Diesel add-ons

rbloom

So, we've got a 2008 RAM 2500 CTD - what is the most worthwhile modification we can do to the truck without voiding the warranty? Chips, Exhaust?? Want to increase performance and MPG but don't want to run afoul of the warranty.

truknutt

Committed Member
IMO the best thing you can do is help that Cummins breathe so look at intakes and exhausts first.

Rrloren

Improved air intake helps but you probably won't notice any difference other than a bit of turbo spoolup. You already have a 4" exhaust which is good for considerably more HP than the 6.7 L puts out so IMO bigger exhaust is a waste of money. As stated above , any chip,ie programmer technically voids your warranty unless you have a really friendly Dealer.
One way to improve MPG is to unplug the EGR valve. Many Dodge's run just fine with the EGR unplugged and MPG's will improve 2 to 3 mpg. Unplug only when engine is off. If you need to plug back in , also make sure engine is off.
You will get a check engine light when unplugged. I use an Edge Insight which allows me to erase the code on startup if I want to.

BruteForce

Remove the baffle in the intake tube (large plastic just before the turbo), a tuner (H&S, Edge, etc) will help as well - but may leave footprints for the dealer.

I would not recommend disconnecting the EGR. Everyone that I know that's done this gains 1-2mpg, but it ultimately causes the EGR valve to fail (probably because its constantly being unplugged/plugged) and will still not prevent soot build-up. Additionally, it will prevent the regeneration process from completing successfully because it can't build up enough heat, which will then result in a fouled turbo.

In my (not expert) opinion, the air intake is plenty sufficient as it stands stock and I wouldn't recommend the expense of a K&N. I've read that the K&N filters are actually worse (allow more particulates) for your Diesel than the stock filter.

Riverman

What could you possibly be doing with this truck that requires more horsepower??!
Adding a chip voids the warranty...the saying goes "You have to pay to play".
Need more MPG....ease up on the pedal on the right.

beardedone

Beardedone
Remove the baffle in the intake tube (large plastic just before the turbo), a tuner (H&S, Edge, etc) will help as well - but may leave footprints for the dealer.

I would not recommend disconnecting the EGR. Everyone that I know that's done this gains 1-2mpg, but it ultimately causes the EGR valve to fail (probably because its constantly being unplugged/plugged) and will still not prevent soot build-up. Additionally, it will prevent the regeneration process from completing successfully because it can't build up enough heat, which will then result in a fouled turbo.

In my (not expert) opinion, the air intake is plenty sufficient as it stands stock and I wouldn't recommend the expense of a K&N. I've read that the K&N filters are actually worse (allow more particulates) for your Diesel than the stock filter.

I have not noticed any issue with regeneration if unplugged, in fact it regens a little less frequently. I have 60,000 km on it and never had a moments trouble. I would be very interested if anyone has seen any real issues as this is still an experiment and others may have more kliks on their truck than I do

Rrloren

Mine has been unplugged for 2 years and roughly 30000 miles with no problems at all. I have seen 2- 3 mpg improvement hand calculated.
My understanding is that some trucks don't run well unplugged depending on the ECM flash they have. Mine is supposed to have the latest flash that was issued for 2007 models. If this trick causes a problem I should have seen it by now.

rbloom

Thanks for all the input - new to diesels, towing and RV'ing - based on what I hear I think I'll just stick with what came standard on the truck.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Before you start changing things, especially the intake, you might want to read this

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
and here is the resulting thread
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/13313-Interesting-reading-draw-your-own-conclusions?highlight=

This was D/Max specific however you can probably find info on tests for your specific truck.

Unless you are going to use your truck (or any vechicle) for only one specific use, you might want to really weigh the advatages and disadvatages to any mod. There is a reason why they are designed the way they are. No matter what the application, one thing engineers have to build into any component is durability. In other words, the components are designed for minimal failure during a warranty period.

That may mean a compromise on power, mpg, rpm limits etc. but it is all done to protect the engine. Car manufacturers all would love to boast having the biggest baddest most monster truck out there, but they have to design and build them to conform to acceptable warranty failure rates, EPA standards, Cafe and a host of imposed guide lines. And then they have to please the customer.

That is not to say that there are not products that won't increase your performance, but it will be at some price down the road.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well said Alan. As to the K&N filters, all the tests show that they are the worst for keeping out dirt, small birds and such. If GM, Ford and Dodge wanted them in there, they would be in there. As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Still haven't yet figured out how people get more fuel mileage by dumping more fuel into the engine. Maybe it's one of those things that goes "bump" in the night. MHO

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Here is what I have done to my 2000 F250 7.3PSD. All work has been done by a master mechanic and all items have been very researched prior to installation

1. Diablo 45 HP chip...enough to help but not too much to hurt
2. Oversized Transmission Cooler (2 of them)
3. 4 inch exhaust system from the turbo back
4. Donaldson extreme air filter system
5. r4100 SUPER transmission (titanium parts/built in CA)
6. engine oil bypass system
7. zirt fittings on all u joints
8. Warn hubs
9. 3 guage stack (pyro/boost/trans temp)
10. all synthetic oils (I mean ALL)
11. sacrificial diode in cooler system
12. cooling system filter unit
13. Firestone Air bags
14. Super sways installed on the overload springs
15. Class V hitch (underbody)
16. 10 PLY tread and 8 ply sidewall TOYO tires

Nothing purchased or installed simply because! It was all researched prior................hope this helps

DW_Gray

why mess with a good thing?????????????

Understandable. But some like to tinker with there toys or work horses. That's been going on for years. I used too before all this new stuff out now. I debated about getting an extended warranty because that would limit what I could do to my truck. I decided on the extended warranty. I figured if I really wanted more power I'd buy and Freightliner. But this is more about MPGs. We all have our choices and budgets. So let those who like to improve their TVs do so without putting them down.

Rumaco, good job! BTW, how are those TOYO tires? I'm going to have to start shopping for new tires soon.

DW_Gray

Before you start changing things, especially the intake, you might want to read this

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
and here is the resulting thread
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/13313-Interesting-reading-draw-your-own-conclusions?highlight=

Thanks for posting this. Just about every Dodge mechanic across the country has told me I should remove the K&N. The bad thing is my OEM system is in storage in CA.