Electrical Issues

Elder1

We are on our fist extended trip and found a problem with the electrical setup. All plugs in the living room are on one 15 amp circuit breaker. So when we plugged in a elect heater the breaker popped and everything went off, TV, DVD/Radio, Satellite system, and all plugs including the plug next to the stove that we had our coffee pot on. Now I could move the coffee pot next to the sink and pug it in but I don't like the idea of having a elect appliance next to a wet sink so how do I get the living room rewired under warranty? It would seen to me that the left and right side of the living area should be on a separate circuit so a person could plug in a heater or 2 and still watch TV.

We are in CA now and will be heading to Utah next so we could stop someplace to have the work done or should I wait till we get home and take the unit back to the dealer?

Thanks
Bryan

jimtoo

Hi elder1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help.

I'm sure someone will jump in here soon with a recommendation.

Jim M

lhetsler

Its not likely a warranty issue. I don't know why they do that. Especially when, as on mine, there is a couple of empty breakers. I have the same issue with my 3670, when I want to run two heaters. I have just learned to use certain plugins. If you want to add a plugin, it can be fairly easy to do. Buy a matching breaker for the box and add the plugin to the side of a cupboard where it is easy to access. If you don't have an empty breaker slot, it would be more difficult to find a circuit that can handle the extra load.

branson4020

Icantre Member
It's perfectly safe to use the electrical outlet next to the sink. It's GFCI protected. I also agree that it's not a warranty issue. My coach is also wired with a single circuit for the back portion including the entertainment system.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bryan, I don't think you have a problem with your electrical setup. Circuits are designed based on their typical usage. Just like in you house. The typical living room does not use high amperage items such as a 1500 watt heater. That alone draws 12.5 amps, almost the limit of your breaker/14 guage wire. The breaker is in place to protect the wire. So in order to get a 20 amp circuit, heavier wire would be needed.
As far as using your coffee pot near the sink, why not? That receptacle is GFCI protected. It is exactly for using electric near wet locations. Or like the #3 post above, wire, or have someone wire a new circuit.
I added two GFCI protected recepticles for just that reason. Oh, and they are right below the counter top near the sink.
You just have to use your rig and find out what works best for you.
Have fun on your trip.

Peace
Dave

boatdoc

Bryan, It's not that the wiring is wrong it just doesn't suit your needs. Once you and Tanna have used your new rig for awhile you will find many things that you'll want different or changed. That's the case for many of us here on the forum and after learning these changes/needs you can look or search out if that mod has been done before or you go for it on your own. I myself, love doing these changes and making it Diana's and my own rig. It personalizes one's rig apart from someone elses same floorplan. We've had our 3670 since Dec. of 07 and I'm still doing things to it that make it better for us but maybe not for all.
Just use it for some time and have fun making it your's and Tanna's. Have fun!!!!

wdk450

Bryan:
Does your rig have 50 amp service and the option of a 2nd Air conditioner? If so ( and you do not have the 2nd air conditioner installed) you should have 1 leg of the 50 amp service COMPLETELY UNUSED. If you can find the installed, unused, "Front AC" breaker, you can wire an dedicated outlet to it for a high amperage load, like the electric heater.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bryan:
Does your rig have 50 amp service and the option of a 2nd Air conditioner? If so ( and you do not have the 2nd air conditioner installed) you should have 1 leg of the 50 amp service COMPLETELY UNUSED. If you can find the installed, unused, "Front AC" breaker, you can wire an dedicated outlet to it for a high amperage load, like the electric heater.

I don't know about that, Bill. I don't have a second A/C in our 3670, but my Progressive read-out shows current draw on both incoming lines of the 50A service.

wdk450

I don't know about that, Bill. I don't have a second A/C in our 3670, but my Progressive read-out shows current draw on both incoming lines of the 50A service.

John:
I don't know this as a personally measured fact, this is what I have read on basic RV wiring webites, and (I think) some posts on this forum regarding 50A service.
It sure would be nice if Heartland would release its AC wiring diagrams.

