Removing the vertical portion of the valance

patrick1945

My wife wants me to remove the vertical portion of the valance in the slide behind the most forward chairs to create more room.

Has anyone done this and if so what are your suggestions?

jbeletti

If the chairs are hitting the hard legs (lambrequins), I'd suggest you shorten them by removing them and trimming a few inches from the top, then reinstalling. Yes, there will be a screw hole to deal with where the lambrequin was fastened to the wall at the bottom edge but it may be worth patching to get the function you want.

Jim

2010augusta

To remove the valances from the walls there is one screw in each lower inside corner and a few screws in the top. then the "legs" are held to the top of the by one screw for each side. the come apart real easy.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We shortened ours for the exact same reason. The screw hole in the wall is not noticible, so we haven't bothered to fix it. I did however, take them apart and cut a little off the top as well as the bottom so the overall curve of the design remained mostly the same. Staple gun or hot glue works. Uses short staples as the material isn't too thick.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Should you impact the lambrequins with a chair or your elbow and they fall apart, you can use a heavy dose of fabric glue to hold them together again. Once the myriad of short staples pull out of the thin MDF panels under the fabric, there's no going back. You have to pull them out and use the glue and some clamps.

patrick1945

We shortened ours for the exact same reason. The screw hole in the wall is not noticible, so we haven't bothered to fix it. I did however, take them apart and cut a little off the top as well as the bottom so the overall curve of the design remained mostly the same. Staple gun or hot glue works. Uses short staples as the material isn't too thick.

How did you remove the verticals? I can't see a screw at the bottom anywhere. On the window over the desk, there is just the valance and you can clearly see the screws at the bottom of the valance. However, on the other windows, the verticals actually touch the bottom of the valance, thereby making it impossible to remove the valance first. Maybe the fabric covers the screw in the vertical?

the "wife"

Last edited: