Hookups for a gas grill

nscaler2

Just purchased a small stainless steel gas grill that uses 1lb bottles. I would like to rig it up so that I can use the lp system in the BH with a detachable hose, instead of the 1lb bottles. I have been looking on the net and am completely confused by the numerous hardware choices. I don't know which one is the right one. It could possibly figure this out if our BH were here. However, it is stored approximately 1300 miles from where we winter here in Florida. If any of you have done this can you please enlighten me as to what hardware that you used. TIA.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Tom,

I bought a kit from Camping World that consisted of an adapter that fits on my regular propane tank and a long hose. The adapter stays on the tank all the time even when I get it refilled. It allows me to hook up the tank regularly plus gives an added outlet that the hose for my grill screws into. When I set up camp I attached the hose to the tank adapter, run it out the bottom of the tank compartment and then hook up to the gas grill. Works great. I've had it for a few years now and even transfered the system from one camper to the next when I upgraded.

Keith

nscaler2

Tom,

I bought a kit from Camping World that consisted of an adapter that fits on my regular propane tank and a long hose. The adapter stays on the tank all the time even when I get it refilled. It allows me to hook up the tank regularly plus gives an added outlet that the hose for my grill screws into. When I set up camp I attached the hose to the tank adapter, run it out the bottom of the tank compartment and then hook up to the gas grill. Works great. I've had it for a few years now and even transfered the system from one camper to the next when I upgraded.

Keith

Keith,
Thanks for replying. Is this the one that you got at camping world?? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stay-flow/30341

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Keith,
Thanks for replying. Is this the one that you got at camping world?? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stay-flow/30341

I believe it is one and the same Tom. I don't remember the "pointed" end, but that may be an adapter for the small throw away bottles. Mine is just the "T" with 3 openings. One screws into the propane tank and stays there. The other two ends is where the trailer supply line attacheds and then the "brass cap" covered end where I attach the hose when I need to hook up the grill.

Like I said, it works great for me. I don't have to carry an extra propane tank (nor the little throw away bottles), yet I can still set my grill far enough from the camper that I'm not worrked about a flair up causing a fire.

Keith

truknutt

Committed Member
We use a gas gauge with leak detector and 90 degree tee with 12' hose. All are available from tweety's.com. I say this so you can see the prices. You can probably find the items elsewhere for less.

Be mindful of where your coach's regulator is located in the "flow". The way I have mine hooked up, the gas exits to the grill BEFORE it hits the coach's regulator so I have to use the low pressure regulator that came with our Coleman. Some are siphoning after the factory regulator AND trying to use the grill's regulator but that won't work.

Here are pics:

Attachments

• gasgard2..jpg
    gasgard2..jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 46
  • gasgard..jpg
    gasgard..jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 90 tee and hose..jpg
    90 tee and hose..jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 67

ChopperBill

I use the 12 foot hose like djdugan. I works well but I also refill my 1 lbs bottles with the adapter.
45989.gif
I know some are afraid to do that but it sure works great. Freeze your empty 1 pounders for awhile and put your 20 pounder in the sun for a while to get a good fill. Never had a problem. Keeps the potability in a portable grill or stove.

Paul_in_MN

When you use a refill adapter like we see here, be careful to wear good leather gloves. Liquid LP will freeze skin almost instantly. We use to turn the 20 lb tank upside down to get a liquid flow into the little cylinder. But now with the OPD internal valves, I do not know if that still works, but I guess that it might. You might have to vent off vapor by pressing the "tire valve" on the little tank, so the liquid LP will flow into it. Of course the vapor is highly flamable or explosive if it gets into an enclosed space, so do this away from buildings and RVs. Wear safety eye protection as well.

With all of that said, I gave up using the transfer adapter and either buy the little disposable bottles of use the trailer's tank with a tee. Either is safer!

Paul_in_MN

ChopperBill

With OPD valves it works with tank upside down. Never froze my skin and never have had to press the schrader valve to bleed off a bottle. I don't get any more bleed off when removing the bottle from the adapter than I have unscrewing the bottle from the appliance. Fill 'em outside. Not paying up to $5 for a 1 lb. bottle, of course I run with scissors also. ;)

sdagro

I know this is a pretty old thread but here goes. I bought a propane quick connect set at CW that has a shut-off valve built into it. I tied into the hard piped line coming off of the on-board tanks after the regulator. Installed the male end of the KK to the hose and VOILA!! I actually have 2 KK side by side. I use my Big Easy oil-less fryer, gas grill or Firedancer firepit all using this. If you want to bring an appliance to another site. Use the original equipment.

RickMN

Not sure if you have one but you might want to check.... Our sundance has a quick connect fitting already plumbed in next to the door. Just had to add a hole and a male kk fitting.

Schultz14

RickMN,
Where did you have to add a hole? We have a QD near our door also but it's under the belly and accessible. I'm hoping there aren't 12 types of QD fittings when I go to buy one for the grill I haven't bought yet.