Bighorn purchase question - 3055RL versus 3185RL - hard decision

We are planning on buying a Bighorn 5th wheel, but have fallen into the issue of buying a 3055RL versus a 3185RL. My wife really likes the 3185RL floorplan and decor, and I do as well, but I have concerns on how practical it is versus the 3055RL. One of my major concerns is the amount of closet space in the 3185RL. Also, in the future I'm wondering which one would have a better trade-in or resale value, plus which would be more appealing for resale. Anyone run into a similar issue when deciding to buy a Bighorn? We'd appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

David

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
David, The 3055 has been around quite a while and there are many forum members with that floor plan. The 3185 is becoming as popular very fast. Regarding resale? I think it's a coin toss. Like cars and houses, people will buy what suits their needs for the best deal they can find. Almost like the situation you are facing deciding which to buy.
Weigh the pros & cons of each floor plan and go for it. Is the lack of closet space made up for in some other way? More drawers or cabinets? How much room is around the bed? Ease of making the bed? Claustrophobic feelings in the bedroom with doors closed? Be sure to sit on the stool and see how the "roominess" feels. Kitchen counter and layout are also things to consider. Ease of viewing the TV when in relaxing mode or at the dining table? Basement storage? Pin weight? Lots of things to think about. Good luck with your decision and keep in mind, Heartland is there, no matter which one you choose.

ihsolutions

We strongly considered the 3185RL before ending up with the 3670RL. The 3055 was not on our list, because we wanted the all-in-one bath.

I just sold my 2005 Sunline 5th wheel which had a floorplan similar to the 3055. We loved it. But the open bath design was a turn off to many people...it seemed 80% of the calls I got on it were people who were no longer interested once they found out the shower is in the bedroom.

Certainly there are pros/cons to each layout (open bath vs. all-in-one bath) and I'm not saying one is better than the other. This is just my own personal experience on the resale side. IMO, I'd buy what suits you best and not worry about resale. You're going to get hammered with depreciation no matter what you chose!

Fredtp

For me it would be the 3585, because you have the storage plus the W/D space. The 3185 has no W/D space.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We went from a 3055rl to a 3370rl for the all in one bath and more storage. We need as much storage as we can get because we are full timing in it, and got just that in the 3370.

we have just picked up our 3185rl loved the bathroom layout and open living space when at kitchen counter you have no cabnets to look thru when cooking and conversing three years of searching brought us to heartland.

spandila

We just ordered our new Big Horn 3185RL and pick it beginning of July. We debated, too, as to the model but after looking we liked the 3185 the best because of the kitchen layout. You could still see the rest of the area without having cupboards in the way. We also liked the all in one bathroom. Storage is a little less but for us it was not the deciding factor. Looking forward to the new unit!

ibrick

Go with the 3185, we have a 3055 that is great but after 2 years there's a couple of things were going to change with a different Bighorn model.

We found when we back into a campsite that the fire pit, picnic table and in general, the major part of the campsite is on the door side. The 3055 only has a small window in the entertainment center facing all the action. The big windows above the couch and table face the hookups and your neighbour's campsite. Having the working part(kitchen, entertainment center) of the 5th on the opposite side of the door with all the windows on the door side facing your campsite makes more sense for us.

The cabinet above the sink really does limit your ability to see out the big rear window, the tv or when just visiting with friends who sit on the couch while you cook. We also found this to be the area with the least amount of natural light. We really like the peninsula idea to get around those quirks of ours.

This was our first 5th and we have been more than happy with the quality of the Bighorn brand and will definitely be purchasing another.

Rick

supernan1414

We faced the same decision but went with the 3185 because we have a seasonal site and I wanted the windows on the door side to face our little yard. The back of our site looks to woods and wanted to see that also. We are not full timers but weekenders so washer and dryer is not a need and if we go to Florida this winter will go to laundry mat. My concern was I couldn't get the king bed in that model, last years 3400 would have worked for me but not available this year. We are limited to 35 feet in our campground. I decided we liked everything else about this floor plan so went with it. I also am tired of the open bath and a stool room, really wanted a regular bath. We just ordered ours yesterday.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Get the one you like. We all have different reasons for getting a certain model. That is why they have so many to chose from.

jimtoo

Hi elwood1944,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The spec sheet list it as 1995#, but that is an average figure they use before options and add ons. Mine, loaded and ready to go, a little water and nothing else in tanks, but a lot of stuff in the belly including a sliding tray was about 2800#. I see you list a 2011 year model in your information. I think there is a sticker, on the door frame or in that area, that list actual weight as that unit came off the assembly line.

Enjoy the forum and welcome to the family.

Jim M

ricatic

The pin weight on my 2009 3055RL loaded for a trip and 40 gallons of water is 2380 pounds. I just weighed it last Thursday