Heater Not Strong Enough?

ToyHauler

Hey everyone,

Loving the Cyclone! Been camping the last several weekends up in the Colorado mountains and it's been cold at night! Down in the low 40's. The heater seems to run almost non-stop to keep the temp around 68. The floor vent closest to the heater puts out a small amount of air and the one near the front door and in the bedroom hardly put out any air.

What have your experiences been? Is this something I should have looked at by my dealer?

Thanks,
Doug

bob hyder

I had mine in to the dealer for the same problem except that I had good air flow out the vents in the main area, but almost no air coming out of the vent in the bedroom. The dealer told me that Heartland uses the framing to run the heater ducts in and where they make the turns, (ie going up to the bedroom) they put in spray in foam and cut it to help the air make the turns. Kinda like timk tent in a vent. And they also put in vents that can be closed off in the main area. Helped very little. Not much flow out bedroom vent. I'm going to pull off some of the ducting covers and see if anything is left inthere from building the coach, and also build in some dirverters to help the airflow in the bends. I've noticed that the vent in the bedroom gets it's airflow from a dryer type vent (round) that's just cut into the top of the main ducting. The air can flow past that point for about 3 feet and deadends into the end of the frame crossmember at the front of the trailer. This will be where I start. First to see if I have much flow up in that area. Good luck with your issue and if you come up with any ideas, please pass them on. As I will when I get a chance to tear into my system.

Bob

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
In a BigHorn there is a heater outlet in the storage bay. Did you check to if it may be open and is dumping the heated air into the storage bay?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
My hot air expirence is not the same as yours. The vent into the Washroom has way too much hot air, The bedroon has lots and the kitchen and livingroom have very little. The service tech found that the vent piping was sagging so put in a piece of plywood to support the vent. It did not help with more air into the kitchen,livingroom.I have blocked most of the air into the washroom and some into the bedroom, but that was no help. So back we go to the dealer in Oct. to see if they can figure it out while the rest of the cosmetic issues are fixed.

bcpolaris

bcpolaris
I am having the same air flow problem. No heat into the bedroom. A lot of heat was being lost around the furnace, I used some tin tape on sides and it helped somewhat. Still wondering how to get more heat into the bedroom.

ToyHauler

Still no resolution

I've used mirrors and flashlights to follow all of my ducts and everything is clear of obstructions. Essentially I just don't seem to have enough airflow.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade the fan?

Loco

We had the same trouble with our 3795. Found that most of the heat was leaking out under the rig. They use the floor framing as heating ducts. and there is a round duck that comes up from the lower deck, behind the basement storage wall right side and it goes to the bedroom/bath.It was lose and I fixed that but it still does not heat good. I plan on running my own round ducting from the heater to the bed room this summer. I can not stand having our heat run all the time. We use little electric heaters now and that works great. Plus it when are in a camp ground with power, I do not have to pay for that. LP is costly when the heat runs all the time.Anyway back to the ducting. Heartland just put a aluminum cover over the frame work running front to back and cut the vents into the frame channel. On my rig they did not seal the aluminum before they screwed it up. It leaks all under the rig. If you look under the rig you can not see the cover over the duct because it is covered by black plastic. I ran my heat and went under the rig and I could see the plastic moving because of the air flow leaking out. I have decided it would be easier to run new ducts than it would to try to seal the factory ones. I figured I would use 3 or 4 inch flex duct and run it from the furnace to the front and up to the bed room ducts that are already there behind the wall. I think I have a picture of the duct work in there now.

Attachments

• camperfdic 041.jpg
    camperfdic 041.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 138
  • camperfdic 036.jpg
    camperfdic 036.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 129
  • after rebuild 015.jpg
    after rebuild 015.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Deepsky3539

My dealer installed a new vent in the bedroom (as instructed by Heartland) and it works fine. Why they couldn't fix the existing vents? Your guess is as good as mine.

ToyHauler

Loco,

Where and how did you run your new ducts? I took the Cyclone out this weekend for the first time this season and am now convinced I am losing a lot of warm air to the underbelly. The heater would run and run and run and barely heat up the interior. However, the cold water out of the tap was warm! That's how much warm air my system is putting into the underbelly!

I definitely need to get this fixed.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We have plenty of air flow in ours, but it seemed it was always in the wrong place. We found closeable vents that fit the holes at Home Depot and can now control where the air goes. Just replaced a couple where the vents were close together. A plus is that I can close off the one in front of the kitchen sink so stuff stops dropping in there. The vents we found are a metal drop-in and we just ran a small bead of adhesive caulk under the lip to hold them.

StevieWonder

I had good air flow out the vents in the main area, but almost no air coming out of the vent in the bedroom.

I had EXACTLY the same issue on my Sundance. The dealer who did the repairs under warranty said that the duct was improperly connected to the bedroom floor vent.

Apparently this is a COMMON issue. Way too common.