Deep Cycle Battery care

traveler44

We have an Interstate deep cycle "DP" battery in our Bighorn and I added distilled water to it , clear up to the bottom of the filler holes. I soon found out that the battery didn"t seem to want to hold a charge. I took it in to a distributor as it was under warranty yet and learned a little about this type of battery, so I thought I might pass this along. If you add water to this type of battery you are only supposed to add it untill it covers the top of the plates and another half inch higher otherwise it dilutes the proper mixture of --"water-acid"--and although it doesn't completely "kill" the battery, it sure weakens it. I was given a loaner while the distributor tries to save my flooded battery. The reason I shared this is because they said alot of people do this to this type of battery. The guy was really nice about this but he did say something to the effect that " just because you can add water to a pan of soup, doesn't mean you have to". Tom and Mary

BruteForce

Thanks. I too discovered this the hard way after doing the same thing to the battery in our Class-C (last year)

bellm.1

This info per Interstate website:

Note: Interstate’s automotive and commercial starting and Marine/RV batteries are considered Maintenance-Free products under normal operating conditions. However, in the event of an extreme overheat/overcharge situation, the batteries may need to be checked for water loss.
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
<O:p><O:p style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><O:p></O:p>
We recommend the following:<O:p></O:p>
1. How to check the water level and add water:
If your battery has removable vent caps then they can be pried off with a flat-head screwdriver. Once removed, you will see individual vent wells. Look down into each individual cell to make sure that the water is covering the lead plates and is at the proper level. Add water to any cells that are low on water. Always use distilled water that is available from a supermarket to fill the battery in order to prevent chemicals from contaminating the battery.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p>
</O:p>
<O:p>2. How to determine the proper water level:
<O:p>Ideally, the water level should be no higher than just below or to the bottom of the tubes (in a 12-volt battery there are 6 tubes) that go down into the battery. To avoid damage to the battery, make sure the fluid level never drops below the tops of the lead plates in each of the cells. Also, avoid adding too much water, which may result in acid overflow and damage around the battery.</O:p>
</O:p></O:p>
Mike

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This info per Interstate website:

Note: Interstate’s automotive and commercial starting and Marine/RV batteries are considered Maintenance-Free products under normal operating conditions. However, in the event of an extreme overheat/overcharge situation, the batteries may need to be checked for water loss.
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p><O:p style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><O:p></O:p>
We recommend the following:<O:p></O:p>
1. How to check the water level and add water:
If your battery has removable vent caps then they can be pried off with a flat-head screwdriver. Once removed, you will see individual vent wells. Look down into each individual cell to make sure that the water is covering the lead plates and is at the proper level. Add water to any cells that are low on water. Always use distilled water that is available from a supermarket to fill the battery in order to prevent chemicals from contaminating the battery.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p>
<O:p>2. How to determine the proper water level:
<O:p>Ideally, the water level should be no higher than just below or to the bottom of the tubes (in a 12-volt battery there are 6 tubes) that go down into the battery. To avoid damage to the battery, make sure the fluid level never drops below the tops of the lead plates in each of the cells. Also, avoid adding too much water, which may result in acid overflow and damage around the battery.</O:p>
</O:p></O:p>
Mike
This is great information. I would like to add one small tidbit. If you use your battery/batteries for boondocking, truly deep cycle use, before a charge only add enough water to cover the plates and after the charge is complete, add water as needed. If you fully water a battery in a low state of charge you will have too much water in at after the charge is complete.