Residential style deadbolts?

wyleyrabbit

The farm where we keep our Bighorn when we're not using it has suffered several break-ins lately, and while we've been lucky so far, I wonder if I couldn't improve our security. Has anyone added a residential style deadbolt to their trailer? Are they generally compatible, or would they need to be modified to work?

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Have been looking for the same thing, but i believe residential deadbolts wil not work on a thinner rv door. I did see a digital one posted here somewhere with a link. they were expensive but my old rv was broken into in the fall and besides the aggravation the total bill was over $4400. Doesn't seem so expensive in those terms. they aren't as much as my deductible

Northern Virginia
I have installed a lot of locks over my years in construction. You can buy a dead bolt for a thinner than standard door (1 3/4). You may have to go to a lock shop to get the correct dead bolt (I am not sure the home stores would have one). These types of deadbolt locks are used at restaurants to secure alcohol in cabinets, etc. Measure the door thickness and call a lock shop. They can get you the correct deadbolt.

As an aside, I would ONLY get an outside key, inside thumb turn lock. In the event of a fire, at night, in the dark and smoke, you could be looking death in the face if you needed to have a key to open the deadbolt from the inside.

Cheers- John

wyleyrabbit

John,

Agreed. I would never want the "outside key, inside key" type lock for safety reasons alone.

I wonder if anyone here has installed an additional deadbolt. Anyone?

Chris

RoadJunkie

I was camped next to a guy who worked nights, sand wanted to add some security for his wife while he was gone, so he added a residential deadbolt to his door. His only comment installation comment was related to the fact that rv doors were not solid core and required large washers to keep the door from collapsing when tightening the lock. The install looked pretty good.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I found out that my 09 3670 has a bump key lock. I had a key made at an ACE harware store and they used the wrong blank, it was too long, I went to unlock the door and the cylinder fell in my hand. I got a new key cut at a locksmith and took the bad key back to Ace for a refund.

wyleyrabbit

If you are REALLY worried about physical security, ask the locksmith if the residential deadbolt lock you are getting is "Bump Key Resistant". This simple technology is widely broadcast on the internet (See: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bump+keys&search_type=&aq=0&oq=bump+key ). The petty thieves and druggies have learned about them.

Yep I know about this. I changed out all of the locks on our house a couple of years ago. The Weiser Qwikset (sp?) locks are reasonably priced and bump proof.

Chris

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Interesting thread. I looked up the Kwikset SmartKey locks, which are bump-proof (according to their website) and drill resistant. Not an overly expensive proposition to upgrade the locksets on our house. As for installing a residential style (or the specialty type mentioned) deadbolt on a 5'er, photos and info please.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
More locks are near useless because a hand wrapped in a tee shirt can bust the thin door window, easy to reach in and unlock the door. I replaced the door window glass with 1/4" plexi-glass and feel somewhat safer.

wdk450

I would also recommend locking the steps up to make access to the lock/window difficult.

More locks are near useless because a hand wrapped in a tee shirt can bust the thin door window, easy to reach in and unlock the door. I replaced the door window glass with 1/4" plexi-glass and feel somewhat safer.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You are 100% correct.....if that is your dog you are one lucky man. This was our deadbolt that passed away 5 months ago.

Attachments

• P8300003..jpg
    P8300003..jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PICT0011..jpg
    PICT0011..jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 8
  • dallasFront..jpg
    dallasFront..jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 8

Northern Virginia
That's actually a painting. Sorry to hear about you GSD. He was beautiful. We lost our 1st Shepherd 3 years ago and now Heidi is almost 10.

German Shepherds are about the most amazing dogs in world. They give you such a sense of protection. When you have a GSD, you don't worry about burglars. Instead, you smile when you think of the look on an intruders face if a burglar were to ever break in.:)

wyleyrabbit

Beautiful dogs. Westxsrt10, very sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our lab/rottie cross about 16 months ago, and while we have a new dog, we still miss her. Yes, they would help prevent a break-in, but it's unlikely you'd want to leave your dog in the trailer while it's in storage for weeks at a time.

wyleyrabbit

Does anyone know what the door material is? My guess is that the door is styrofoam, sandwiched between fiberglass and metal.

Also, as I plan this project, any thoughts about how high to make the deadbolt? My initial thoughts would be to make it low on the door so that I wouldn't have to stand on the steps to open it; this would have the added security benefit of preventing someone from breaking the door's window and reaching in and opening the lock.

Chris

2010augusta

If you want to know about the door construction, just take the window out of the door. it comes out with only a few screws. From what I remember from put our stained-glass window in is the the door is just as you thought. Fiberglass wall board, Styrofoam, Al metal interior panel. I don't think I would trust the door to be strong enough to hold a dead bolt in place if some one was trying to get in.

I don't think that all the locks you could mount will ever keep someone out that really wants in. there is always a weak spot, be it a window or a door, if they really want in your trailer they will get in.

On I side note: With my Jeep, during the spring and summer I always had a either no top or just the vinyl top on it. during this time I NEVER locked a door. I have seen many jeeps with knife slits in the windows because some one wanted in, so they just cut a window. I had mound several steel lock boxes to the floor and roll-cage and kept them locked with with all the good stuff in them. I know of at least two times that the jeep was "entered" and nothing was removed or damaged, just the doors opened and not shut. I preferred them to just come in and take a look around, and not make it hard for them to get in.