Delamination issues in Florida

mikgala

Hi there, Purchasing our 2nd fiver and really interested in Sundance. My primary concerns are how well the laminated floor and walls will stand up to the South Florida climate year round. Are there aluminum framing members 16" OC in the walls and roof ? How about framing around all windows and doors? I'm somewhat concerned about the use of OS board on the "laminated" floor and on the roof.
We're REALLY close to a 2900MK purchase and look forward to your reply!

Thank You,
Michael & Cindi

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Micheal, I have a Sundance 3200ES that has been sitting in the georgia sun since 06 and have not had any problems with
walls or floors. I had a water heater weld fail in 07 and leaked all over the floor. The floor is still good.

Hope this helps Randy

D

Dave Willis

The 2900MK has laminated side walls and has a 5" Wood Truss roof 16" on center with a 3/8" osb roof decking. It is a walk on roof! The floor has 2x3 wood studs 16" on center with a 5/8" one piece osb floor. We sell a lot of Sundance units in the south and I haven't heard of many delam problems.

Thanks,

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I would not be concerned about the OSB flooring/roofing. We had a mobile home with the same flooring, the water heater burst in the middle of the night pumping water into the bedroom and kitchen for HOURS before discovered. Pulled up the carpet and laminate, dried it out and it was good as new. Insurance adjuster told us if it hadn't been for the OSB, they'd have had to tear the floors completely out of the mobile.

Have lived in our Bighorn for three years, just pulled up the carpet and replaced and again, the OSB looks like brand new...glad we have it!! Also, we have no indication of any delamination of the walls either...rig still looks great!

mikgala

Thanks All for your replies!!

Seems we were a little surprised to find that Sundance is one of the only Heartland products that have wood framed floors and roofs, NOT laminated like their other lines, especially their flagship models!!
Wonder why??? The Sundance XLT line is all laminated !! Sure would like the answer to that ???

OS Board would work well on a laminated floor where the structure is bonded as one unit with framing members, adhesive and pressure. In typical framing applications, OSB is never used for floors or roofs since it lacks the cross-laminated stability of plywood.

This would be even more questionable over holding tanks where the floor joists are farther apart!!

Anyone want to weigh in on this one??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Our Bighorn is an 08'...prior to the laminated floor system. This flooring has not given us one issue. In fact, several weeks ago we had all the floor covering removed and replaced (not that there was anything wrong with it...just wanted to upgrade the look), and the OSB is in PERFECT condition!!

We spend alot of time in Texas...you can't get much more humid than this area, and the OSB is showing absolutely no signs of any problems. I personally have no problem with its use in my RV....