Tax in the US & Canada

argyll1st

Hi all I have a kinda basic question about how you guys pay tax, I have just bought a new 5er ( on travel tags)and the dealer has given me the option to pay 6.75% OH sales tax or drive it away and pay the tax in the state I end up in ? I will be on the move for 30days then the 5er will be in storage for 9mths, I dont live in the US and my only connection is a Goodsam mailbox in Florida. If I drag this thing out of storage in 2011 and try and reg it in florida how will they know if I paid the OH tax on it ? and would they care ?

2010augusta

I don't know about Florida, but when we relocated to Washington from Colorado I had to show the Department of Licensing a copy of my Colorado DMV invoice show that I had pay sales tax on the unit or else WA was going to make me pay a "use tax" which is about the same as sales tax.

The government is not going let you get away with not paying tax.

If you are going to register the unit to the Florida address, you need to check with Florida's DMV and find out their policy and paperwork needed to register the unit.

2010augusta

Here is a quote from Florida DHSMV web site

You bought it more than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased six months or more before being brought into Florida, Florida sales or use tax or local discretionary sales surtax do not apply. You'll need to show proof that you used it for six months or more in another state or jurisdiction.
You bought it less than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required. However, that is offset by the sales tax you paid in the prior jurisdiction. For example, if you owe 6% to Florida, but you paid 4% to another state, you will only owe 2% to Florida.

I think you would have to show a out-of-state title as proof of six months or more use. and OH will not give you a title unless you register there.

Hope some of this helps you.

argyll1st

I hear you, ok I am starting to understand, So I either reg in OH (6.75) or FL (6%) So if I go for the FL registration I can do it with the goodsam mail forwarding service but how do I pay the Taxes ? do I send then the sales invoices for the truck (MO) and for the 5er (OH) and a Chq for 6% or do I have to take the truck and 5er to Florida for any kind of inspection ?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hi all I have a kinda basic question about how you guys pay tax, I have just bought a new 5er ( on travel tags)and the dealer has given me the option to pay 6.75% OH sales tax or drive it away and pay the tax in the state I end up in ? I will be on the move for 30days then the 5er will be in storage for 9mths, I dont live in the US and my only connection is a Goodsam mailbox in Florida. If I drag this thing out of storage in 2011 and try and reg it in florida how will they know if I paid the OH tax on it ? and would they care ?

Usually by cutting off an appendage and putting it in an envelope. The other thing to consider on where to register and pay the tax is do they offer a one time permanent registration or do you have to re-register (aka. pay) annually. Michigan has a 6% sales tax and the registration is a one-time permanent deal on trailers.