Living/Dining Slide Awning

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Does anyone else have a problem with a sagging Living/Dining Slide awning when the slide is out? On our 3055RL the edges of the awning appear to be fairly tight but when any water settles, the awning sags badly (about 2-3 inches or more) in the center. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to increase the tension on it ? It is a fairly wide awning and I'm wondering if this is normal.

I looked at one end and it appears it takes a special torx (or similar) wrench for two screws (if that is used to lock the tension). Anyone know if a special wrench is needed and how to adjust the tension ?

Tom

svd

We were caught in a heavy rain storm, and I noticed the same thing, but only on the larger dining slide. The others did not seem to hold the water. I just assumed that because the awning was so long, that it was normal ( I noticed another unit that looked the same). I wouldn't mind adjusting it if it solves the problem and doesn't cause any damage.

K

Ken Washington

Tom,
Mine does the same thing and there is nothing that can be done about it. If your trailer is level, water will collect and not run off. What I do is raise the front before putting in the slides to make sure there is not any water on them. I wish that there was enough room to mount the awning higher up on the trailer which would increase water run off.
Ken

jpmorgan37

I've had the same condition on the past three 5th wheel's with slides. When we are parked for longer periods of time, I wash them regularly to keep them clean. Parking under Cedar Trees with their little blue berries really makes a mess of them. The pressure washer and awning cleaner does a pretty good job of cleaning them. The big thing that I found is not to let the water lay in them.

John

ChopperBill

I must be a minority! On our first and only camping trip, with the Bighorn, it rained cats and dogs. Our three slide awnings stayed a tight as a drum. However, our friends brand spanking new Jaycos awnings sagged something fierce! The wind came up and his started whipping and water flew every where. Mine were dry as a bone. :) (I am knocking on wood!)
p.s. Our Snowriver truck camper has a slide out awning and it has NEVER sagged in 3 years!

Wild Wind

Awning Still Collects Water

After 6 weeks at LSI, our living rm./ dinning rm. awning still collects water. LSI adjusted the tension so that the awning only holds 2 instead of 3 gallons.
I believe that once the awning gets stretched with a pocket in it nothing will solve the problem but a new awning. Our tube also has a curve in it now.
I asked for a new awning, before taking it to the service center, but they do what they want, don't listen to the customers, and spend more time arguing with you,:confused: instead of just doing it right, :rolleyes: to make their customers happy. Heartland is the opposite of the Fansatic Fan Company!:eek:
In my business I was taught that the customer is always right!!
My awning has been minor compared to alot of my other problems, especially our pillows.:D

Last edited:

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Wild Wind, why dont you just get another 5th wheel from some other company and be happy with that group and let this group be pleased with what we have. Its getting a bit old with you being never happy about anything!! I like to hear other prblems but not complain and wine all the time. If you have a bad coach LET IT GO!! Evans & Lana

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Awning comments

Many thanks to all who commented on what happens on their awning. I think some of you are right that the awning will stretch if it ever starts to collect water and doesn't seem to recover. ChopperBill......evidently your 3055RL awning hasn't started to get a belly in it........yet. Maybe the rain in your area is a lot lighter....;) It must be the good mountain air.

Ken........I think on the 3055RL the awning could be mounted higher where it's fastened to the trailer. It could help some but I hate to do it and leave unsightly patches on the side of the trailer. I did look closer at mine and the mounting strip (on the trailer) has been mounted with a dip in it about halfway down the strip. It's about a 1" dip and may contribute to a low spot in the awning. I would think that the strip should be a straight line
run.....or maybe even upwardly bowed in the center.

Again....thanks all

Tom

BigBlue

BigBlue
I've seen a tip on RV Today a while back about putting a ball of the right size between the awning and the slideout. This puts tension back into the slide and because it pushes up on the awning the water can't collect on the awning.

sharmulst

Just an opinion from a couple more people. We think the slide awnings are a waste of time and money. Our BH does not have them and we are very thankful. Our previous trailer did and we were not happy. They flopped in the wind, once snow accumulated between the awning and the top of the slide, if you don't think that was fun. Steve much prefers to get up and check the slides before we close them, sweep them off and be on our way. To date we have not had a problem because of not having them on the BH.
Steve and sharon

Midastouch

BigBlue ...

I had a picture in my mind after reading this post of putting something between the slide and awning to raise it slightly ... This is a post that interests me because I can see myself with the same problem with the Grand Canyon. It seems there would be something on the market to remedy that ... there's a gadget on the market for just about everything else! :rolleyes:

ChopperBill

I thought I saw an awning that had and extra roller in the middle. Anyone? Like I said my TC awning is 3 years old and still tighter than a drum and has been through many a down pour. When I was talking to Butch at RVs For Less they said they don't put on the Heartland awning if favor of an after market because the were better. Don't really know the details.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I agree with sharmulst, the slide awnings are of no use to me. A quick trip to the roof with a leaf blower and all the leafs, sticks, acorns, water, pine cones, snow, etc are just blown away. Try removing all this with the awning in the way.

K

Ken Washington

That's the reason for having the awning. They keep all that stuff off the top of the slide and also keeps the sun from heating up the top of the slides. Lord knows we don't need anything else heating up our units! I did see something that can be added up under the awning that pushes up on the awning when it's opened and folds away when you close the slide.
Ken

ct0218

I agree with Ken, that extra layer stopping the sun's heat helps a lot. Mine sag in the middle because of all the rain in our area, but no trash gets on the roof, and I can keep it cool when its 95 degrees and 90% humidity.

K

Ken Washington

I have heard some say that it is not easy to clean under the slide awnings. We who own Heartlands can put our slides in one at a time and clean them from the inside of our units. Just a thought!
Ken

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Ken
I do like the option to open and close each slide all together or one by one. This is real nice when you want to do a quick stop and make a lunch along the road. Sometimes the campsite is a little small (for me that is most of the time) and there is not enough room for a slide. Anyway, the main thing is to keep the dirt and rain on the outside and the clean and dry on the inside.