center
... getting a TrailAir TriGlide Air Ride pin box
... and Lippert's wet bolts
... and TrailAir's Center Point suspension
... and TrailAir's Level Up (III) system
... installed on my brand new
2011 Cyclone 3950 HD Edition Toy Hauler

The trailer is fantastic! The people at Heartland are great and it is amazing to watch the toy haulers roll off the line at a rate of about ten toy haulers each day.

The team at the TrailAir Service Center is absolutely stellar ... the highest form of craftsmen at getting the job done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.