Truck bed covers

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ok - I'm having trouble using the "search engine" on this new webpage so maybe I can ask the question again for all of ya'll suggestions. I am trying to find the best bed cover for our Dodge 3500 srw truck. I had a roller trac system before but didn't like the way it fit the tapered bed. My thinking is a tri-fold hard cover but not sure if the pin box will hit the cover when making a tight turn. There's always the rollups but I'm not sure about the durability of it. Any suggestions!!! ;)

Nabo

Thanks Jim - I knew there was a way to research pasted post but couldn't figure it out.
N--

jbeletti

No problem Nathan. I am hoping you will get others to weigh in here with their own experiences with covers.

By the way, I got those results (helpful as they may or may not be :) ) by doing this:

• Clicked on Advanced Search at top right of forum
  • Clicked inside the Google search box there
  • Typed "bed cover" dodge
  • Hit enter
I used quotes around bed cover so results would be for that phrase of 2 words together and I added dodge to make it more relevant to your application.

I'm no search guru but over time, you get better and better at it :D

I had a Truxedo low-profile cover on my Dodge that I could roll up. It was not a self-storing roll, it just rolled back onto itself and stored strapped up against the front of the box at the rear window. It was "just okay".

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Nathan,
I have a hard cover that hinges. There are three sections and I have never had any issues with hitting the pinbox. I did however have to change the release handle on my hitch so that it wasn't any hogher than the bed rails.

Good luck,
Mark

Lance & Jo

We use the Fold a Cover. Had it on my 03 3500 and liked it so well we brought it with us when we moved up to the 07. They say it's not water proof but has worked great so far. Only knock is the lock covers are rubber and ours got fed to the sun god some time ago.

Nabo

Thanks Mark - that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Lance - is your fold a cover hard or soft? A saleman tried to sell me a soft (vinyl) tri-fold cover but I didn't like any part of that.

truknutt

Committed Member
I use a BakFlip G2 hardcover on both my 450 & 350. They fold up into 4 sections (8 ft bed) and store stacked behind the rear window no wider than a crossover toolbox so ther's no interference with the hitch.

The cover can be completely removed by unscrewing 2 large knobbed screws so the entire bed is accessible if needed.

Nabo

Thanks TrukNutt but unfortunately my dodge is a short bed. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the 8' bed, but I didn't, so I have to work around the short bed. That's the reasoning for the concern of a tri fold hard cover with the turning radius of the king pin.

Nabo

Thanks Rick for your info. My concern with the soft trifold is the wear at the fold points. How long have you had yours? The one I looked at is by Access and just didn't seem to be very heavy material.

Rrloren

I've had the Bak Flip hard cover for nearly 3 years and just removed it last week. It doesn't interfere with the hitch or 5th wheel however I found that parts started falling off after a while, ie. rubber pieces and the metal strips on the side of the cover itself.
I usually use tiedown straps to hold the cover in place when it's folded up against the cab and wound up tearing off the hinge on one side. It's junk now.
Spent a few days researching covers and settled on a cover from Advanced Folding Cover. Can't comment on it till next week since it doesn't arrive till Mon.
I would have liked the type that rolls up and stores in a container against the cab but I have an auxillary fuel tank in the bed and don't have the clearance for the box.
I also wasn't crazy about the soft covers since I had one in the past and they aren't secure enough and fade after a few years.

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks TrukNutt but unfortunately my dodge is a short bed. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the 8' bed, but I didn't, so I have to work around the short bed. That's the reasoning for the concern of a tri fold hard cover with the turning radius of the king pin.

Don't know which cab version you have so here are your part numbers if interested:

2009 - 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab with 67.2 In. Bed, without Ram Box | Part#: 26207

2002 - 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad/Mega Cab with Short 74.69 In. Bed | Part#: 26203

Lance & Jo

Thanks Mark - that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Lance - is your fold a cover hard or soft? A saleman tried to sell me a soft (vinyl) tri-fold cover but I didn't like any part of that.
It's hard and we have the long bed, you might look at foldacover.com for their products

Nabo

TrukNutt - the ExTang was one that I looked at on the showroom floor and really liked. Ran the BC up to Bristol today and did some measuring of the king pin in a sharp turn so I now know how much distance I will need for a hard cover. It's going to be tight as far as clearance I think. Anywhoo - maybe I can talk the dealership into ordering the unit without buying (ha).
Lance - I haven't heard of foldacover.com but will do some research.
Thanks to everyone for all of ya'll imput.

jnbhobe

Try Advance Cover out of Michigan, I have two of them 4 section for a shortbed. JONhttp://www.advancedfoldingcover.com/

Nabo

WOW - thanks Jon, a quad fold hard cover. Will try to contact the local dealer given on the website. Thanks again.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Retrax is the only cover i know of that fits the Dodge bed perfictly because its 3" or 4" out of square (narrow in front) I have one on my Dodge Ram SRT, the fit and finish is top notch. I have had a few Pace Edwards Jack Rabbits on my other Dodges but the side rails are not custom made to fit like the Retrax.
http://www.rolltopcover.com/products.htm