3400RL (2008) Slide Damaged

Hoosier Wolverine

A word of caution regarding extending the entertainment center slide on the subject unit. Recently while extending my entertainment center slide, the decorative facia on this slide caught on an open cabinet door. The facia was pulled loose and the knob on the cabinet door was damaged. That was the least of my problem.
The right side (inside right) box portion of the slide was stopped from extending when it hung on the cabinet door. However, the frame of the slide continued to extend while the box was stationary. The result was, one side of the frame pulled away from the box pushing its way into the aluminum sheeting on the outside. This exterior piece suffered major damage and will be replaced.
In the past, I've been careful to make certain nothing is in the way of slide extension and retraction, but it only takes once.

Rmcgrath53

I dont know how much more it would cost , but it would be nice to have sensors on the stuff that gets in the way, because I dont care how carefull you are at least one time is to many times. I did the same thing twice with my bunk house slide. I am a carpenter and fixed it both times where you cant tell it happened.

Hoosier Wolverine

Rccgrath53, I intend to find and install some sort of positive latches on these cabinet doors to prevent them from popping open while traveling. Little late to close the barn door now, but I'd like to do all I can to prevent it happening again.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Been there, done that! All of our cabinets that could cause a problem, now have safety latches installed....

Two Hands

The same thing happened to us with our Big Horn 3055RL. The hinges were torn apart without any damage to the cupboard door. We got that part repaired and were careful to check the door before extending the slide. But, about three weeks later, we forgot to check and the door was torn off again. My CEO/Navigator solved the problem by taping a paper sign over the slide switch. The sign reads, "check cupboard door."

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Been there done that! It was the first time and will be the last time. I also have a sign over my slide switch, but there is more on the list than just "check cupboard door".
The J-wrap that you mangled on the outside is an easy fix. I picked up a piece at the factory, along with the side graphic. Looks like new.
I have also taken precautions to hold the cabinet doors in place.

Peace
Dave

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Afraid we joined that club last year too. Was watching the slide passing the recliners and failed to notice the almost closed cabinet door.

Almost only counts with horseshoes-not cabinet doors.