Directv vs Dish...

beasleyrl

I've been a long time subscriber to Directv. However, recently we've changed to Verizon FIOS at the house and downgraded our Directv subscription to a very basic package which we only use in the Cyclone. The service certainly still works but in comparing to Dish Network, it doesn't seem to have near the channel options that we like on this low end package. Dish has a great package at what appears to be a very competitive price with more channels we like. I've heard there are issues with Dish with some of the roof mounted automatic locating dishes and multiple receivers. Does anyone else have Dish network, multiple receivers (or maybe better said multiple tuners), and an automatic dish? If so, how well does it work? Any issues to be aware of?

rvn4fun

We have had Dish for years and have one DVR reciever in the rv, but it runs both tvs. We love Dish but they have taken a unrealistic rate hike on the recievers in Febuary, charging us a additional 14.90 a month for the reciever that we own, while bragging about not raising there programing! We might change to Direct. Check every thing down to the penny on what they are going to charge you before switching.

jgallego

I have dish and use the Wineguard Travler Automatic Multisatellite roof antenna. It has worked without a problem. I use different receivers for the living room and bedroom and have not had any problems.

Jaime

Netem

I just changed from Dish to Direct TV and Dish is making me pay to send their Equipment back and I was a long time customer. They will never get me back.

Delaine and Lindy

We have had both Direct Tv and Dish, I think Direct Tv is so much easier to set up and I also had issues when turning in our equipment to Dish. Getting our money back was the issue. We have two receivers and both are HD. Our set up now is very simple just push one button and the Traveler 3 locks onto all 3 Sattelite's, however I still take the Tri-pod just in case I have to park under trees, we try very hard never to park around trees. Again which is best is just a choice a person has to make. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
WE Have Direct TV at the house and in the fiver. I have a RV4 automatic dish and it works great. I only had 2 requests when looking for a new rig and they were a recliner (got 2) and a automatic satellite. We have had Dish and Direct at the house, on our houseboat when we lived on it and now in the rig. We will never go back to Dish as they have taken the attitude that when you ask them why did they go up so much their answer is like some of the credit card companies "because we can". Good Luck on your decision.

ChopperBill

I have had Direct since they bought out Primestar. They will give you a free up grade every 12 months. Just got into the HD thing last fall. Had to get an HD DVR ($200) for the new LCD. Required changing my dish and running more cables ($50). Cost: free! I even got to keep my old receiver for NO charge. Now I have satellite in the garage.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sorry that I can't remark on Dish but we have had Directv for over 3 years without any real problems. Customer service has been great to work with when we are out traveling and have run into problems with the service. Kind of laugh when I think how many receivers I have in the rig (3) versa the house (2). boys and their toys :)

Jellystone

I will give you a warning--STAY AWAY FROM DISH NETWORK. I have had experience with both systems and Direct is the way to go. The biggest problem is that Dish has to lock in on two signals at the same time (sat.110 &119) in order for you to get all of your channels. If it can only find one signal then you don't get but half of your channels. Because of that, your tracker sits up there confusing itself grinding away into a frensy until it locks itself up and your receiver goes crazy (not changing channels, no program guide, changing to menus in setup on it's on, etc). Just to let you know, most inland river towboats & offshore tugboats have Direct because the signal strength is so much better and wear and tear on the tracking device is a lot less (and those boats are always on the move). I hope this helps you in making your decision and save you a load of frustration.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Roger - we have a DirecTV system we use when we can't get cable (e.g. Holiday Travel Park in VA Beach) and haven't had any problems. Finding the Satellite is quick and easy (we don't do HD in the trailer so we only have to get one and don't have to worry about the side to side angle). Since we have DirecTV at home I'm just paying for the extra receiver for the trailer (don't worry about getting the local stations - Deb's on FoxNews most of the time).

beasleyrl

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like DirecTV is probably the best option so I guess we'll stick with that. I guess I'll have to find something else to work on...

DW_Gray

Yep, Direct TV is the way to go. I'll be a happy camper when my Dish contract is up. Those liars.

Netem

UPS just delivered the box to send back my Dish equipment at my cost and they also want me to take the LNB off the dish and take the switch off the coax and send that back too. They did say to be careful on the ladder and while climbing on my roof. I'll be so glad to be rid of these people.

DW_Gray

UPS just delivered the box to send back my Dish equipment at my cost and they also want me to take the LNB off the dish and take the switch off the coax and send that back too. They did say to be careful on the ladder and while climbing on my roof. I'll be so glad to be rid of these people.

I didn't have to pay to return the equipment about 4 years ago. I think you should call them and demand a postage free label. Or you could return it to the installer that delivered it.