JohnDar

John:
I don't know this as a personally measured fact, this is what I have read on basic RV wiring websites, and (I think) some posts on this forum regarding 50A service.
It sure would be nice if Heartland would release its AC wiring diagrams.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a schematic of how the rig is wired. I'd like to change the lower outside outlet into a switched one, like the awning outlet, but trying to trace the wires in and out of it is like Blind Man's Bluff. They disappear into the maze of spaghetti and the walls.
But, as for the two lines, when we're hooked up, the remote display for the surge protector alternates between Line 1 and Line 2, showing the voltage and amperage draw. The amp draw changes as things turn on and off.

wdk450

John:
If you really want an easy fix on that outside outlet, you might consider an X-10 remote controlled outlet from smarthome.com and controller. This system sends command signals down the A.C. wiring to make lights, outlets, alarms and more to switch on/off. Radio Shack even sells some of this stuff.

JohnDar

Bill, I've got an older version of that system in my house (from Radio Shack). Now that I think about it, with the TT we used one of the wife's myriad outdoor remote control outlets from her Christmas stash, so we didn't have to go outside to unplug the awning lights to turn them off. With the BH, I'm not hanging awning lights, but use a long blue rope light under the rig, along the frame, for "accent." Looks kinda crappy having the cord hanging down the side from the awning outlet. Thinking about some dingle balls in the rear window and major hydraulics to bounce the rig....NOT.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The electrical system seems to be working. Our unit is wired the same way but we use 2 heaters, there is an easy fix. Run the 2 heaters at a lower setting, ours has 3 settings low 750 watts, med. 1200 watts, and Hi 1500 watts.

caissiel

There might be a dedicated Fireplace outlet near where the fireplace would be located, On mine the fireplace is a dedicated circuit in the livingroom.
The fridge is also on the slide breaker.
The breaker box is well marked.
You should take time and check all the plugs and note the circuit breaker for each.
I usually do that by closing the circuit to a plug that I attache a light or electric tool to. Hairdryer could do also.

cgunn

My Bighorn was wired for a second A/C over the bedroom.
I decided I would use that 20amp circuit for my electric heater in Living Room.
Easy Mod....Just take off the trim around the bedroom vent over the bed.
The end of the romex with a plastic end connector was laying right there by the hole.
I just turned the 20amp breaker for that extra A/C off then cut the end connector off.
Then pull your breaker panel out enough to reach behind and pull the romex right out.
Next I rerouted it under the trailer inside the underbelly to the cabinet in the kitchen.
I mounted a receptacle on the back side of the kitchen counter where it needed to be all along!!!
Works Great....1500 watt heater and toaster or whatever....and it is 20amp so it NEVER TRIPS!!!
Heartland should think about this because we ALL use heaters to help out the furnace....RIGHT???

rick_debbie_gallant

Heck I would put in a junction box and leave the air-condition wire hooked up. I don't know of many people that run both their heater and their air at the same time.

The easiest way to turn your lower outside receptacle into a switched one is to take both of the walls out of the basement to gain access to the plug. The wiring to the receptacle and the switches on the steps are right there. You can purchase a matching 3 switch panel and an additional switch and then just wire that receptacle to the additional switch and install it on the steps with the other switches. The hole is there, just add the switch to the new panel and move the other switches over and your set. I don't know why Heartland did not make that a switched plug to begin with, but it's an easy mod.

Just be careful when you are adding breakers to the panel and adding electrical appliances i.e. heaters, etc.... Remember, 50 AMP service is just that...50 AMP. It does not take much to run the coffee maker, the furnace, space heater, and then while your cooking, get the microwave running and with the lights on, the TV, etc...you can go over 50 amps quickly. Just be careful. You can overload your power cord and receptacle and not overload individual circuits on your panels and then you can possibly start a cord fire and not know it. I am speaking from experience on this one.

Good Luck to all.

ct0218

You actually have 50A on each hot leg, so that is 100A of 120V available. That is plenty of juice, so it shouldn't be a problem. In a 30A setup you have a total of only 30A available since there is only 1 hot leg.