Fibreglass sagging under 5th.wheel overhang.

I am just waiting to hear from my dealer.The fiberglass skin on my overhang,is bulging and coming away at the seams. Has anyone else encountered this?My unit is a 2009 Bighorn3055

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Ours has some sags, no water buildup and is not coming undone at the seams. It's not really stuck to anything under there. We've thought about adding some screws with washers to take out the sag, but hasn't been a big enough issue yet to tackle that.

reverts

Ours also has some sags, but no water and not coming undone at seams. There is nothing under there, and it hasn't been a problem but we are thinking about a couple of different fixes.

Elevatorman

I am just waiting to hear from my dealer.The fiberglass skin on my overhang,is bulging and coming away at the seams. Has anyone else encountered this?My unit is a 2009 Bighorn3055

Hi, just picked my BC up from the dealer Sat. after having the front wall replaced due to water laying in that "sagging" area under the overhang. I was told that this piece was "cut too small" at the factory and the leak was in the horizontal seams along the outside edge. The factory made a whole new piece. I got to see the material after it was removed and was surprised to see is was a laminate layed over a cardboard like material, that will absorb water. We'll see how it does, there still appears to be some sag there. They didn't put any extra screws up under there though. We'll see! I just see a sagging piece that pulls the seams apart after time and then leak. I did show de-lam below the front storage door where the water would drain when I raised the 5er front end. Best of luck to you with this one, I'm lucky enough to be still under warranty when I caught it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My 2008 Bighorn just developed a sag. I took off the trim that is around the pin box, and found that the two screws that hold the material up had pulled through it. I just removed the screw and added a couple of fender washers and put it all back together. Like new again.

Peace
Dave

Tankie

I have a 2009 3670 noticed the sagging under the overhang was gettig a little worse, I pushed on it and water came out from the front storage compartment. rasied the front end up to get as much water out as possible. Elevatorman how long did it take to replace the overhang? Thanks Tankie

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have had a reply from Heartland,and they will repair it under warranty. I am in Apache Junction at present.I went to a dealer in Mesa,he suggested it was probably water related. He didn't seem overly interested in helping me.I will wait until I get home,and go to the dealer who sold it to me. Heartland don't think it is water related,I tend to agree,as I don't see any evidence of water.

Elevatorman

I have a 2009 3670 noticed the sagging under the overhang was gettig a little worse, I pushed on it and water came out from the front storage compartment. rasied the front end up to get as much water out as possible. Elevatorman how long did it take to replace the overhang? Thanks Tankie

Tankie They had the 5er for 2 months. I think most of the time was the wait for the factory to make the replacement. Otherwise the time to install was about a week. I'm sure all the holes for the switches and lights etc. had to be cut there, then set up the seams. Looks good, Checked yesterday, so far so good.

Elevatorman

Tankie They had the 5er for 2 months. I think most of the time was the wait for the factory to make the replacement. Otherwise the time to install was about a week. I'm sure all the holes for the switches and lights etc. had to be cut there, then set up the seams. Looks good, Checked yesterday, so far so good.

Let me add to my last post. The 5th wheel sat in the yard at the dealers for at least two weeks before they took it inside to work on it. So I guess real work time to be about a month total.

Tankie

elevatorman, Thanks for the info. I took the trim off and opened that area up to let it dry out. There was only water on one side, think it got wet when I had BH washed with pressure washer. Will put it back together this weekend and check an re-caulk the front cap.