Does Heartland Keep There Word ?

highrail

We all have read about tire problems on Heartland and other coaches. When I bought mine I thought I might have to change tires to a better grade. While looking at Heartlands online and written literature I found the following. Bighorns come with E rated 16 in. tires except 36 ft. and above get G rated tires. Wounderful I thought so I called Heartland. After three pass ons I talked to Randy in customer service. He said he would look into it and get back to me. Four days later on Aug. 17th I called him back. Randy told me my G rated tires were on the way! Boy did I feel good, told Randy it was a pleasure doing business with a company that kept its word. The following FridayAug 25, still no tires so I called to get a POD shipping number. Randy said he would check into it and call me back that day. Now its Monday Aug. 28th no call so I called Randy. Guess what folks he acts like he doesn't know what I'm talking about and says my dealer will have to order tires he has nothing to do with any parts. Also Heartland can change anything at any time without recourse. I ordered my 3400RL by looking at the literature and put down a deposit then paid for it on delivery. If I had refused delivery I would have lost my deposit. I guess if it had one axle and 13 in tires then too bad for me.
Folks if they can do this to me thay can do anything to any one of you. A company will not stay in business very long pulling things like this on its customers. Right to change anytime they want is a cover all. Bottom line here is a man told me some thing then for what ever reason couldn't do it so he just says he didn't remember telling me. He remembered every thing else about our conversation just forgot about Aug. 17th when he said they are on the way!
Do I still like my Bighorn, yes I do. Can I afford G rated tires, yes I can. Do I feel like a sucker, you bet I do that hollow feeling deep in your gut. I keep my word and I bet you all do too, does Heartland keep there word?
Let me know what you think about this, may make me feel better.

Tom in TN.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Highrail
If you have a 3400RL, the axles are 6000 lb rated. Therefore, the tires are E rated and the rims are 80 psi rated. The G rated tires are only standard on the 7000 lb rated axle, 110 psi rims models. I am not understanding why you think the factory must send you G rated tires? I must be missing something.

Wild Wind

People should study old posts before wasting peoples time.

I agree with Dieselengineer. If you and others would do a lillte research first, people would find that many of their problems or questions have already been covered many, many times before, that is why the "Search" heading is at the top of the Forum in the blue bar. Being a retired vocational shop teacher for nearly 20 years, I do beleve in not answering questions directly, but teaching students to learn to use and fine the correct references and and answers on their own.
I don't mean to pick on you, but you did waste Randy's time.
Dieselengineer, a few others, and I have upgraded to Michelin tires (read the posts).
As you have found trying to deal with Heartland's Randy, you got nowhere fast. You are very true in what you said about dealing with Randy, I too , have had the same responses since purchasing our Heartache Trailer last Oct., 05. Read some of my posts (esspecially, under "Floor Covering Problems", "crying in our beer"), and other people's posts. I do hope that you have a good Dealer, good luck.

highrail

Because they gave there word

If you look at heartlands advertisements you will see that they say any coach over 36 ft get G rated tires. If you say something in your ad you should keep your word. The E rated tires will carry the 3400RL alright but with litte or nothing in reserve. Don't know about you but I like a little extra safty when I drive, not just the bare minimum.
Now that we all have looked at and posted about all the tire failures we can be held libel right along with the tire makers for accidents caused by tire blow outs. Don't think it can happen to you, read RV. Net post about the man pulling a trailer over his GVWR. His insurance company dropped him and he lost everything. If I know my coach is right on the edge and the chinese tires have a record of blow outs I could be held libel. If on the other hand I went the extra mile and got the best tire I could get I should be alright.
Bottom line HEARTLAND PROMISED THEM TO ME, RANDY SAID THEY WERE SHIPPED AND THEN THEY BACKED OUT this equals there word is no good. My bottom line is I am going to spend my money and put the tires on my coach Heartland advertised they were putting on. If our coachs came with a tiny 4 cubic refrigerator instead of the 10 cubic foot they advertised bet we would cry bloody murder.

Tom in TN

Scott

Tires

This is Scott - I am going to get with our customer service department to see exactly why someone would promise you tires that do not come on your coach. I'm sorry that you understood your coach was to have different tires, but in fact, no, they don't. Our written, technical specifications are very clear regarding which coaches get which axles and tires. As stated above, only the 7,000 lb. axles get the larger tires. I'm sure the issue here is the terminology people use for our different models (i.e. 3600RL is often referred to as a "36 footer" even though it is actually longer hitch to ladder; while the 3400 is often called a "34 foot model" when it is actually longer hitch to ladder). That is why we publish our technical specifications.
But just because there was a mistake in understanding the terminology, and we even had a person in our company who was also obviously confused by the terminology of the model designations - it does not overrule the fact that Heartland has written technical specifications for all of our models which clearly states that your model (3400) comes with 6,000 lb. axles and E rated tires.
People make mistakes, that happens, and I apologize that you are feeling like you have been a "victim" of someone misleading you. As others will attest, that is not what Heartland is all about.
I know Randy, as many of you do, and while he speaks to dozens of customers every day, he does a good job for us and rarely makes such a mistake. I can only speculate that he must have had a couple of tires going out to someone else and mistakenly told you that they were coming. Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding and look for a communication from Randy himself (either via PM or this thread).
ST

D

David

Tires

This is David, over the customer service department of Heartland RV. Scott brought this to my attention this morning so I went out and read this thread and started looking into the situation.
We make every effort to help both our owners and dealers when they contact us for information on products. The disclaimer Tom (highrail) is referring to is there because our products (RV’S) do change constantly as we get feedback from owners, dealers and even our own employee’s as we build the product. Also the way a question is worded can often get a different response than what should be given. Do we make mistakes yes we do and try to correct those as best we can. I have spoken to all my warranty representatives as well as my parts people, who also spoke to Tom when he called to get a tracking #. I also called the selling dealer to see if any communication was made to them, and there was not. Randy’s call log does not show the original call; this does not mean it did not happen.
All that to the side because I am not looking to argue the “he said or she said” a mistake was made. Tom I apologize for any miss communication or miss understanding that might have come out of the parts and warranty department. Receiving 160 calls a day in the department many times we might not remember every call that we have taken, not an excuse just reality.
The bottom line is that our specifications show that a 3400RL would get E rated tires; because the GVWR is 14000 pounds with about a 2000 pound hitch weight and 6000 pound axles and is almost 37’ long. So based on the published specifications and that it is what we would follow in a warranty situation. I also would not have approved replacing the E rated with the G rated if I would have been called.
Again I apologize for any miss information or communication.

David

highrail

Thanks Scott

Thank you for getting back to me Scott, I know you are a busy person. Being new to the Fifthwheel world I did read all your specs on the 3400RL haveing only seen a 3055 here in TN. I saw were the 3400RL got 6000 lb axles and 235/85R16E tires. I then went on to read under TIRES & AXLES, Heavy-Duty E rated 16" Tires(G-Rated on 36' and above. That was why I called Randy to see which was right. Of course you know the rest except when Randy told me my G tires were on the way I ask him if he wanted me to ship the E tires back to Heartland. He told me just to keep them. Too much clear conversation between us to have a misunderstanding.
As to 36' meaning 3600 or larger the math symbol ' has stood for feet and " has stood for inchs for several hundred years in America. Since I couldn't tell which one was correct I ask Randy. Randy said they were on the way and I am still waiting.
Thank You for your help in this matter.

Tom in TN